It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Need This!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
We have a forum for everything else... we need one for help with cars/trucks.

mod edit: all caps in title

[edit on 12-8-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
There are a lot of those forums everywhere else. Dodgeforums for example, helped me greatly recently with our Dakota.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
There are a lot of those forums everywhere else. Dodgeforums for example, helped me greatly recently with our Dakota.

Well, there are even more forum out there for computer help...

But it's better here than in other places. People get to the point in a serious help thread. There is not silly stuff and people check out the resources... I can have more confidence in something I see here than in other places.

But your right. Not that I like it of course. lol

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
~~

i've always found that....down at the local auto parts store,
they have Chiltons or ?Clintons auto/truck Manuels

& the info in those cover just about every make & model of vehicle
that operate in the States. imo, those Manuels are a must have
item for every vehicle you own or drive.

i reckon its because i have trouble visualizing things, so a web forum
explainations on how to fix - what needs done - is not much help to me.

those complete fix-it/replace-it/rebuild-it steps those manuels provide,
(along with the pics) gives me a more complete grasp of the situation &
how i can best proceed, needed parts & time & $

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Oh yeah - got the books.

But there are things..... let me give you an example.

The cars with the chips in them (all newer ones).
They insist that you go hook it up to the diagnostic machine to see what the problem is. There is a bil ChaChing! for them - and your out big bucks just to see if they can find the problem.

The diagnostic machine just gives them codes - they look up the codes that tell them what's going on with the car.

You can get the same codes and look them up yourself without the big bill for the hook up. Right in your own driveway (where the car happens to be. Incease you don't want to have it towed (another big $$) to the diagnostic place and towed back (again, more $$ out the door)

But those books don't tell you how to do this - fortunatly I already know... but the point is, there are people that know things that will make life easier for they guys working on the cars/trucks and the books don't tell you, and the mechanics - they don't want you to know...

Know what I mean.

Same with computers. Easy things you can do yourself - but they'd rather you pay to have it fixed, pay for another program or even better yet, buy a new computer.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
There's always Chit Chat.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
This idea has been floated many times and I for one think that there should be an automobile forum on BTS. In fact, there was a time when the idea seemed to have some traction.

The thing about cars is that just about everyone has one and as they say, "If it has tires or ____, it's trouble."

Yeah, Chit Chat is a catch all forum, but really car talk is hardly chit chat for most. And yes, there are car forums all over the internet, but folks who come to ATS like to discuss things with the clientèle here or they wouldn't come here at all.

A dedicated forum would give gear heads a place to hang out and share their knowledge with the ATS universe and a place for the less well informed to find out why it's so important to change that oil or how to find the dipstick.

[edit on 2006/8/12 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
can i have a list of those ATS council members (do we still have them)???

i can u2u them about the above mentioned forum...

my poll has been around for about a year and, still, there has been no new forums (that were mentioned in that thread) created...

sorry to get a bit off track, but it might help...

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I'm not sure about the councilors' status, but there is a DISC thread on this forum:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I'm not sure about the councilors' status, but there is a DISC thread on this forum:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

yupp...

i already mentioned my poll thread in that thread

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Well, maybe if we mention it from time to time they'll put one up there.

I mean, if the have one dedicated to computers... (of course, we all have to have our computers running to log in though don't we).

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Some body tell me what it's REALLY WORTH and we may consider an "Automotive Forum" on BTS...

But it's gotta be worth ALOT!

Springer...

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
Some body tell me what it's REALLY WORTH and we may consider an "Automotive Forum" on BTS...

does the same go for other forum ideas that a multitude of ATSers support

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   
If there is a reasonable point value placed on the establishment of an automotive forum, as was done with a recent change to the board, and there is an actual multitude of supporters then the price per supporter might be worthwhile.

I'm kind of a point miser and I would hate to pay points for nothing, like I did with RATS access and a few other things.

[edit on 2006/8/12 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Springer...

Umm... what if I donate a pic for the garage wall?

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   
About the points. I spent BOOKOO points for nothing. Absolutely ruined my pic/avator etc, and ended ups spending even more points to make it

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Just how much did you pay for that headache generator, anyway?

:bnghd:

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Springer...

half a million points

Speaker...

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   
How about 275, 000?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join