It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats required to maintain a webpage?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I have a spare computer, slightly old. It is running Windows XP.

Is it possible for it to be used as a server? I have a spare connection to my router for it to use.

What would be required in order to have a couple of webpages hosted through it on the web? Do i need to pay for a domain name? Or is it possible to have the IP address of the computer as 'its' url? I think I have seen urls like that, with an IP as the begining, and then everything else on directories.

I am just curious to see what is possible and if its worthwhile investigating.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
A lack of a soul.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Nygdan,

Personally, I wouldn't recommend configuring a "webserver" from a personal machine running WinXP. You'll probably spend more time updating, patching and dealing with "issues" than others will perusing your offerings. ?

All-in All, Yes you can. There are services which offer "domains" for dynamic servers/IPs, although I've not experienced the realiability of such.

IMO, your best bet would be to register a domain name with one of the "reduced-rate/subsidized" registrars [godaddy, etc.] and find the cheapest hosting package within your means.

If you decide to "purchase/register" a name I'll gladly host it for you.

25Mb of disk space and 3Gb data transfer (bandwidth)/month ... all for the low, low cost of a U2U

Lemme know.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
That's really nice of you 12. Wish I had an applaud button for mods.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Oh no I'd never try to have someone do that, thanks for the offer though! I am just curious about the whole thing, especially since I have this, essentially, spare computer and want to do something with it! I get the impression that, as time goes on, the ability to muck around with webpages and the like is going to become more and more critical, and I figure this might be a good way to get started mucking around! But if trying to use an XP machine for this would be a huge hassel, it'd probably discourage me from the start.

I read that MAC with OS 10 come with some sort of internal server built into it that you can access from a simple settings menu, too bad there isn't anything like that for XP.

I'm not thinking of creating a page or pages that other people'd necessarily see or get to by google or something, but it'd be helpful to be able to throw up a blog when trying to work on trips with friends or small projects, post messages, etc. I've mucked around with blogger, I have a 'myyahoo' page, I created a webpageas part of a university project, and I even have a (completely unused) free bulletin board, just seems like there should be some way to have it all in one managed location.

I am going to look into some of those sites you noted, 12, thanks!

[edit on 17-8-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   
If I were you, I'd run Linux on it rather than Windows if you want it to be a webserver. You need to make sure there are no blocks by your ISP to port 80 or use an unusual port, also get a domain name unless you don't mind just giving out an IP address (but if you have DHCP that may change from time to time, further complicating matters).

But it is doable, just take it one step at a time.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 02:01 AM
link   
If you just want some personal web site, you may want to check with your Internet service provider. If you have broadband, you may already have webspace you dont know about. Most broadband providers throw this into the package, and people are just not aware of it even though they are paying for it. (well, in the U.S. anyway).

If that is the case, you need to read their instructions, but the work will mostly be making your pictures and text, (use your prefered software for creating web pages) and using an ftp program to upload them. The drawback is this usually does not come with much space. But if your already paying for it, what the heck.

You can run it from your own pc, if you choose. I am sure that you are aware of most of the risks, bus since it is your second pc, I doubt you would have any private info on there anyway, right? One of the bummers is most broadband connections are not a static address, so your webpage doesnt get resolved properly when people try to access it because your IP has changed. There are free ways around this though.

Probably your best bet is to have 12 help you out. I doubt if you get a better deal, plus great tech support judging by the posts in the computer help forum on BTS.

But if you REALLY want to do if from your pc, heres a basic start.

XP home edition doesn't come with a web server, but you can get one from AnalogX It doesnt have all the bells and whistles but its free, easy and functional.

OR

If your running XP PRO you can install IIS

Make up your web site using your favorite software, add it to your c:\inetpub\wwwroot folder, or add it to IIS on your pc.

Register with a free DNS service that will act like a static address.
www.google.com...

Use that service to provide a static weblink.

Shhh. Dont tell anyone the basics are that easy!

Best of Luck.

[edit on 8/18/06 by makeitso]

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso
Shhh. Dont tell anyone the basics are that easy!

Yes, it is very easy, and to be safer you can install the IIS Lockdown Tool and the UrlScan Security Tool.

This two tools block all that is not necessary on your IIS installation.

You can also install the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer.

This program analyzes your computer(s) and show what updates it(they) need.

Do not forget to let traffic through port 80 in your firewall, or else no one can view it.

Just one more thing, Windows XP Professional is limited to only 10 simultaneous connections and can only have one website, i.e. only one external address like www.Nygdan.---.

I have some sites installed in a computer with Windows 2000 Server and I never had any problems, if properly configured IIS is a safe and fast way to have a personal web site.

join