It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plague of Plastic Chokes the Seas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Plague of Plastic Chokes the Seas

On Midway Atoll, 40% of albatross chicks die, their bellies full of trash. Swirling masses of drifting debris pollute remote beaches and snare wildlife.

...Of the 500,000 albatross chicks born here each year, about 200,000 die, mostly from dehydration or starvation. A two-year study funded by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency showed that chicks that died from those causes had twice as much plastic in their stomachs as those that died for other reasons.

The atoll is littered with decomposing remains, grisly wreaths of feathers and bone surrounding colorful piles of bottle caps, plastic dinosaurs, checkers, highlighter pens, perfume bottles, fishing line and small Styrofoam balls. Klavitter has calculated that albatross feed their chicks about 5 tons of plastic a year at Midway.

More...

:shk:

Dae

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Our current lifestyle that we have been born into, just isnt healthy, for us and the earth. Humans arnt stupid but this is stupidity, its so obvious that our lifestyles is one of plunder and not nourishment.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   
That is just so sad

Down here, southern coast of Aust, when I'm out in the water there is rarely any rubbish, and if there is I make the effort to tuck it into my wetsuit or something to stick it in a bin later. But sooner or later, the amount of rubbish will just far exceed what we are capable of cleaning up, and it will deteriorate rapidly from there. The general state of things is already falling fast enough anyway.

new topics

join