It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's rise leaves West wondering

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 01:26 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...
Ambassador Sha responded strongly to the allegations. "It's better for the US to shut up," he said. "Keep quiet. It's much, much better."
i wonder,why he is so tough this time.well,there must be some change inside.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Do you think that USA would nuke China before they get too powerful?

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Does US has no other means to engage with China without nuke?China's rising could be a positive/win-win situation for the world depends on how you engage with it.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 02:09 AM
link   

No chance as the economic ties are too strong. Nuking China will be a big mistake for the U.S. and as devastating as it is for China. The only way the U.S. will nuke China is if China nukes the U.S. first, which is just as unlikely. Chances are, you won't see any armed conflict directly between the two nations in our lifetime (there is of course Taiwan, but that's another story and somewhat complicated).

As an American, I welcome China's rise as long as it is peaceful (as long as we stay on top
). The only thing I don't like about China is some of its policies and its government.

[edit on 19-8-2006 by MasterRegal]

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 02:30 AM
link   

nuke us?well,i hope there is a such day.but we will never get you the chance man.your dear macarthur tried it once ,ended with his sorrowful resignation.you want to try once more?

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deon

nuke us?well,i hope there is a such day.but we will never get you the chance man.your dear macarthur tried it once ,ended with his sorrowful resignation.you want to try once more?

I'm curious, why would you WANT China to nuke the U.S.? Such a scenario will not end with everyone having a cup a tea.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I don't like it, not one bit.

I don't hate the Chinese people, since they do offer alot of stuff,
and they have a cool and unique culture.
But I do dislike the chinese government, and it's attitudes.

If it comes to the point where China starts to try and cut us off
in resuorces, and starts creating more undemocratic states.

Than I think we should nuke there nuclear weapons facilities and
force them to be a democratic state, I'd say like us, but we're a
piss poor example anymore.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Considering how China's overpopulation is by no means an accident -- I mean really they're still a bunch of Communists -- we should not be looking for answers in that - beleaguered country anytime soon. Sure they have quite the cadre of engineers that they regularly churn out, what they are doing is simply a conspiracy in their ongoing efforts to take over the world. It is after all a tradition on their part with the general Zheng He being an excellent example of their rediculously awesome leadership prose. As soon as they get their way in somehow turning their entire country into a patchwork of a million Singapore's, it will be simply too late to say no to what will be a second United States of America. Maybe this will happen in 2050 or maybe later, but the point is that when they do modernize it will be all at once and too late for the rest of us i.e. 1989 Japan.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   
The fact is, China is NOT like the Soviet Union with 20,000 nuclear weapons pointed to the U.S. and its allies and a 5-million-man army ready for deployment. China is far more tame that the Soviet Union and while its rise is peaceful, the fact the people distrust the Chinses government makes their rise difficult for people. Can we trust them to continue to be peaceful? Can we become even closer allies? Can China be America's right hand man? I will love it for China to rise and be a close ally... but it is unlikely to happen for a very long time.

I would like to see where China goes and how they use their power. Don't forget, hundreds of years ago it was China and India that were the superpowers of the world.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I am apprehensive about China. The US could take out China's nukes on a first strike, but if China struck first it would be, of course, be mutual destruction. Though I do not think this will happen. Nukes are a touchy thing, and even though people assume big wars will involve nuclear warfare, I am not too sure it would.

I don't think there will be a war with the US and China anytime soon. Economics would stop that.

There are a lot of prominent US officials (like Donald Rumsfeld) who do not trust China at all, and are no doubt making possible attack scenarios if China started cutting the US off of resources.

And of course there are predictions where the US and Russia will jointly attack China and become the major superpowers again

It is definitely an uncertain world we live in. But it has always been that way. I lived during the Cold War, and nuclear destruction was going to happen ANY DAY back then. With age you start to get less jumpy and worried with things like this, and let things flow. Everything flows like a stream.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
The US could take out China's nukes on a first strike, but if China struck first it would be, of course, be mutual destruction.

I believe I read in a report that it will take only 350-400 (I think it was 398) to take out China and render it destroyed. Such an attack will result in about 325 million deaths in China alone. This does not inculude death from fallout and this does not include the injured. If I could find the report I will post it.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
There is fairly good book about this debacle and several other common questions that we all should look at more carefully at disinfo.com. There is a website to the book that delves deeper still into what this website also asks and tries to answer as well. It's the ubridled truth at its most serene especially if you're not into the always uncomfortable concept of honesty.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MasterRegal

The US could take out China's nukes on a first strike, but if China struck first it would be, of course, be mutual destruction.

I believe I read in a report that it will take only 350-400 (I think it was 398) to take out China and render it destroyed. Such an attack will result in about 325 million deaths in China alone. This does not inculude death from fallout and this does not include the injured. If I could find the report I will post it.

I didn't mean nuke all of China, I meant destroy their nukes. The US can take out China's and Russia's nuclear weapons before they launch them. If the US striked first of course. Who knows what the crazies here will do.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   

haha! hey look! those guys have more power than us! we have to nuke them before they nuke us!

you crazy pshyco

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 05:46 AM
link   
maybe they could take out nukes in 1st strike, but what do you do afterwards when nuke subs surface or receive signals for launch the missiles what do you do???

taking out the land base nukes still would not win a war would it? as subs carry nukes so unless you can take out land base, subs, and ships, you wont win.

[edit on 20-8-2006 by blobby]

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by blobby
maybe they could take out nukes in 1st strike, but what do you do afterwards when nuke subs surface or receive signals for launch the missiles what do you do???

taking out the land base nukes still would not win a war would it? as subs carry nukes so unless you can take out land base, subs, and ships, you wont win.

I don't know blobby? Destroy the subs maybe? Who knows. There is a good article describing that the US has nuclear primacy over the nations of the world. First strike only. I can try and find it for you if you want, it was published by the Council on Foreign Relations.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by blobby

I don't know blobby? Destroy the subs maybe? Who knows. There is a good article describing that the US has nuclear primacy over the nations of the world. First strike only. I can try and find it for you if you want, it was published by the Council on Foreign Relations.

Like any war as has been the case with the Cuban Missle Crisis, it's merely one leader versus the other. I'd imagine that in a full frontal war, nuclear warfare would only be initiated under an aura of disgust as opposed to the fear of being conquered. Will anything be worse than guerilla warfare? No as the nuclear option has yet proven itself to be a prime weapon of choice and all because of the immense amount of pollution generated in something that is viewed as being more hateful than absolutely anything thus far.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Oh and in case everyone didn't already notice, my avartar is in fact the shimmering new Shanghai Financial Centre and when completed "in early 2008 is expected to temporarily make it one of the tallest in the world." Ba-zing!

top topics

join