It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Playing Arms Dealer to the Mid-East as it explodes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 07:46 AM
link   
The Bush administration has made plans to sell $4.9 Billion in arms and advanced weaponery to moderate mid-east states ranging from Saudi Arabia to Israel, from Bahrain to the United Arab Emirates including tanks, jet fighters, fuel and munitions.

www.nytimes.com
US Plans $4.6 Billion in Mideast Arms Sales

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Bush administration spelled out plans on Friday to sell $4.6 billion of arms to moderate Arab states, including battle tanks worth as much as $2.9 billion to protect critical Saudi infrastructure.

The announcement came two weeks after the administration said it would sell Israel its latest supply of JP-8 aviation fuel valued at up to $210 million to help Israeli warplanes ''keep peace and security in the region.''

The United States also rushed a delivery of precision-guided bombs requested by Israel after launching its airstrikes against Hizbollah fighters in Lebanon 17 days ago, The New York Times reported last week.

In the newly proposed sales to Arab states, UH-60M Black Hawk helicopter gunships worth up to $808 million would go to the United Arab Emirates, while AH-64 Apache helicopters worth as much as $400 million would go to Saudi Arabia.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

They won't let me curse like I want to on here about this but I have to ask how the hell can we honestly position ourselves as a peace broker when we are selling arms to both sides?

Oh yes I forget we are capitalists and morality doesn't matter except in elections, profit ALWAYS comes first. This is deeply obscene. Akin to selling fuel and matches to a pyromanic. Oh yes I forget, Israel and Saudi Arabia are moderate pyromanics.

I know I know...there are those on here (and if I close my eyes I can see their names) who will say if we don't sell weapons to them, they will get them from someplace else, and at least we know what they are getting but that argument doesn't hold water, they are probably getting arms from all sorts of sources.

There are those who claim that we will never have peace...they lie, we will never have peace so long as there are people and nations who have a vested interest in stoking the fires...and selling arms to both sides is stoking the fires.

Related News Links:
www.truthout.org

[edit on 30-7-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   
You have voted grover for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Before you get too preachy, lets look at the BIG picture, shall we?

Russia is selling it's arms-all of them- to countries like Syria/Iran/China (i know not middle east, but they have weapons and a great interest in the middle east/Iraq...

China, as we know has been selling weapons to Iran/Syria....

Are we seeing a pattern.
Perhaps the US selling of arms is nothing but a counter to what the Russians are doing.

We know they do this to counter the US.
It is one of my favorite dreams for this to backfire on them and have the ME attack russia and it's interests.

[edit on 7/30/2006 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
Before you get too preachy, lets look at the BIG picture, shall we?

Russia is selling it's arms-all of them- to countries like Syria/Iran/China (i know not middle east, but they have weapons and a great interest in the middle east/Iraq...

China, as we know has been selling weapons to Iran/Syria....

Are we seeing a pattern.
Perhaps the US selling of arms is nothing but a counter to what the Russians are doing.

Or we could look at the BIGGER picture and see that everyone is making some big bucks off of this! It's not getting preachy, if you want stability in the ME, I don't believe that giving everyone more weapons is the answer. Also, I don't notice that many countries buy weapons to just sit on them forever until they rot away. No, they are eventually used, which causes them to buy more, and the big boys profit again.

Also hoping that something backfires on Russia/China and dreaming about it is something that I find quite disturbing. Why would you have a favorite dream about more war? Did I maybe read it incorrectly? I hope so.

[edit on 7/30/06 by niteboy82]

*Edits - Can't get quotes correctly and can't spell today!

[edit on 7/30/06 by niteboy82]

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   
It is not getting preachy...I can only speak of my outrage at what my country does...as a voter, I have some responsiblity for what our government does in my name even if I didn't vote for the buggers (and that is not to say anything bad about buggers
), I cannot speak for China or Russia, but the criticism is the same....as long as any of them (us) are selling arms to the combatants, or efforts to broker a peace deal ring hollow. As I said on another thread, I seriously doubt the "big boys" will ever actually trade arms fire again....wars are fought by proxy these days.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   
"Despite grovers's hysteric rhetoric about The United States selling weapons to everyone in the Mid-east, its bullhooey."

The article says nothing about the United States selling weapons to countries like Iran, and Syria, that is left for countries like China, Russia and North Korea among others, ah but we know grovers response to what countries like those are doing when they sell weapons to radical regimes. We all should know how much grover likes Israeli civilians when he nevers says a peep when Israel civilians have died, or should I say Jewish people? But if Israelis respond to attacks and civilians from the other side die grover immediately calls it a "crime"...

Innocent civilians do die in wars, I wish it wasn't so, but it does happens, and every country in the world is selling arms to others...countries like Russia and China apparently like to sell their armaments only to those who call themselves "enemies of the United States", but again, grover never mentions that... How dare the United States sell weapons to countries?.... it is not like our enemies are being armed to the teeth....

[edit on 30-7-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I never said that the U.S. is selling weapons to everyone. Nor did I imply it. I said that I cannot speak for other countries but that I consider selling arms with one hand to both sides and trying to broker a peace deal is the height of hypocricy.

You are not going to bully me muaddib... every one of these posts of mine you have responded to, you have been the one twisting my words....and you say I lie?

I really don't give a damned whether you like my opinion or not, I am entitled to it without harrassment from blowhards like yourself.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
I never said that the U.S. is selling weapons to everyone. Nor did I imply it. I said that I cannot speak for other countries but that I consider selling arms with one hand to both sides and trying to broker a peace deal is the height of hypocricy.

Right so I guess you never said

They won't let me curse like I want to on here about this but I have to ask how the hell can we honestly position ourselves as a peace broker when we are selling arms to both sides?

When it is a fact that who is selling weapons to Iran and Syria are countries like Russia, China and North Korea....

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Related somewhat to this thread is the following:

Irish refused bombs sent to Prestwick airport

BOMBS destined to be used by Israel are being flown via Scotland only because the Irish government refused to allow them to land on its soil.

Scotland on Sunday can reveal that after the conflict in Lebanon began three weeks ago, Ireland turned down a United States request for planes carrying 600lb so-called bunker busters to refuel at Shannon airport in Co Clare.

As a result, cargo planes carrying the bombs, which the Israeli army is using in its offensive against the Hezbollah, are being flown via Prestwick airport in Ayrshire.

More...

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   
that is splitting hairs...you know exactly what I meant, Arab countries and Israel.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
US sell weapons to the people that best serve their interest . . .

I guess US is making sure that when the big war explode in the middle east his friends will be well armed. . .

So they can destroy each other very well . . . Syria and Iran well . . . they have their own way to get their weapons.

The world is such a wonderful place . . .it just depend who is your friend . . .

new topics

top topics

join