It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain , what does it mean?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I just watched a show concerning the use and history of the union flag (union jack once on a warship) and its position in todays world, it made me think about what we think of our countries and britain.

Do we scottish, english, northern irish and welsh citizens not believe in britain anymore? Are we thinking we can "go it alone" ?

So my question is this to all british ; What do you think of the union? What is britain to you? Do you believe in it or in going it alone?

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Do we scottish, english, northern irish and welsh citizens not believe in britain anymore? Are we thinking we can "go it alone" ?

You fogot the Cornish! Up until recently (17th-18th century), when persons described the British Isles, they would say "English, Irish, Welsh and Cornish", but we never had the manpower to revolt in the way that the other provincials did. There was one rebellion in the 1600's, but it was quashed.

Cornwall

Nowadays, people think of the Cornish as English, but we are not!

Cornwall is a Duchy, not a county, but is treated as one as de-facto by the central Government. It has always been independant of England and no formal Act of Union was ever passed.

If the Jocks, Taffs and Paddy's can get their own Assemblies etc, then why not us!

But, on the whole, I think Britian is quite nice. We could do with a few less spineless politicans and maybe a few hundred thousand less immigrants, but you can;t have everything.

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

- The 'bonds' are centuries old and the familial ties are so deep that the 'union' will endure IMO.

It's just the political ties will loosen a little, that's all.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Had to think about your post before I post my reply.

Me as a Scottish Guy, I'm proud to be British, as well as Scottish, but with recent events that is happening in the world nowadays makes me question what morales does the UK as a whole have nowadays.....

Alot of Nationalism has arised out of some outvoted politicians, and wannabe leaders wanting to divide the UK up and create anti nationalism between all the home countries in the UK.

In some quarters in the UK yes it is working, but Yeah we Like Our Parliament... Should England have one also answer: YES). But weither if it came to a question should Scotland break away from the rest of the UK. I do not think we would really. The Home countries rely on each other too mutch. In ecomonic and Military sense, I mean would you see a English squaddie fighting against a scottish squaddie or a welsh squaddie? I dont see that hapenning some how.

So my question is this to all british ; What do you think of the union? What is britain to you? Do you believe in it or in going it alone?

Yes the Union should stay together, remember history between all the countries in this union, they did not die for nothing.

Britian to me is a multicultural society. With yes I will say different classes, there is the working class, middle class and the upper class, and had always been like that in here in the UK. Will it change? time will tell.

Weither its football or Athletics this country thrives on trying to show the world that its great, and when ya see athletes standing on a podium weather from Scotland, Wales, England or N.Ireland, I can feel the pride of them on the nation for winning in the first place.

And that makes me feel proud to be British..........

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I prefer the idea of a union, a little bit of nationalsism be it English, Scottish, Welsh...or Cornish is healthy and probably to be expected but I've become uneasy at the current mood amongst groups within all the nationalities lately that want to push for seperateness. Britain united is a stronger more productive place than it ever could be as a collection of countries.

top topics

join