It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is there no Peace Movement?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I have just read then re-read, the threads on the ATSW chapter entitled, 'Sir! No Sir! A Film About The Gi Movement Against The War In Vietnam', and it got me thinking.

Why is there no peace movement against the war in Iraq? Are the silent majority of US citizens for the war? [I know there are a few Iraq War Vets going around the USA trying to drum up support, by why is there almost total apathy in the US?]

Before I get canned for saying that, please remember that here in the UK, we don't see what is happening in day-to-day America.

Is there a peace movement? Does it have widespread public support?

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Fritz
I think there are several reasons.
1. People are scared of being marked pro-terrorism.
2. People are so busy fighting to pay their bills they don't have time to protest.
3. After the patriot acts people are reluctant to speak up in public.
....and more perhaps.

I'd would NOT participate in a peace march, in these days, out of fear of being prosecuted. SAD.
WIS

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Why is there no peace movement? A truly excellent question. First of all, we have no leaders with the balls to lead such a movement. I suppose many are afraid of the repercussions....

But a true leader wouldn't be afraid. We need a lot of leaders that aren't afraid to go against the Status Quo.....will we ever see any? If any get into power, my fear is they will end up like JFK!!

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
its all because we lack a counter-culture movement (though i'm taking it upon myself to help start this)

fritz, the HIPPIES started the anti-war movement, but what counter-cultural group do we have today? (besides what's left of the hippies)

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Madness - I couldn't agree more. I spent several months this summer working with hundreds Teens and Youth and I was floored by the lack of rebellious spirit I encountered. These kids do what I thought unthinkable at their age - accept what they are told by the authrority without question. Sure they bitched and complained about it but when I suggested they question authority I was met with blank stares like I was speaking latin. They, honestly, had no idea what I was talking about. The spirit has been quite thoroughly drained from them and their culture - It is indeed, A Brave New World of sleeping cattle being led down the garden path...

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
All a peace movement would do is give aid and comfort to the enemy.

If we learned anything from VietNam I thought that would be it.

Al-Queda, bin-Laden, Sadamm, and now Iran, have already used Democrat talking points. Why keep giving them ammunition?

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Yeah, I couldnt imagine a bunch of emo kids getting all anti establishment. Just imagine all the anti-war slogans you would see scrawled across thier chests with box-cutters. lol.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   
First thing that startled, yes, startled me out when I just five days ago first came on this great site (my very first posts in BUSHKRIEG: Shock and Awe... >My Contribution) was preciesely the question fritz puts.

Why are they only talking, why don't they act? I keep asking myself.

I still think it's because of Fear, the demon god of today, and because it's the one our leaders wants us to worship.

fritz, there are anti-war movements in US of today, but only few thousands show up. Like Michael More and the usual suspects.

I'm still waiting for the Washington marches to reoccur - and I still do believe that's what stopped the Nam War. Sadly I also do know, the present leadership wouldn't allow it to be repeated.
They would rather kill their own people, than stand down their NeoCon politics defeated.

And for WIS, I understand you, but too... sad you ain't marching anymore. Considering your signature.

Don't surrender to the demon god.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Oh there definitely is a peace movement but, at the same time, I would have to say that it hasn't really been able to lift off. Yes, the war in Iraq is probably illegal and perhaps immoral. However, one nagging issue remains hanging over the entire "peace movement" which probably keeps it from taking off as it once did during the Viet Nam War.

The issue is that there IS an enemy that CAN and HAS struck the U.S. Oh it might not be the Iraqis but, at the same time, this same enemy is in Iraq. That enemy is Extremist Islamic Fundamentalism. The U.S. might pull out of Iraq but the extremists will still be there fomenting discord and causing death. Even the North Viet Namese and Viet Cong recognized the power of the peace movement enough to not target peace workers.....whereas in Iraq, no one seems to be safe.....even if they are obviously working for peace, working for the Iraqi people.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I think the short answer is, the american people don't want a peace movement.

If they did want one, you'd see it before the sun sets tomorrow night.

Most of us old enough to remember Vietnam remember the damage the peace movement did to our military's ability to do the job, and remember the aid and comfort the Vietnamese admitted they got from the knowledge of a US domestic peace movement.

A lot of people are NOT against the war, regardless of what the media tries to manufacture. The army has met its recruitment goals for the year, and for each of the past 15 months. That alone says it all.

The sixties might as well have been a thousand years ago. The issues are different today, and the old hippie mentality has proven not to hold the answers people want.

A lot of people in America feel like the govt is on target enough; certainly not perfectly so, but good enough that there's no reason to choose appeasement instead.

We were "at peace" when we were attacked on 9-11-01. As we were in 1993, when the trade towers were attacked the first time. So it's not JUST about our stance regarding Israel----It's about us existing at all.

The terrorists are not motivated by economics or the redress of grievances; they want to see American civilians die. How is a "peace movement" going to do anything but help them kill more Americans?

Naturally, other nations think our response is extreme or wicked; such impressions come easily to disinterrested observers. But as the terrorists turn to other, "softer targets," it will be interesting to see if other countries persist in their calls for moderation. Americans put a high price on their own dead.

And despite what others think of Bush, there have been no new embassy bombings; no more American warships have been blown up; no more planes hijacked or skyscrapers demolished. Compare that with the previous administration, from 1992 to 2000, and you see how the two strategies compare.

Viewed in those terms, a "peace movement" seem worse than counterproductive, it seems like an invitation to the country's enemies.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   
?

No peace movement? I'd think that all those anti-war groups and pro-peace groups would beg to differ.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Oh there sure is a peace movement! I happen to be part of it. One of the problem is that we don't get any press coverage. (Thanks Clearchannel!)

I do attend protests and peace rallies and no they aren't as large as those that took place during Vietnam, but they exist.

People are afraid though. In the sixties you had to worry about a few narcs running around and maybe you would get arrested. Today you can be labeled a terrorist, held indefinitely, or even disappeared. The safehouses are too few and far between and its hard to stay under the radar. The stakes are much higher. It's no reason to give up, but we do have to be careful.

If there are narcs here, you can just add this to my CIA file you fascist pigs!

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
WiS had it right; people are too busy living their lives to be bothered with peace. When your paying out the nose for gas, working more than 40 hours a week, and trying to raise a family its kind of hard to find time to go march around DC with signs. Until the debts racked up by the War on Terror start adversely affecting the economy in a way felt by consumers in places beyond the gas tank then nobody will care.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by wellwhatnow:
People are afraid though. In the sixties you had to worry about a few narcs running around and maybe you would get arrested. Today you can be labeled a terrorist, held indefinitely, or even disappeared. The safehouses are too few and far between and its hard to stay under the radar. The stakes are much higher. It's no reason to give up, but we do have to be careful.

...thanks to far more sophisticatted survaillance methods and restrictive laws only a police state worthy.

I used to be in the Vietnam and NDA movements. Seems like sugarland compared with today.

Keep on!

top topics

join