It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mi5 mi6??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   
are they the same thing .. anyways what do you need to qualify in like when you go to university and stuff???

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Don't think this is in the right forum

Bascally MI 5 is internal to the UK, MI 6 is external although they report to different departments within the govt etc etc.

Try this handy search / info thing I found on the web for more info:

www.google.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   
well in the past in was exlusively university graduates from oxbridge. But now its more open. None the less, you will need a university education to do anything important or taxing.

I'm not sure the course really matters, but good personal refrences would help too, and I'm guessing understanding of geo-politics, history and perhaps the most important in this day and age would be a high standard of foreign language fluency.

Bear in mind there is more to in than spying, theres communications etc

[edit on 10-8-2006 by Peyres]

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Don't quote me on this but I think MI5 would be the equivilent of the FBI here in the states.MI6 the CIA.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Hmm sort of. Although the US also has the NSA etc, but that could be compared to GCHQ in the UK.

MI5 are tasked to the protection of the UK's internal intrests. This includes reasearch and colloboration with external organisations (MI6, CIA) if there is a threat upon the british people, this also includes domestic terror groups (neo-nazis etc) and serious organised crime. Their recruitment is more open and they have large public prescence

MI6 would be considered more shadowy and clandestine, having agents in other countries, taking part and aiding coups etc, protecting British intrests abroad, and this may well include questionable intrests. Is oil in the caspian sea for example, really 'our' intrests. But of course also morally valid operations in investigating terror cells abroad that may be planning attacks on british intrests at home or abroad (falklands etc). Recruitment seems to be more close and selective.

I undestand that the FBI operates much more internally within the US, hence the 'federal' part of it. Whilst the CIA has been involved in the geo-political process.

[edit on 10-8-2006 by Peyres]

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Hi,
I'm a first-time poster here and thought I'd contribute to this forum. MI5 & MI6 are the last two remaining departments of the Ministry of Intelligence. The names are actually a bit outdated but still used by most of the media. In government circles, 5 is the security service and 6 is the secret intelligence service, with 5 reporting to the Home Office and 6 reporting to the FCO.

In terms of requirements for employment, a degree is essential. However, going down the application route is far less successful than being recruited whilst actually at university by one of the dedicated "spotters". While overtly applications from all backgrounds are welcomed, this process of "spotting" ensures that most of the recruitment is still drawn from the top universities in the UK, so aim high! Your choice of subject is also quite important with the more traditional academic subjects having more credance; politics, economics, law, international relations etc. It would also be extremely beneficial to pick up a language as part of your course. The obvious choice these days would be arabic, obv!

There is also an extensive personal security vetting procedure which must be carried out, for obvious reasons which can extend the recruitment process to in excess of a year. It's important to have a pretty spotless personal character record and expect things to be investigated which you were unaware of even yourself!

I hope this helps and good luck with your future plans!
GS

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I actually wrote a letter to MI6 several years ago (when I was only about 12 or 13) asking what is needed to apply for the organisation, I'll re-write the main body of the letter (bear in mind that this is several years old, so things may have changed a little now. Also excuse typos ;p):

At present, candidates for the Secret Intelligence Service (SIS, also sometimes known as MI6) should not be less than 21 years old on entry and of British nationality. Also, at least one parent of any candidate should have British nationality, or substantial ties to the UK. Candidates for employment as Intelligence Officers would normally be expected to have gained a university degree. Students during their final year at a British university may enter the Open Competition for appointments with the Civil Service. If they do well in the Open Competition, they may write to this office at the above address to request consideration as a candidate for SIS. Those seeking employment in a support category (administrative, technical, IT, communications, clerical, maintenance etc.) should have full qualifications commensurate with the positions sought (eg university degree, appropriate diplomas, GCSE's, vocational qualifications etc, and may also send their full personal details and CVs to this office. Support staff may be called upon to fulfill a variety of operational roles. Candidates should be prepared to accept overseas postings.

All candidates for SIS undergo a rigorous recruitment, assessment and training process, as well as in-depth "development vetting" (DV), formerly known as "positive vetting" (PV) which is regularly reviewed throughout their career/period of employment. They must also complete satisfactorily a probationary period before being accepted as established members of SIS.

As you will see, Nicholas, I have not tried to suggest what subjects, languages or qualifications to go for at college or university. Much will depend upon your own strengths and weaknesses. Try to gain as many qualifications as possible. This is important for whatever career you may choose in the end. It is also important to demonstrate that you have the maturity, intelligence, ability, self-discipline and applications to master the most challenging subjects. If, when you have completed the best possible education available to you, you are still interested in a career in intelligence and security work, the best people to consult will be the career development advisers at the college or university at which you are studying at the time, or you may write again to this office.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Try these links to the get the most up to date info. These are the official websites, which include info on how to join, as well as other useful information.

MI5

MI6

Most intelligence agencies around the world have homepages these days. The old way of recruiting (a tap on the shoulder, usually at university or in the military) is long gone. Hope these links help.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Willard,
As I was trying to say in my first post - the "old ways" are not long gone. They need to be seen to offer equal opportunities for direct applications and the like, but in reality the majority of the intake come from the "old ways". Often the security vetting begins before the approach to a potential candidate is made.
The military and the elite universities have historically been and will remain the safest pools from which to recruit potential officers.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Ok, if that is the case for the UK, I should have qualified my statement by saying that my context is Australia, where it is recognised that the traditional methods of recruiting aren't working anymore. I also based my comments on press reporting from the UK, and conversations I've had with security personnel in London. If my comment is erroneous, I withdraw it. The links are still useful though.

new topics

top topics

join