It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what would people think if UK bring back death sentence for terrorists only?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 06:08 AM
link   
what would people think if UK bring back death sentence for terrorists only?

if you think about it, it might stop the english muslim born people becomming terrorists maybe. It sure would save alot money from prisons and it would deff be 1 less terrorist around.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Or perhaps stop backing the USA in it's foreign policy efforts?
Start looking after our own country and worrying less about trying to bring "freedom & Democracy" to far flung places that don't necessarily want it.
Afghanistan, in fact that whole region, has always been populated by nomadic tribes and ruled by regional warlords / leaders and have had borders imposed on them by western nations. They don't want us there and it is costing us a bloody fortune and lost lives by being there. Crikey!, it bankrupted the Soviets when they tried to occupy and pacify the locals in that part of the world.
Installing and propping up puppet leaders to gain a foothold for big business in these places will always suffer blowback at some point, but those making the big money are rarely the targets of vengeance.

If we don't go around trying to impose our views then there'd be no reason for them to come here and fight us on our own turf. Maybe a simplistic viewpoint but a logical one.
Quit all the PC crap and just stop taking in anyone from these locations who become a drain on the economy, which as a hard working tax payer really makes my blood boil.

The death sentence is a dangerous road to follow and is not the answer to a problem created by politicians and businessmen. I'm not talking isolationism, just common sense in looking after our own back yard first before getting involved in someone elses problems.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Not sure how long this one's going to last before it goes to PTS but never mind.

Restoration of the death penalty just isn't going to happen, there is no appetite for it in parliament and hasn't been for many years, more importantly, the European Convention on Human Rights effectively means that it is impossible to reintroduce in any signatory country.

If you did want to try it just for terrorism the first problem you are going to face is finding an acceptable definition of terrorism which has exercised a good few brains on here amongst other places over time . This also makes the idea dead in the water before you've even got to the moral or, (largely unsubstantiated), cost saving arguments.

A complete non-starter.

[edit on 17-8-2006 by timeless test]

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 06:53 AM
link   
yeah I say bring it back. We have the capability to make prosecutions air tight now. DNA and such like advances, but not just for terrorists, use it on all harmful scum, especially those murder offences involving children.

Its not such a detterent though is it? just look at all those on death row in the USA.... sure seems a possible death penalty never made them think twice!!

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Considering the history of mistakes made by legal system, the possibility of sentencing an innocent is relatively big.

Also, it would be needed to change the definition of terrorist to apply the death sentence to other cases.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
Considering the history of mistakes made by legal system, the possibility of sentencing an innocent is relatively big.

And this is the bottom line. As soon as that first innocent is killed the whole idea goes up in flames.

Life incarceration is a far greater punishment (and deterrent, if such a thing exists - and i think not)

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I forgot one thing.

What kind of menace is capital punishment to a suicide bomber?

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I think it would fulfil their dreams of martyrdom. Think about from the terrorist’s perspective: You were on the verge of blowing yourself up, dying for your brothers, and on a trip to heaven where all your wildest dreams could be fulfilled, you would have 70 virgin hors, Champaign, and a martyrdom medal awarded by non other than Allah almighty.
But just before you were about to blow yourself up a policeman steeped up and put handcuffs around your back.
You now have to sleep in a concrete cell in one of Britain’s overcrowded prisons. The heating’s never beyond half blast, your cell mate hates you, and the food’s so standard that a holy warrior wouldn’t even feed it to his dog-wife.
You look for somewhere to end your life-so that you may come back to earth to fight again. However every time you get to the stairs you find someone’s put suicide netting by it. Just yesterday you had your arse exploded in the shower room; and because you can’t read English, and because everyone hates you, you can’t even make a formal complaint.
This is your reward for being a failed Marta. I think it’s suitable don’t you?

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 08:29 AM
link   
any push for the death penalty is a push for a regression of society. The only reason to kill someone for a crime is retribution. No person is so dangerous that they cannot be imprisoned. No person can reform by dying. No person can be forgiven for committing a crime if they are unable to perform further actions due to death. It costs more to kill someone than imprison them for life due to the huge number of apeals needed to asatain that they are infact guilty. Also killing someone is permanent, many people have been imprisoned and killed and later found to be inocent, imprisonment for an incoent person is bad enough but killing them?

so if you want to regress then go ahead and push for a reintroduction of the death penalty.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by kipman725
any push for the death penalty is a push for a regression of society. The only reason to kill someone for a crime is retribution. No person is so dangerous that they cannot be imprisoned. No person can reform by dying. No person can be forgiven for committing a crime if they are unable to perform further actions due to death. It costs more to kill someone than imprison them for life due to the huge number of apeals needed to asatain that they are infact guilty. Also killing someone is permanent, many people have been imprisoned and killed and later found to be inocent, imprisonment for an incoent person is bad enough but killing them?

so if you want to regress then go ahead and push for a reintroduction of the death penalty.

And what about all the prisoners let out early that go and commit the same crimes id be all for prison sentences that meant LIFE 100 years no parole at all, but today LIFE seems to mean 5-10 years and you get let out :S

How many do we need to be let out an recommit same crimes before we change the law its drastically wrong at the moment the judges seem soft example you kill someone with knife you get probably 6 years, but if you kill someone by car you get alot less, but other minor non lethal crimes seem to get higher longer prison sentence than murderers and rapists get :S

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Combine that with the Patriot act and we have the perfect recipe for assasination. Label em a terrorist!

[edit on 17-8-2006 by xEphon]

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I thought the penalty for terrorism in the UK was to be let out of prison - that's what we've done to most of those imprisoned for life for murdering innocent civilians etc.

I believe that membership of the House of Commons is an additional punishment in some cases .....

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
they should be locked up for life meaning "till there dead" the death penalty would make martyrs of them, not sure how that would work though as the government is taking 500,000 days off prisoners sentences because its getting overcrowded, am i the only person who thinks this idea is ludicrous lol?

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I am personally against the death penalty. The British have known in the past that many innocent people were hanged, thenlater on were to found to be innocent.

Mistakes have also made in the past with the Legal system in the UK over co called terroism suspects, I.E. So called IRA Suspects, say we still had the death penalty then? They would have been hanged while they were innocent.

But the Judicial system in the UK has flaws, When someone is given life in prison it should mean Life, not say only serve 10 years then get out on good behaviour.

The Judicial system needs to be looked at first.

And I do not think the majority of the populationi n the UK would give consent to the Death Penalty to be re-introduced in the UK. But thats my opnion

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Shopping trips for store knifeman

A psychiatric patient who slashed the throats of 15 women at a Birmingham department store has been released into the community to go shopping.
David Morgan, 43, was given 10 life sentences after his rampage through the Rackhams store in 1994.

But he has recently been allowed into Stafford town centre for several hours unsupervised. His carers have said the trips are part of his rehabilitation.

Just WTF that, is this ****ing mad or what, how does this happen, i think some of the people letting these people out need locking up themselves or their brains looked at. It should be up to the PUBLIC to choose if this **** gets let out in my opinion and others too.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Should be brought back in my opinion as a deterrent is sorely needed.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   
it would be a good idea if the UK let them rot in jail for 10yrs to prove their innocents. then give them the old fashion public hanging

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   
To anyone willing to die for their beliefs--not just terrorists--capital punishment or the death sentence would be no deterent. If they are killed for following their beliefs don't they become martyrs and an example for others to follow?

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   
The death sentence has been proved time and again to be worthless as a detterant. Bringing it back for people willing to kill themselves for their cause is beyond pointless.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Why would it be pointless? to sentence someone to death when they are willing to blow up a train full of people, etc. It would actually save lives.. releasing them back is just giving them a second chance to try again

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join