It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Panic and Hysteria Theory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Often times, people cite the theory that a government will not reveal an extraterrestrial presence because it is hostile and/or scary. I've often thought about this, and it seemed to me that people wouldn't be that crazy. For example, the claim is often made that civilization would collapse. I've always thought that may be a bit over the top.

But then I read this story today:

Austria Gripped by Fear of Spider

Is this true? Is anyone in Austria or near by on this board?

If stingy spider bites being covered in the media is causing 100s of people to run ot the hospital thinking they have ben bit by this spider (when few have), is this hysteria a tiny taste of what would happen if the media reported mutilations of people by aliens?

This makes me rething the panic hypothesis.... My grandmother lived in one of the areas 'reported' to be attacked in the War of the Worlds radio drama. People in her neighborhood panic-ed. They were nieve about media back then, but I am starting to wonder.

What do you think about the phenomena of hysteria today (2006)?

[edit on 4-8-2006 by Ectoterrestrial]

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I definitely believe that this is, for the most part, the main reason (aside from their withholding of technology for "national security" purposes)...
I think 'war of the worlds' was an example that they still go by to this day, and they feel that wide-spread panic would occur (even if we weren't being "attacked").There would be so many questions to answer (having kept it secret from everyone for so long now), and would have to answer to whether or not Aliens are hostile, (or perhaps they've come to certain "agreements"...who knows?). I also think they feel it would upset a good portion of religous beliefs for a lot of people, so overall still feel the time isn't right.

I did see a recent poll, where something along the line of 70 something percent of people polled believe that Aliens exist, are coming here, and would not be upset or scared to know the truth.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I was always skeptical of that theory in the past. But now, I donno. I remember during 9/11, they lied deliberately and said that the low-temperature burn from the world trade center was not a health risk, just to avoid NYC from panicing. And after 9/11, they told people to keep buying stuff.

Personally, I think we can assume the government is afraid of hysteria whenever they ask the public to "just keep buying things". When they fear economic collapse, then we know they are worried about their precious New World definition of civilization.

But, what of the theories concerning benevolent aliens? Earth Sister, sleeper, and others here, for example, would claim to be in contact with benevolent, or at the very least, non-malaevolent aliens. I wonder if these aliens have spoken to them about our governments' take on them? Are our governments afraid? Does human religion impact our relations? Etc, etc. (All hypothetical, of course, as I have no personal experience to back up any of these stories.)

If we were working on special bullets in secret projects, rather than working on remote viewing, what would that mean?

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
the media needs to cover something, especially during summer, i wouldn't assume their claims are even remotely correct. tbh, if you wanna be afraid of insects, be afraid of ticks carrying borrelia (Lyme...), this stuff isn't nearly as noticeable and can kill, or worse paralyse you for life. (/ot)

don't you think that slandering the public as hysterical and immature dimwits is in their best interest, assuming there is a worldwide coverup, of course.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Meh. Humans adjust quickly. How many millions have the car killed? Yet we use it every day. I dont see anyone panic in the middle of a street when a car comes along even though its about as bad as a nuclear holocaust.

Hell we're even ready to go to war to KEEP our cars running.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by merka
Meh. Humans adjust quickly. How many millions have the car killed? Yet we use it every day. (Snip)

I agree. The hard truth of it is that, even under enormous, world-changing circumstances, life goes on.

If the President of the United States went on TV tonight with the ambassador from Zeta Reticuli, welcoming our new best friends from outer space, most of us would still have to go to work tomorrow.

On September 11, 2001, both my wife and I absolutely had to be at work that day. Admittedly, not much got done, but each of us had a couple of critical items that demanded our respective attentions.

People's attention spans being what they are, they might still be thinking more about Mel Gibson's troubles than the large circular objects hovering over our major cities.

Baack

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baack

Originally posted by merka

People's attention spans being what they are, they might still be thinking more about Mel Gibson's troubles than the large circular objects hovering over our major cities.

Baack

Scary part is, you're probably right about that!

[edit on 4-8-2006 by Purgatory]

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Yeah, I tend to agree that people adjust. And I agree that the media helps create a hysteria.

But what about spiders. I mean, people just find them creepy.

When the DC sniper was shooting people in the forehead at random locations, many people stopped going out. Many people wouldn't stop to get gas on the I95 corridor.

If aliens were creepy predators, who tended to abduct and mutilate people, and the government COULD NOT stop them, and could not produce some friendly 80s Spielfbergian embassador, how would people react?

What if there was an ambassador and he looked like a giant yellow sacked Austrian spider, even if he just sang John Lennon tunes?

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Great points- I still think even though many people nowadays accept the existence of Aliens/UFO's coming here, I don't think if such info was spoken publicly that the masses would take it so lightly.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   

When the DC sniper was shooting people in the forehead at random locations, many people stopped going out. Many people wouldn't stop to get gas on the I95 corridor.

Well, if I could choose between alien abduction and getting shot in the freakin forehead I would choose the aliens.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ectoterrestrial
If aliens were creepy predators, who tended to abduct and mutilate people, and the government COULD NOT stop them, and could not produce some friendly 80s Spielfbergian embassador, how would people react?

If the aliens were like that, it seems to me we'd be at war with them anyhow. I'm sure creepy scared silly (I know I would be,) but hopefully we'd pull ourselves together and figure out how to protect ourselves, if not actually successfully battled the aliens back.

But yeah, mass heebie-jeebies would ensue. Of course, Donald Rumsfeld would express optimism that things were under control.

What if there was an ambassador and he looked like a giant yellow sacked Austrian spider, even if he just sang John Lennon tunes?

Arthur C. Clarke's "Childhood's End" posits a reasonably friendly alien race that just happens to look like our classic image of Satan (horns, leathery skin, wings, etc.). Knowing how we'd react to their appearance, they stayed in their ships for a period of years after making initial contact. Of course, had been singing John Lennon tunes, they could have stepped out much earlier. On the other hand, it'd be weird to have a scary-looking alien be singing "Mother."

Baack

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I think the mass hysteria would be less about the alien visitors and more about the mobilization of the armed forces and their WMDs to supposedly protect us from the visitors. I think that if handled properly hysteria could be avoided but I think that our government and the media has all of the finesse of a bull in a china shop.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Google on the "Brookings Report Alien" and you'll see a more realistic reason to keep the public in the dark on alien presence.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
If we look at ourselves for who we are, we find a very different "Individual" because only "We" know everything that "We" have done. The rest of your "Phobias" are created from what you heard and what you think you know. It is not a question of when ,why or whom, it is the question of "What if?" If you have an existing paranoia of "Spiders" they are all out to get you. If you have an existing "Paranoia" of Aliens, "There going to get you."
The point being, "I have been in worst perdiciments than most, I have been stabbed 4 times, I have been shot 3 times, I have lost connection of my daughters and I have lost "Ignorance".
if you experience something, "Don't be afraid because it took your breath away." Learn from it, know what to do and when to do it. If you are "Weak Minded" then stay away from thoughts of the "Unbelievable". If you are "Timid" don't go around the people that make yoou feel that way.(Thoughts for the Weak hearted)
To me, "it is all too much......" Get on with your lives, don't let nothing slow you down, you deserve your right to live the way "You see fit." and it shouldn't matter to anyone else.
Too add:
Ihave bitten by the following,
Brown Recluse(SP?)
Red Scorpion
Rattle Snake
poisinous Tarantula
Stung by lionfish
stung with Jelly-fish
attact by "Blue Hornets"
Tick's of "Lime-disease"
and for the naturalists :
Almost drowned 2 times
was almost froze to death from a backpacking experience
(That was for 5 Days)
got lost in the Everglades for 4 days
Basically walked from La cali. too South Dakota , took me 14 days
(Only 2 burgers on the way)
getting home and being rideculed for who I was ,was the toughest!!!
Phobias are of the "Mind" you cannot be scared of something you haven't experinced. It is impossible.
So, TO me , "Hysteria" is a way of preceiving something you have not gotten a chance to experience."
IMOHO.

top topics

join