It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prime Minister Olmert Of Israel Accepts Cease-Fire Deal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Prime minister Ehud Olmert has accepted a cease-fire deal and informed the United states of his decision. He will be recommending the government to approve it, but will continue operations for the time being.

news.yahoo.com
JERUSALEM - Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert has accepted an emerging Mideast cease-fire deal and informed the United States of his decision, Israeli officials said Friday.

Olmert will recommend that his government approve the deal in its meeting on Sunday, said Gideon Meir, a senior official in the Israeli Foreign Ministry.

Meir said the military offensive in Lebanon would continue for the time being. It was not immediately clear if it would be halted after the U.N. Security Council vote on the cease-fire deal later Friday, or only after the Israeli Cabinet has endorsed it.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It is good to see this man wished to see the bloodshed end. His cabinet must of course approve of the deal and hopefully will do so with haste.

I hope now the Global Community can work on a plan for rebuilding Lebanon, although nothing will ever be able to heal the wounds of those who have been affected on both sides.

Related News Links:
www.haaretz.com

[edit on 11/8/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
What if the US decides not to accept the deal?

No, seriously.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   
The deal is already endorsed by the US as its a compromise draft authoured by US and France.

Olmert wants the bloodshed to stop alright, but only the Israeli bloodshed. The man who ordered Beirut to be completely cut off from aid and essential services such as power, food and water is no humanitarian.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Well either way, the bloodshed in Lebanon will most likely end by the Israelis once this cease-fire is in effect. Now we should focus our efforts on rebuilding. I think Halibruton deserves all the contracts dont ya think

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes

It is good to see this man wished to see the bloodshed end. His cabinet must of course approve of the deal and hopefully will do so with haste.

Yes, he wants it to end so much that he's expanded the offensive and the Israeli cabinet isn't going to discuss the proposal before Sunday

Fresh Israel raids after UN vote

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Today Israel has tripled the amount of Israeli troops and tanks in Southern Lebanon. Israel has stated that it will continue airstrikes inspite of any cease-fire agreement. So much for a cease-fire...

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Hey, it takes time for the paperwork to be done, and all the orders to go across the board. The official line is the war will be halted at 7:00 AM Monday. I think we should give them for an applause, at least they set a timetable.

[edit on 8/12/2006 by DYepes]

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Hey, it takes time for the paperwork to be done, and all the orders to go across the board. [edit on 8/12/2006 by DYepes]

Thats true, in this world it does..which is why it becomes more startling to have that cognizance...that paperwork is more important than human lives.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I am not going to justify the continued fighting while the beuracracy is handled, but I think we need to at least understand how the process of modern warfare works. Israel can not just stop firing and start running back to he border. they would no doubeetdly lose alot of people that way, and would make the new force quite a bit more difficult to enter and help stabalise things.

Documents between the Israeli, Lebanese and UN leaders have to be signed. Plans have to be made for exactly where the peacekeepers will be deployed, and the timing to replace the IDF with them in order to maintain security and prevent the build-up of hostile forces who do not wish to end fighting.

If these things are not planned porperly, you could risk alot more lives than are necessary.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Yeah, I would think the question of the day would be...if you've agreed to stop fighting Monday at 7 a.m., why not stop fighting right now? What do they have a particular battle plan they just can't bear to not follow through with?

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
When I see Israel withdraw, Hizbollah disarmed and the arms embargo enforced, I will be more apt to believe UN resolution 1701 has actually been implimented and enforced. Till then, it still looks like a game of cat and mouse to me.

Israel to Halt War in Lebanon on Monday Forbes
Hezbollah's leader, Sheik Hassan Nasrallah, meanwhile, said his militia would abide by the cease-fire blueprint but warned the guerrillas would keep battling Israeli troops while they remained in Lebanon, calling that "our natural right."

Raw Data: Text of U.N. Draft Resolution
OP1. Calls for a full cessation of hostilities based upon, in particular, the immediate cessation by Hezbollah of all attacks and the immediate cessation by Israel of all offensive military operations;

Note the difference between Nasrallah's words and the resolution's wording.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
When I see Israel withdraw, Hizbollah disarmed and the arms embargo enforced, I will be more apt to believe UN resolution 1701 has actually been implimented and enforced. Till then, it still looks like a game of cat and mouse to me.

Note the difference between Nasrallah's words and the resolution's wording.

Honestly, yes, I agree with that..it seems to me the resolution is designed more
as a mechanism to buy time for Israel to REMAIN in Lebanon than anything else, while the world view is that a cease-fire is underway.

If *I* were going to predict anything at ALL, with respect to the outcome of a cease-fire, it might be that during the course of the 'pullout' and emplacement of a UN peacekeeping force, Hezbollah will magicly have resumed some form of hostility ensuring that Israel will have no choice but to remain there.

I don't side with IDF or Hezbollah..it's the people, the people who have no voice or choice in the matter but to sit back and take the death and destruction while their warmongering respective governments sit back and laugh at them and laugh at US.

The reality of it is, who REALLY wants peace? The Governments? Do they? Is it monetarily feasible for there to even be peace? Or is it just us, with no choice in the matter, those who see their families destroyed in seconds because some politically motivated red-tape cant seem to find its right wording?

If these things are not planned porperly, you could risk alot more lives than are necessary.

Actually, maybe a paradigm shift is EXACTLY what these people need..a reason to look at a situation and say "wait thats not right, they ARE pulling out, just running for the border...maybe we should stop now too!"
After all, historically, DYepes, your description of modern day warfare is accurate, but apparently it's ineffective, or there would already be peace, wouldnt you say?

AB1

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by alphabetaone
If *I* were going to predict anything at ALL, with respect to the outcome of a cease-fire, it might be that during the course of the 'pullout' and emplacement of a UN peacekeeping force, Hezbollah will magicly have resumed some form of hostility ensuring that Israel will have no choice but to remain there.

Many presume that the only reason Israel invaded Lebanon was in response to two IDF soldiers taken prisoners and to reduce Hizbollah's forces.

Of what I have read, the primary motivations for this endeavor was a broader effort towards regime change in Syria and Iran, to the secure water resources of the Litani and for the continuation of the BTC pipeline into Israel as agreed by the new Israeli/Turkish alliance. Removal of Hizbollah is just one small part of the expansionist agenda, and since the UN resolution doesn't exactly fit into these grand plans, 1701 is destined to the scrap pile of worthless verbatim.

I don't think it will take much to escalate the fighting again either.

top topics

join