It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone answer this ??

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I'm was a roman catholic for the first 20 yrs of my life. So i'm aware that many people especially christians await the return of Christ. I don't want to hear about the " end of days", or nuclear war, etc..... How about the everyday misery and suffering in the world. The millions of depressed people, hungry, alone, etc. Wouldn't now be a good time for God to show up and help his people........

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Wouldn't now be a good time for God to show up and help his people........

What about during the black plauge, WWl, WWll, etc. There have been lots of times of misery in our history, so what would make today special?

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Why not now? i'm just making a statement, i'm not saying we've suffered more than others, but when is enough

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Every age has had suffering, but God has his own time for when he has appointed to the end and then a new beginning. The signs are all around you, so don't shy away from noting the wars and bad things that happen, for there is much more signs than this to be observed if God shows you.

If there is any sign, pay attention to Israel, even though they are at war, because it is a sign to any believer that their regathering and independence in 1948 means something, otherwise why would God bring them back? This is a start for you, but there is much more to it. I plead with you to seek the Kingdom of Heaven in light of world events at the same time look at the world, and God willing, you will see that what happens within the world is just a matter of time before a new beginning.

You talk as a woman bearing labor pains, and rightly so, for that is what was predicted.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso

Wouldn't now be a good time for God to show up and help his people........

What about during the black plauge, WWl, WWll, etc. There have been lots of times of misery in our history, so what would make today special?

If thats the case then what makes moses, abraham etc so special that god helps them? Why should god appear and do all sorts of stuff thousands of years ago and not bother his arse now?
I'LL TELL YOU WHY BECAUSE ITS ALL CRAP! It ranks just as highly as the wheel or sliced bread in the inventions scale.

G

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by tommy1979
I'm was a roman catholic for the first 20 yrs of my life. So i'm aware that many people especially christians await the return of Christ. I don't want to hear about the " end of days", or nuclear war, etc..... How about the everyday misery and suffering in the world. The millions of depressed people, hungry, alone, etc. Wouldn't now be a good time for God to show up and help his people........

I don't want to burst your bubble here, but what good did he do for humanity the last time he was here? Sure he healed a few people and told other people things like "Little people, why can't we all just get along?". But he didn't really change the world did he? The christians were still prosecuted, evil still flourished, etc. etc. So if he does show up I think it will be to say something like "Err... God is still working on that final solution to end all suffering, but in the meantime I'm here to heal some blind and lame and hopefully make you believe in God just a little bit longer." Wasn't the message back then - as it is now - that we have to save ourselves?

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Hey tommy1979

As I see the problem, is not God whoe is missing.

God gave us the material, the resurses, the posibillity.

Now it is up to the human race.

Fab1

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
this isn't an old greek play

we don't need deus ex machina, we need hard work and compassion
the world needs to get its act together, and people need to start caring about each other

what gives me hope that this is what will happen is bill gates

the richest man on the planet, and he's not being greedy, he's making himself less rich

the world needs to follow his lead and help out the least fortunate people in the world

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 12:29 AM
link   

We live in this mess because of the choices of mankind. What if people actually did what God instructed? What kind of world would that be?

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   
There is no doubt that the presence of evil and suffering in the world is a problem for those Christians who believe in God's omnipotence, omniscience and benevolence. The philosopher David Hume's sums the problem up when he says: 'If God is able to something about evil and suffering yet chooses not to then God is malevolent. If God cannot do anything about evil and suffering then God is impotent.'

However many religious people argue that God does not intervene to prevent evil and suffering because he/she will not inerfere with humanities free will. We have to do something/or not, about evil and suffering as part of our free will and spiritual growth.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Why not now? i'm just making a statement, i'm not saying we've suffered more than others, but when is enough

Perhaps when people quit calling on a war God and remember the Goddess.

balance.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 04:03 AM
link   
If there is a "God" - Maybe "God" doesn't exist in the form which we tend to think he does.

Basically you're saying 'How can there be a God with so much suffering in the world?'..... Well maybe one has to ponder on their terms of definition for what God is, and wonder where those terms of reference came from.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Satan. Be mad at him.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Why should he help us?

Jsut as much as we wonder why God isn't stepping out of the clouds doing miracles, I wonder at humanity's sincere belief that we deserve help.

Enh, diffrent topic.

All the scriptural comfort in the world I would give you is to tell you to read the book of Job.

Second: think about our reaction every time someone posts things that are unbelieveable here...how much can miracleing everything change us? Most of us refuse to get the points anyone with an opposing view makes, and a God of Biblical proportions is too much for even the believers to fully understand. God could walk up to many Athiests showing him who he is, and many of them would try to put the old man in the insane asylumn.

Third: Does God really want to end suffering?
Take the Boiling pot anlogy used by every friggen devo leader out there: Boil a carrot, the carrot becomes too soft to be useful. Boil an egg, it becomes hard and brittle Boil a coffee bean and you cange the water by giving up a portion of the bean's beaniness. Are Christians supposed to be carrots, eggs, or Coffee Beans?

Fourth: What is the point of all of us having fallen to never feel evil?

Fifth: Some creationists use this suffering as a point for Creationism, go look them up. I get tired of properly pointing out evidence. Find: Why those in Africa starve.

Sixth: If you knew te answer to this, you'd likely be God, and not need to question. Questioning is human, keep it up.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 04:36 AM
link   
The Supreme Being is a disciplinarian. He doesn't spare people from suffering so that they can learn, through experience, the consequences of ignoring His instructions. Humanity has brought upon itself the miserable condition that the world is in.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Skyway you say: The Supreme Being is a disciplinarian. He doesn't spare people from suffering so that they can learn, through experience, the consequences of ignoring His instructions. Humanity has brought upon itself the miserable condition that the world is in.

So that must mean that you believe that the Supreme Being has not allowed us to have free will? This confuses me, how can God grant us free will then discipline us when we do not make the 'right' choices? I believe that this is how a human organised religion works - but not the Supreme Being. She/He is beyond and greater than the need to punish/discipline us.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   

If you observe and experience everything with a mind that accepts God is not here, then when God acts or shows up, is your mind capable of percieving it consciously?

How can you witness something your neuro-net of brain cells says can not be?

I say if God shows you a sign, and you don't even acknowledge the possibility, then you surely can not witness what just happened, right in front of you.

Then again, there are many variables to answer the above question in a variety of ways, and all of them being true.

Edited to add:

We simply do not have the accumilated knowledge or wisdom to understand. You can either accept this, or cast judgment upon God.

But, if you cast judgment upon God, how can i seriously accept that you believe in God? Or more to the point, that you ever truly have.

I hope i do not sound condiscending (sp?). I'm not be-litting you in the slightest. If the questions arize while you are on any path, ask them. People who wish to truly help will supply you with the best answers they can.

We have things to learn, lessons that the human race must endure and experience. Souls have yet to exist. And time may not be what you think it is. The amount of variables that exist are still being discovered that explains reality by mankind.

Your question is legitamate (sp?).

[edit on 17-8-2006 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Winefried
So that must mean that you believe that the Supreme Being has not allowed us to have free will? This confuses me, how can God grant us free will then discipline us when we do not make the 'right' choices? I believe that this is how a human organised religion works - but not the Supreme Being. She/He is beyond and greater than the need to punish/discipline us.

Perhaps I can best explain my view with an example.

Let us say that a child is instructed by its parents not to play with fire. The child does not heed the parent's warning/instruction and starts setting things ablaze. He ends up burning himself and suffers pain from the burn. God, our Divine Parent, does not spare us from the pain of that burn so that we will realize, through the experience, that there is a price to pay for ignoring His instruction. It is a perfect form of discipline to allow people to experience the consequences of their wronngful actions. This was my reply to the original poster's question as to why God allows people to suffer.

This discipline allows freewill but at the same time "enlightens" those with freewill on how to excercise that freewill wisely.
If a person ignores Divine Guidance, then he will bring suffering upon himself, and God will allow the suffering to befall that person so that he may learn the better way to live is to heed the instruction of our Divine Parent.

[edit on 18-8-2006 by SkyWay]

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Well said, SkyWay!!!!

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkyWay
Perhaps I can best explain my view with an example.

Let us say that a child is instructed by its parents not to play with fire. The child does not heed the parent's warning/instruction and starts setting things ablaze. He ends up burning himself and suffers pain from the burn. God, our Divine Parent, does not spare us from the pain of that burn so that we will realize.....
.....If a person ignores Divine Guidance, then he will bring suffering upon himself, and God will allow the suffering to befall that person so that he may learn the better way to live is to heed the instruction of our Divine Parent.

SO where is god the parent? At least my parents are here and have taught me things. God hasn't been to see me or tell me anything, and why should I believe the people who preach about god when NONE of them have spoke to or seen god. We are just supposed to take you at your word?
Why is it that when god speaks to someone, he/she/it can only speak to ONE person at a time and that person has to tell everyone else what god said? Why not tell the whole world at the same time and stop all this pissing about?

G

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join