It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Port Evacuated Because Of Possible Bomb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Bomb sniffing dogs alerted the authorities to a suspicious container at the port of Seattle. People were evacuated from the terminal on Harbor Island. The container was supposed to contain oily rags but authorities found items that did not match that description. The container came from Pakistan but after being searched no explosives were found. A gamma ray device was also used to pear through the container. The ship also made stops in Hong Kong, China, and South Korea.

www.ctv.ca
The Port of Seattle set up a perimeter of nearly a kilometre around one of its terminals Wednesday after bomb-sniffing dogs indicated two containers from Pakistan could contain explosives but none was found.

Dozens of non-essential personnel were evacuated from Terminal 18, on Harbor Island south of downtown Seattle, a Port of Seattle spokesman said. A bomb squad used explosive charges to cut into the containers and search the contents.

It wasn't immediately clear what prompted the dogs to alert on the containers but the bomb squad found no explosives or radioactive materials inside, said port spokesman David Schaefer.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

My first thought was that this might be a real situation, then read that no explosives were found. That is of coarse a good thing, but then one must wonder if the authorities were being over zealous or not. I don't really think so, they were doing there job and I am glad they were. Although I was a bit suprised to read that they decided to blow the container apart. That kind of made me think the bomb squad just wanted to use the opportunity to blow something up.

Related News Links:

today.reuters.com
news.monstersandcritics.com

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 05:44 AM
link   
There are still reports comeing out about what happened, hear is another one,

seattletimes.nwsource.com...

Agents with U.S. Customs on Wednesday evening were closely examining the containers, which were filled with textiles such as clothing, bedding and discards intended for rags, said U.S. Customs and Border Protection spokesman Mike Milne.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   
So what if then people were storing themselves in the containers that held clothing, bedding and such and then took the explosive material with them once they made it safely to port?

That's not a comforting thought and one that has been speculated that terrorists would make it to the US via our ports that way

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
So, is the market for oily rags that great in America that we are now importing them from pakistan (who must have a good oily rag industry?

gee... A new business for the up and coming entreprenuer...

first we collect oily rags
then profit...

what is the second step?

who cares?

oily rags
then
profit...

easy
WHAT THE HELL IS COMING IN OUR PORTS?
and yeah... what the hell WAS in that container?

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Rags and the cleaning of same is a fairly big business here in the US.

The maintenance people at the power company station where I worked brought them in by the small truck load.
Fairly big cardboard boxes as well.

There are some excellent paper products that emulate soft clean rags, but they're considerably more expensive as well as being smaller.

I have to agree as well, rags from Pakistan?

Seems like the US should be able to supply the rag industry quite well.

I do note that polyester weaves and the like don't work as well as 100% cotton rags so if oily rags are coming in from Pakistan and similar countries, it may be because we don't have enough cotton rags to fill the demand.

I'm guessing that these other countries use 100% cotton for most of their clothing.

And to strike off on a small tangent, did you ever own a genuine Egyptian cotton shirt?
Classy stuff.
The Egyptian T- shirt I own is thick, soft and smooth.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
So, is the market for oily rags that great in America that we are now importing them from pakistan (who must have a good oily rag industry?

gee... A new business for the up and coming entreprenuer...

first we collect oily rags
then profit...

what is the second step?

who cares?

oily rags
then
profit...

Add mass 'untraceable Cell Phones' into the mix, then you've got a lucrative business.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grailkeeper
Add mass 'untraceable Cell Phones' into the mix, then you've got a lucrative business.

Nicely put Grailkeeper

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   
And still, no word on what was in those containers? Maybe the local news might have it.

I agree, importing oily rags from Pakistan seems a bit weird really. As if America is not self sufficient in oily rag production, especially given all the cars and backyard mechanics we have.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Now its oily rags???

who owns the port of Seattle?

top topics

join