It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Unknown forces' prevent cars starting in street

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   

nctr.cob.fsu.edu..." border=0>

Welcome to the Twilight Zone

Motorists leaving their vehicles on a 50-yard stretch of road have returned to find their cars won't start.
Residents of Percy Road, Gosport, say 'unknown forces' are constantly shutting down their car immobilisers and electric starters.

But despite putting forward various theories, including new telephone masts, remote broadband installations, and even MoD transmissions, they have been left scratching their heads at what is behind the problem.

Wayne Dobson, 38, first discovered the problem when he came home from work, parked up as usual and tried to use his remote immobiliser to lock his V-registered Land Rover Freelander, but got no response.
When he later tried to start the car, he found it was completely dead.

More...

This article is a few days old, so sorry if it's already been posted... (Couldn't find it though...)

Wild, huh?

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Yeah that is pretty strange, so, who you gonna call!?

Gho..

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   
That's pretty close to me and there will certainly be lots of MOD RF & microwave transimssions around the area from ships and shore installations.

My guess would be its a slightly freaky area where the radio signal from plip keys are getting swamped by a stronger transmission, maybe MOD or perhaps something more inncoent.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by timeless test
My guess would be its a slightly freaky area where the radio signal from plip keys are getting swamped by a stronger transmission, maybe MOD or perhaps something more inncoent.

That doesn't explain why the cars wouldnt start...

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by QuietSoul
That doesn't explain why the cars wouldnt start...

It does if the remote key has not disabled the immobiliser.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 09:29 AM
link   
It certainly does not explain why the cars wont start. Especially along a small stretch of road.

Who knows. Energy vortex? Some sort of strange field? perhaps they might send people to investigate it.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
IF something is messing with the immobilizer then yes it definitely does, if there is a localized hotspot of electrical/radio emissions in that particle place then it could be tampering with the immobiliser causing it to either shutdown or temporally or to get damaged permanently.

I would be interested to see if this is only specific to cars, I would go put other electrical devices in that area for long periods of time to see if they are effected.

The microcircuit inside the key is activated by a small electromagnetic field which induces current to flow inside the key body, which in turn broadcasts a unique binary code which is read by the automobiles ECU. When the ECU determines that the coded key is both current and valid, the ECU activates the fuel-injection sequence. In some vehicles, attempts to use an unauthorized or "non-sequenced" key cause the vehicle to activate a timed no-start condition and in some extreme cases, even use satellite data-link to alert security firms that an unauthorized attempt was made to code a key.

Link

[edit on 17-8-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 06:31 AM
link   
having worked as an auto and marine electrician for over 10 years i will offer up a reasonable explanation for you.

an immobiliser works by breaking one or several circuits needed for a car to run.

predominatley

Starter solenoid circuit,
fuel pump circuit,
Diesel shut of valve (electrically operated solenoid)

an immobiliser unit normally comes into play 30 seconds after its control unit loses its ignition feed

i.e. after you turn off the ignition.

once this happens the unit breaks several circuits (through relays) preventing the vehicle from starting.

To re engage these 'relays' and thuis re making the circuits needed to run the vehicle a signal is sent from either a fob (pressing the button) or simply a sensor in the vehicle sensing a return via the fob on the owners keyring.

It is well known for these fobs to loose their coding ater being left near microwave ovens or strong electrical appliances.

Theres no 'Voodoo' when it comes to a cars electrical systems and any auto electrician worth his salt will be able to deduce the problem within minutes.

I would presume that there is a strong electrical current of some description in this area and that is whats causing these vehicles immobilisers to cut out.

top topics

join