It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin Orders Withdrawal From Chechnya

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 07:19 AM
link   
President Vladimir Putin issued orders for the gradual troop withdrawal from Chechnya. The Interior and Defense Ministries have been tasked with the redeployment of the troops currently stationed in Chechnya. The plan for the redeployment is tasked to be ready by December 15. Despite claims by the Kremlin that after a decade of separatist violence in the southern reign that things have returned to normal, there are still small scale attacks. The redeployment will happen in 2007 through 2008.

mosnews.com
In a decree signed Tuesday Putin tasked the Interior and Defense Ministries to work out until December 15 of this year plans for redeployment of the security forces temporarily stationed in Chechnya.

The ministries have been instructed to look into possibilities for gradual withdrawal in the course of 2007 and 2008.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I can remember back when all of this started. The violence happen was very brutal. I don't know how many of the rebels have been caught or otherwise stopped. In cases like this fighting fire with fire is perhaps the only effective way to protect the lives of the people there. I do hope the rest of the small scale attacks by the rebels that are left will stop, and I wish life and happiness for all those in Chechnya.

Related News Links:
kavkazcenter.com
usa.mediamonitors.net
newsblaze.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Chechen warlord killed
TA-ATTACKS: Special Forces Storm Russian School After Explosives Detonated

mod edit, spelling/grammar

[edit on 9-8-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   

The violence happen was very brutal. I don't know how many of the rebels have been caught or otherwise stopped. In cases like this fighting fire with fire is perhaps the only effective way to protect the lives of the people there. I do hope the rest of the small scale attacks by the rebels that are left will stop, and I wish life and happiness for all those in Chechnya.

Russia outstayed its welcome a long time ago and all Fighting fire with Fire accomplished is to harden the resolve of those fighting for sovereinty. With that hardened resolve they no longer limited their attacks to Russian Targets in Chechnya. The result, Beslan. That is the primary reason they are pulling out IMO. Preventing another Beslan is probably paramount to those wishing to retain power in that country since Putin is up for re-election soon.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Sardion,
That is a very good point. I dont know if that is the main reason for the future pull out or not, but that is a very good point to the brutality that had been hapening there. That being said I do hope that this pull out is the right thing at the right time.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Chechnya is a Russian quagmire that puts Afghanistan in the shade. Im totally shocked that Putin has ordered a withdrawl, that is a major policy shift. I cant believe this isnt splashed over all news channels, then again...yes I can. Nice timing Mr.Putin, cut and run whilst the world is focused on Lebanon.

I wonder what kind of status Chechnya will attain after the withdrawal? Independance? Autonomy? Is the clandestine phase of Russian involvement going to start? Will the West get in on the action and foment a pro-West coloured revolution like in the Ukraine?

Im still shocked this is happening. Definately a major world news event.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Chechnya is a Russian quagmire that puts Afghanistan in the shade. Im totally shocked that Putin has ordered a withdrawl, that is a major policy shift.

Subz
I was rather suprised to read it also. But I must at least say it is possible that the major conflicts have stoped. The Rushians are much more burtal then most western nations when it comes to fighting. Where there is little chance the US could fight a gorrilla war with the restrictions that they have on inocient life and come out the victor, but the Rushians can do that because they will not have the same restrictions. So I half to think that it is at least possible that most of the fighters have been killed off, or have other wise left.

new topics

top topics

join