It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA scrubs Atlantis launch under storm threat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
BOO! Stupid Ernesto... Maybe it'll keep swinging east in its unexpected fashion and entirely miss the continental US. Not only would that be good for a launch, but for all the people in Florida and up the Atlantic coast.

CNN

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, Florida (CNN) -- NASA will not launch space shuttle Atlantis on Tuesday as Tropical Storm Ernesto threatens Florida, the space agency said Monday morning.

NASA said it will immediately begin preparations to move Atlantis from the launch pad, Dean Acosta, NASA press secretary, said.

Ernesto weakened to a tropical storm Sunday afternoon, the National Hurricane Center said, but forecasters warned the storm could regain hurricane status as it moved toward Cuba.

NASA is dealing with a tight time frame for Atlantis. The launch window is from August 27 through September 13. But NASA has a commitment to the Russian space agency to launch before September 7, so the Atlantis mission will not interfere with a scheduled Russian Soyuz flight to the space station in mid-September.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   
whats that the fith time it's been delayed...
I wouldnt step in a rocket that lightning has struck,No way

jra

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by tribaltrip
whats that the fith time it's been delayed...
I wouldnt step in a rocket that lightning has struck,No way

Fifth time it's been delayed? The launch window only opened up a couple days ago. I don't think it could have been delayed five times since then. And the lightning hit the lightning rod on the launch pad, not the rocket.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Im not to sure but i have heard it been delayed a whole bunch...
I know more then twice...

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by tribaltrip
I’m not to sure but i have heard it been delayed a whole bunch...
I know more then twice...

It was originally Sunday...then monday, but now with the tropical storm...Nasa says September 6th is the earliest they can launch.

This tropical storm is getting way to much coverage on the news...its a measly 45mph breeze.

But the reason is Katrina was one year ago...so now the crazy left media needs to make people think that this one will wipe us all out. New Orleans wasn't as bad as they were saying...Iraq isn't as bad as there saying...nothing ever is.

(sorry...I got a little political)

**takes deep breath**

Anywho...I'm looking forward to the launch...Finally back to working on the ISS.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Heres an article that I'm not a fan of.

Russia Mulls New Space Station And Missions To The Moon And Mars

The International Space Station will be dismantled after 2015 to be replaced with a new orbital station, a Russian Space Agency official said Tuesday.

"It is necessary because at present we can monitor less than 10% of Russian territory, but with a new station the coverage will be increased tenfold," said Vitaly Davydov, deputy head of the agency.

ok, Nasa said they would dedicate the next four years of shuttle launches to finishing construction on the Space Station...and now Russia is saying there planning on disassembling it in 9 years because it doesn't fly over there country enough.

Geez, I know Russia doesn't have much money...but damn, they cant even afford to have enough satellites cover their own country.

[edit on 29-8-2006 by Murcielago]

top topics

join