posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 12:17 PM
The plasma theory makes good sense. I couldn't hear the tape because currently I'm not at a computer with audio, but the plasma explanation makes
Essentially, the flame of the tooth-pick is ALREADY a quasi-plasma. It's not "air" and it's not "plasma"... it's kinda a state inbetween. This
does mean, however, that it can be affected by somethings that affect plasmas, and some things that affect air. Microwaves could interact with the
charged ions of this quasi-plasma and cause it to, momentarily, become a REAL plasma.
As it does this is likely "eats" all the oxygen directly around it, which causes the sudden explosiveness of the flame, followed by the sudden
dwindling. The reason why it keeps going (but gets less and less recurrent) is because the amount of oxygen in the microwave is going down. The plasma
also expands quickly, which is another reason why it seems explosive.
Yes, that appears to be a very good explanation.
Pretty cool - I didn't know that a lit substance in a microwave could/would do that!