It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POTS, Parting on the Square

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I see this often in chatrooms where masons gather. When they are leaving they say POTS (Parting on the Square). Can someone explain further the meaning behind this anachronym?

Thanks

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Symbollically the Square teaches us to live our lives as moral and ethically as we can. You part on the square so when you leave each other you are reminding him to continue being the best person he can be.

So some might say good-bye, see ya later, take care or POTS. i don't hear it too often.

Cory

Good question though-

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by corsig
So some might say good-bye, see ya later, take care or POTS. i don't hear it too often.

If you went to Lodge you'd hear it everytime it closes.

Freemasons "meet on the Level" and "part on the Square."

Meet on the "Level," in a group of Freemasons, no man is "better" than another... Kind of blows the whole "rank" deal... But that's the way it is.

Parting on the "Square" is just another way of saying departing as honest and true friends... "Brothers" if you will.

This is a basic example of how the Symbols of Freemasonry are applied in everyday life. Horrible, isn't it?

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Thanks, I was wondering what it meant exactly.
So do masons have a "cryptic" language like this then? With various words and phrases that will distinguish them?

My Uncle told me that one way he can find out if someone is a mason is by saying something like "Have you travelled to the East?" (I think this means a Past Master), and he can determine by their answer if they are a mason.

[edit on 24-8-2006 by chief_counsellor]

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I don't know about that last one, but I discovered a Mason (who I already knew as an acquaintance) the other day when he answered one of my questions with "yeah, straight up" (evoking a gauge or ruler) So the lingo/language has obviously been modernised by some!

None of that stuff is formalised, though, except for the official, regular modes of recognition.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Also, the Square is in reference to the 4th Sphere(Chesed or Atma) of the Tree of Life and represents Right and Exactness, or living in accordance with the Truth, or dealing fairly and charitably with others in our day to day life.

This is why Ra Un Nefer Amen teaches that MAAT(Goddess of Truth) is related to the 4th Sphere on the Tree of Life.

And is why one might hear members of the N.O.I., Moorish Science, Nation of Gods and Earths, etc. say "Stand on my Square".

To live according to the Immeasurable in a measurable world.

MAAT

METU NETER Vol. 1, Pg. 224

Maat, pronounced "Ma-aut", corresponds to the faculty within man wherein is intuited and experienced the urge to live truth (according to the laws of the indwelling self). The name and the meaning derived from the hieroglyph that is the phonetic symbol of "Maa"-the measure of a cubit. The connection of measurement with Truth is one of the most profound achievements of the African mind. We saw that the name of Maat's compliment (brother/husband), Tehuti, is also based on the idea of measurement. When something, one side of an equation is known, it is because we have an objective standard, the other side of the equation, against which to measure it. Hence the "double measure" or "Tehu-ti", the "utchau metut" (Weighing of Words) and the Weighing of the Heart judgment, etc.

The construction of all things and the unfolding of all events are based on universal patterns underlying the activities of all natural forces. While some of the patterns underlying physical phenomena have been discovered and codified by Western scientists (E.g., chemistry, physics), Africans and other Nonwestern people have discovered and codified the patterns governing our day to day existence and spiritual development. In other words, the quality of life, the destiny of men and nations are ruled by forces that are as measurable and subject to codification into immutable laws as are the factors governing physical and chemical phenomena. In the esoteric tradition, the branch of study governing these laws is Cosmology. The embodiment of these laws (moral canon), against which the actions and beliefs of Man are weighed/measured, is Maat.

By extension, the term 'Maat' has several denotations in the everyday language of the Kamitic people; straight, rule, law, canon by which the lives of men is kept straight, real unalterable ("it, the law, hath never been altered since the time of Ausar"), upright, righteous and steadfast or consistent. The last correspondence, "steadfast or consistent", is of extreme importance. In the Kamitic tradition, a person cannot claim that he is living truth if he has not been consistent in the observance of the spiritual laws at each and every crossroad situation. This is why it is said, "Today as Yesterday, Tomorrow as Today, is Truth!"

We have seen that the basis of Truth is living by a standard imposed by our essential divine nature. This leads unavoidably to the question of where does man find the strength to rise to a moral standard of which God is the standard of measure. In the Kamitic tradition the answer has been concealed in their metaphoric (so-called mythologic) mode of communicating spiritual scientific information. Maat is the daughter of Ra, we are told. But its meaning has been clouded by the popular belief that Ra represents the Sun, or the Sun God. "Ra", pronounced Rau, and not Re (hence Aur-light; Aurum-gold, oro, Aura, Aurora, RAdiation, ARdent-fiery, etc.) corresponds to the solar energy or life force stored in physical bodies. It is the kundalini of the Hindus, the chi of Chinese metaphysics, Aganyu of the Yorubas, Dambadah Wedo of the Fons, etc.

An abundance of life force, which is required through proper diet, adequate exercise and the avoidance of sensual excesses, is required for developing the strength to live truth. The implications of this fact are that as long as people are kept ignorant of how to cultivate their life force, and worse, kept indulging in a lifestyle characterized by wrong diet, sexual excesses, etc., they will never intuit, understand, or find the strength to live truth. Society must then be doomed to ever deepening decadence. Salvation, they teach, can supposedly be achieved by asking for God's forgiveness after a life of debauchery.

Maat is generally depicted as a woman holding the Ankh cross, symbol of the heka Aung, in one hand and the Papyrus scepter, representing the book of the law, in the other. On her head rests the feather--her main symbol-- which is the standard against which the will (the heart/ab) of the initiate is weighed. In one pan of the scale is placed the heart and in the other, the feather, which symbolizes the lightness of truth, that is the absence of emotional force that characterizes the action of truth. A fact little known to Egyptologists is that in her furrow (a wrinkle in her face) lays concealed the scepter of flint which she confers upon the initiate after he has been found to be "true of heart" (to have lived truth). That it is to be used to kindle the fire of Ra, is a hint regarding the life force (kundalini) arousing power of living truth. This is the key of the supreme mantra caitanya (mantra awakening) secret that has eluded many yogis for millenniums.

© Ra Un Nefer Amen

[edit on 24-8-2006 by Tamahu]

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roark
"yeah, straight up"

Ah, that one never occured to me.

A lot of the slang used by urban youth is inspired by esoteric symbolism.

For example:

Originally posted by Tamahu
And is why one might hear members of the N.O.I., Moorish Science, Nation of Gods and Earths, etc. say "Stand on my Square".

Peace "G", really means Peace God and not "gangster".

In a booklet that comes with the The Five Percent Album, Lord Jamar mentions that the B-Boy stance is really symbolic of Standing on the Square.

www.dorkmag.com...

Lord Jamar: Hip-hop and The Nation of Gods and Earths are inextricably linked. Both movements originated on the streets of New York and both are responses to the marginalization suffered by the so-called underclass. Elements of the Five Percent ethos can be found throughout hip-hop. Fundamental things like the b-boy stance and terms like "peace", "sun", and "word" are all borrowed from Five Percent mysticism. The legendary skate shop, Supreme probably got the inspiration for its moniker from the Five Percenters (Supreme Mathematics -- a concept central to their teachings).

Lord Jamar's 5% Album seeks to demystify The Nation of Gods and Earths. It has the feel of a Brand Nubian album mixed with a Wu-Tang album. RZA provides production and guest stars on Deep Space. Grand Puba, GZA, Papa Wu and Raekwon also make guest appearances. My favorite track features the sons of GZA, ODB, and Lord Jamar. Opening line -- "I watch Star Wars just to see Yoda/My thoughts get iller as I get older." Classic!

allahsfivepercent.blogspot.com...

Peace,

Do the Knowledge to the website of Jamel Shabazz. He has CLASSIC pictures in there. A great offering of pictures of the Gods and Earths also. Those in the know will recognize that the above stances are two classic God stance. The God on the left standing 'on Square' with his arms right over left (yes this preceeded the B-Boy stance) and the God on the right pointing to the brain or center of intellect. If you look at some old pictures and see these stances you may be suprised to see 'who is God'.

Peace

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Also, the Square is in reference to the 4th Sphere(Chesed or Atma) of the Tree of Life ...

Ah... right. OR, it could be just a reference to the tool known as a square... fitting with the stoneworking motif of the freemasons.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by chief_counsellor
So do masons have a "cryptic" language like this then? With various words and phrases that will distinguish them?

Not really, but sorta.

As with any hobby or experience, there is a particular lingo involved, that only makes sense between fellow participants.

For instance, a man is walking down the street, and gets hit by a bus. An onlooker remarks "Ooh, failed his Reflex Save...". A pen-and-paper RPG player will recognize the onlooker as kin, while most other folks just wouldn't get it.

Same deal here.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   
they do have various forms of cryptic communications, some of which are easy to learn if you look.. it is the age of information after all. amung others they have a written script called the royal arch cypher, which is almost (dare i say) sublime in it's simplicity. I wont explain it here out of respect for those masons i have gotten to know here.. but it can be found with great ease if you make the effort to find and learn it

Also.. while i have not heard it myself.. i have a friend whos grandfather and uncles are all masons and he has said that when they gather together with the family, half the time they arent speaking english amung themselves.. now as i havent heard them speaking it, i couldnt say if it is a masonic tongue or japanese.. but he said that they told him he would learn to speak it when he joined the order

And yes, they do have many many questions and replies that will inform them as to weither or not another person is a mason, i am familiar with a few of them and to the above..

"Have you travelled to the East?"
[edit on 24-8-2006 by chief_counsellor]

is acually close, but not completly correct, and is acually part of the answer to the question "Have you traversed the burning sands" (i was asked this question once when i had noticed the compass and square on the ring finger of the hand i was shaking).

[edit on 25-8-2006 by Becon of Light]

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

If you went to Lodge you'd hear it everytime it closes.

Freemasons "meet on the Level" and "part on the Square."

Meet on the "Level," in a group of Freemasons, no man is "better" than another... Kind of blows the whole "rank" deal... But that's the way it is.

Parting on the "Square" is just another way of saying departing as honest and true friends... "Brothers" if you will.

This is a basic example of how the Symbols of Freemasonry are applied in everyday life. Horrible, isn't it?

I was not sure if I could write that part cause cause I was told I couldn't S-S-C-C-P-P..etc

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Is the guy on the right Darrly Strawberry for the 86 Mets?

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hobbes

Also, the Square is in reference to the 4th Sphere(Chesed or Atma) of the Tree of Life ...

Ah... right. OR, it could be just a reference to the tool known as a square... fitting with the stoneworking motif of the freemas
ons.

I didn't say it isn't.

Try actually reading the info I provided from Ra Un Nefer Amen.

Anyway, my next recommendation for you as a start, is to read Manly P. Hall's "The Secret Teachings of All Ages".

He was light-years beyond(even before he joined the Order!!!) the average modern Mason who, from my experience, are nothing but "scoundrels of the intellect".

It seems odd that someone(a Mason no-less) would think that those who founded the Masonic Order were ignorant of Kabbalistic symbolism(and would think they didn't utilize it).

kalignosis.com...

...The Hidden Christ is Lord of the Great Rebellion: the one who has been rejected by the priests, by the elders and by the scribes of the temple.

Priests hate him, that is, they do not comprehend him. They wish that the Lord of Perfection would live exclusively in time, according to their unbreakable dogmas.

The elders, that is, the Earth dwellers, good head of households, sensible, judicious people, abhor the Logos, the Red Christ, the Christ of the Great Rebellion, because he is beyond their world of habits and antiquated, reactionary, petrified customs from so many yesterdays.

The scribes of the temple, the scoundrels of the intellect abhor the Intimate Christ because he is the antithesis of the Antichrist. He is the declared enemy of all the decaying university theories which abound so widely in the markets of bodies and souls.

The Three Traitors mortally hate the Hidden Christ and lead him to death within us and within our psychological space.

Judas, the demon of desire always exchanges the Lord for thirty pieces of silver, or better said, for liquor, money, fame, vanity, fornication, adultery, etc.

Pilate, the demon of the mind, always washes his hands, always pleads not guilty, is never at fault, constantly justifies his actions to himself and to others, seeks excuses and loopholes in order to evade his own responsibilities, etc.

Caiaphas, the demon of evil will, unceasingly betrays the Lord within ourselves. The Intimate Adored One gives him the shepherd’s staff to lead his sheep pasture, but the cynical traitor converts the altar into a bed of pleasures, fornicates incessantly, commits adultery, sells the sacraments, etc.

These Three Traitors compel the adored Intimate Lord to suffer in secret without any compassion whatsoever.

Pilate forces him to put the crown of thorns upon his temples; evil “I’s” scourge him, insult him, curse him in the innermost psychological space with no mercy of any kind.

– Samael Aun Weor

[edit on 25-8-2006 by Tamahu]

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Is the guy on the right Darrly Strawberry for the 86 Mets?

I don't know, its very possible.

There a quite few celebrities who are members of the N.O.I. and N.G.E.

Just as there are many celebrities who are Masons.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
What did the early stonemasons use the square for? How is the square used? If I understand what a square is used for, I could see how the principles are applied in symbolism.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TamahuHe was light-years beyond(even before he joined the Order!!!) the average modern Mason who, from my experience, are nothing but "scoundrels of the intellect".

the average mason isn't a scoundrel any more than you or I are scoundrels. If they seem, "Average," as it were, it is mostly likely that they are. Not all Mason's have received the light. One must first make their mind [temple] suitable for reception of the Spirit of Truth. We can see this truth in the the symbolism of the rough and smooth Ashlar. Until such a time as illumination occurs, all, not just Freemason's, will remain in relative darkness.

Originally posted by TamahuIt seems odd that someone(a Mason no-less) would think that those who founded the Masonic Order were ignorant of Kabbalistic symbolism(and would think they didn't utilize it).

Odd indeed. Perhaps this is a pearl?

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Why would you think I hadn't?

It seems odd that someone(a Mason no-less) would think that those who founded the Masonic Order were ignorant of Kabbalistic symbolism(and would think they didn't utilize it).

I don't remember ever saying such a thing.

What I'm saying is that someone asks a simple question, with an equally simple answer, and one goes completely philosophical instead of just providing the simple answer.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   

What did the early stonemasons use the square for? How is the square used?

Early craftsmen used the square to verify right angles in their work. They could hold it to a stone block and see if it was properly formed.

In speculative masonry, we 'square ourselves against the square of virtue'... using virtue as a guide, we can see if our actions and our selves are properly formed, and as such improve ourselves in that direction.

'Parting upon the square' is an admonishment that being a mason doesn't stop at the door of the lodge. We are expected to act with virtue in our daily lives.

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucum per lucerna

Originally posted by TamahuHe was light-years beyond(even before he joined the Order!!!) the average modern Mason who, from my experience, are nothing but "scoundrels of the intellect".

the average mason isn't a scoundrel any more than you or I are scoundrels. If they seem, "Average," as it were, it is mostly likely that they are. Not all Mason's have received the light. One must first make their mind [temple] suitable for reception of the Spirit of Truth. We can see this truth in the the symbolism of the rough and smooth Ashlar. Until such a time as illumination occurs, all, not just Freemason's, will remain in relative darkness.

Agreed.

To make the Rough Ashlar, Perfect, is the main theme of completing the first Two Mountains of the Path.

For one to have even set foot on the First Mountain is something extraordinary.

And I'm certainly not exempt from being classified as a "scoundrel of the intellect".

However, from the extremely myopic responses we usually get from Masons; it is obvious that many of them are not even trying, or are not willing to learn.

Either that, or many Masons(not all of course) are purposefully trying to hide things that really ought to be elaborated on for the masses of this suffering humanity.

It would just be nice if instead of getting smart-aleck or cynical and skeptical remarks most of the time, if certain Masonic Brothers would open their minds every once in a while.

Some Masons have admitted that this kind of thing has become a problem in recent years.

Originally posted by TamahuIt seems odd that someone(a Mason no-less) would think that those who founded the Masonic Order were ignorant of Kabbalistic symbolism(and would think they didn't utilize it).

Odd indeed. Perhaps this is a pearl?

As in a "Pearl of Great Price"?

Regards

[edit on 26-8-2006 by Tamahu]

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hobbes

Why would you think I hadn't?

Your myopic response is what made me think you hadn't

What I'm saying is that someone asks a simple question, with an equally simple answer, and one goes completely philosophical instead of just providing the simple answer.

The "simple answer" was already provided.

Perhaps I was just trying to add-on to the build.

What issue could one possibly have with that?

And then you go on to say this:

In speculative masonry, we 'square ourselves against the square of virtue'... using virtue as a guide, we can see if our actions and our selves are properly formed, and as such improve ourselves in that direction.

'Parting upon the square' is an admonishment that being a mason doesn't stop at the door of the lodge. We are expected to act with virtue in our daily lives.

Which was already addressed.

Aye aye aye!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join