It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Nation, Under God

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
people say: "but most people believe in god, so we should allow it anyway, it's just a small group that's angry"

democracy shouldn't be an oppressive dictatorship of the majority....

that is all i have to say

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
We should get rid of "One Nation under God."

There's no reason for it to be there other than tradition. It's fine to have God as part of our culture but theres no reason to imply that some vague entity known as God is somehow controlling the most powerful nation on Earth.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76
We should get rid of "One Nation under God."

There's no reason for it to be there other than tradition.

actually, it isn't even tradition. the original form of the pledge didn't contain "under god"
it was added in the 50s

It's fine to have God as part of our culture

i'd have to disagree with you on that, but this isn't a thread about that particular issue

but theres no reason to imply that some vague entity known as God is somehow controlling the most powerful nation on Earth.

agreed.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I want to get rid of it for two reasons. One, it really is respecting the establishment of a religion, or religions. Two, well... I think Theodore Roosevelt said it best.

"My own feeling in the matter is due to my very firm conviction that to put such a motto on coins, or to use it in any kindred manner, not only does no good but does positive harm, and is in effect irreverence, which comes dangerously close to sacrilege...It is a motto which it is indeed well to have inscribed on our great national monuments, in our temples of justice, in our legislative halls, and in building such as those at West Point and Annapolis -- in short, wherever it will tend to arouse and inspire a lofty emotion in those who look thereon. But it seems to me eminently unwise to cheapen such a motto by use on coins, just as it would be to cheapen it by use on postage stamps, or in advertisements." - Theodore Roosevelt

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
I want to get rid of it for two reasons. One, it really is respecting the establishment of a religion, or religions. Two, well... I think Theodore Roosevelt said it best.

SNIP

I like ol Teddy.. A LOT,

but I disagree with him on this one.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Bah, we're having the same conversation in two threads.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Thats why I wont go no futher in this one except to say I really like the Teddy quote. I liked him alot.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join