It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did you like about Reagan?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   
SDI or better known as the REGAN STAR WARS PROGRAM!!!

[edit on 21-12-2006 by Ford Farmer]

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Ford, I can't tell: are you for or against the Star Wars program?
Thanks, FL.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
yeah, I liked when he threatened the Russians with his star wars death ray.

I also think he singlehandedly bankrupted the soviet union. Clinton rode on his coat tail by slashing the military that reagan helped to build up.

America owes alot to this man.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I am proud of, and for the maintence, and upgrading of SDI.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
It's unfortunate that we didn't take SDI that seriously at the time. If we had, maybe we wouldn't so worried about the DPRK and Iran now.

Reagan was certainly a visionary, even though it may no longer be the Russians we're worried about.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Ronnie Reagan had a sense of humor that no other president could match, even in the worst of times.

"My fellow Americans. I'm pleased to announce that I've signed legislation outlawing the Soviet Union. We begin bombing in five minutes." –joking during a mike check before his Saturday radio broadcast

"I hope you're all Republicans." -speaking to surgeons as he entered the operating room following a 1981 assassination attempt

"Honey, I forgot to duck." -to his wife, Nancy, after surviving the assassination attempt

"I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency — even if I'm in a Cabinet meeting."

Ronnies was also a wise man....

If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. I think conservatism is really a misnomer just as liberalism is a misnomer for the liberals -- if we were back in the days of the Revolution, so-called conservatives today would be the Liberals and the liberals would be the Tories. The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom and this is a pretty general description also of what libertarianism is. Now, I can’t say that I will agree with all the things that the present group who call themselves Libertarians in the sense of a party say, because I think that like in any political movement there are shades, and there are libertarians who are almost over at the point of wanting no government at all or anarchy.

* Interview published in Reason (1975-07-01)

What if free people could live secure in the knowledge that their security did not rest upon the threat of instant U.S. retaliation to deter a Soviet attack, that we could intercept and destroy strategic ballistic missiles before they reached our own soil or that of our allies? I know this is a formidable, technical task, one that may not be accomplished before the end of this century. Yet, current technology has attained a level of sophistication where it's reasonable for us to begin this effort. It will take years, probably decades of effort on many fronts. There will be failures and setbacks, just as there will be successes and breakthroughs. And as we proceed, we must remain constant in preserving the nuclear deterrent and maintaining a solid capability for flexible response. But isn't it worth every investment necessary to free the world from the threat of nuclear war? We know it is.

* Address to the Nation on Defense and National Security ("Star Wars Speech") (1983-03-23)

He was also a very grateful to the people who put him in office and knew his place in the political realm....

Although I held public office for a total of sixteen years, I also thought of myself as a citizen-politician, not a career one. Every now and then when I was in government, I would remind my associates that "When we start thinking of government as 'us' instead of 'them,' we've been here too long." By that I mean that elected officeholders need to retain a certain skepticism about the perfectibility of government.

* Address to the Los Angeles Junior Chamber of Commerce, (1991-07-10).

In closing, let me thank you, the American people, for giving me the great honor of allowing me to serve as your president. When the Lord calls me home, whenever that day may be, I will leave with the greatest love for this country of ours and eternal optimism for its future. I now begin the journey that will lead me into the sunset of my life. I know that for America there will always be a bright dawn ahead.

* Letter announcing Alzheimer's diagnosis (1994-11-05)

A great man indeed!!!

I wasnt born until 1985, but I grew up with a picture of Reagan on our mantle. We have a room in the house now my dad made dedicated to Ronald Reagan. He wasnt just respected in our house, he was loved because he opened himself up to the American people while in office. We knew him and he knew us.

[edit on 3/5/2007 by ludaChris]

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Here are some quotes.
I will list may favourites and post a link to the rest.

Don't be afraid to see what you see.

Freedom is one of the deepest and noblest aspirations of the human spirit.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.

link

Indeed we should all take heed that Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 07:15 AM
link   
1) He stood up to major powers (USSR) that were a real or perceived threat to the US.

2) He put back in their place lesser powers that were a real or perceived threat to US interests.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
This is amazing to me how this thread keeps coming back to life periodically. That's great!

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Reagan ensured that Thatcher and the UK got the support from the US Government during the Falklands war.

And the special bond between the US and UK seemed no stronger that at the time of Thatcher and Reagan.

And remember the respect the US gave him following his death. The images of his horse with his boots backward has always remained in my mind

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I like the fact that a whole political community can't come up with new political agenda's or create a independant thought with out pulling out a Reaganomics political operating hand book..Thats out-dated by 20 years. No wonder this country can't move forward. You have the right who sleep with visions of Reagan dancing in their head and the left who sleep with dreams of Clinton doing a 3rd term. Once again proving that this countries political landscape needs a face lift with the leadership of a 3rd party. Ouch......

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Before he took his national stage, I never knew Reagan the actor. I guess he was always there in my life like the rest of the background noise. But he never stood out till he ran for president against carter.

When he stepped up, and spoke, he was a breath of fresh air.

The secret of his success was that when he said something, he truly believed what he said.

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Here we go Reagan below I will present a link to his 1964 A Time for Choosing speech.
link

Both audio and transcript are available the speech is certainly worth listening to and you could certainly swap the Soviet Union with Islamic extremism. While I'm not against the government helping those in genuine need Reagan was right about the fact that government programs alone cant wipe out poverty.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
He was the best President the US had - during my lifetime, at least.

He was honest to himself and thus the rest of us.

He singlehandedly brought communism to it's knees and was wholly responsible for the demise of the Soviet Union (an entity for which I hold some very real, very personal, and yes, admittedly very biased disgust and disdain).

He made the majority of Americans proud to be American while remaining humble in his demeanor. As opposed to the present day, the rest of the world did not view Americans so negatively - in part because I believe Ronald Reagan was well-liked and admired in most democratic nations around the globe.

He took a bullet - and kept on going, with a humor and grace I doubt many world leaders could match today.

He loved freedom - and despised government interventions and impacts upon that freedom. He esteemed in individuality and personal growth.

He was warm and personable. He made a genuine effort to connect and communicate with the American people - and all people worldwide.

He never disgraced his office or his person. He was loyal and trustworthy.

He believed in intelligent life elsewhere in the universe and expressed such belief in many ways publicly and privately and on many occasions in venues of all sorts - including the United Nations and to the media.

He was strong and held firm to his convictions without being pretentious or overbearing. He surrounded himself with experts and relied on their judgment - and knew when it was time to accept the counsel of others and make a decision. He did not take his responsibility lightly.

He believed in us - and so we believed in him. It was a wonderful time to be an American...

Rest in peace Ronnie...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join