It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Dr. Steven Jones hold any credibility?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I am completely convinced that the official theory is false and that someone (the government or an unknown covert group or other powerful individuals or possibly a mix thereof) on the ‘inside’ is at least partially complicit in the September 11 events. The collapse of the WTC Towers and especially the collapse of building 7 are the significant pieces of evidence which leads to me this conclusion.

But really, having read about Dr. Steven Jones and his beliefs I am having problems accepting anything this professor claims without thorough scrutiny. The problem is I am not an engineer, physicist or a chemist so there are times were I cannot for my self determine whether or not what Steven presents as evidence is accurate.

Why do I feel his credibility is compromised? It’s quite simple a bias I have against his personal belief: He’s a Mormon. Not only does he suffer from Christ-psychosis he has chosen to believe in the most outrageous version of Christianity; Mormonism. I find my self asking: How can a rational mind believe in such things?

Why are his spiritual beliefs valid? Well simply put in an article written by our kind professor he presents evidence that Jesus visited the Americas, this worries me greatly. This makes me concerned that Steven Jones will look at an event such as 911 and fabricate links in his mind that are really not there to make the evidence fit his theory. Can a person who believes in such extreme fantasies be trusted to produce accurate evidence for something as sensitive as the 911 conspiracy theories?

Kind Regards,
Vlad Têpês

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
He is a Moromon and a Physicist.

He is quite careful to keep these topics seperate except for two pages in his last article.

What was Einsteins religion? He wrote about a religion I disagree with aLL THE TIME, but his work on the theory of relativity remains sound and unaffected by these religious beliefs and CERTAINLY atom bombs work even though he subscribes to a religion I think is FLAT OUT WRONG.

I am a christian... does that mean I cannot be trusted to write valid c# code? To build a house? Does it invalidate my BS from the University of Michigan?

IMPEACH THE SCIENE, NOT THE SCIENTIST.

[edit on 26-7-2006 by Slap Nuts]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   
So, by your reasoning Vlad, since I don't believe in Christianity then most everyone in the USA can't be trusted to differenciate Christ from their jobs? Should I listen to Bush then since he believes God talks to him and wants him to attack other countries?

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   

IMPEACH THE SCIENE, NOT THE SCIENTIST.

I agree with this statement. The problem for me occurs when another scientist refutes and claims that Dr. Steven Jones is not correct. Without starting a comprehensive study on the various fields of expertise my self, whom am I to trust?

Also Albert Einstein's work has been proven to be correct over years of research and evaluation, I don't think it is fair to compare Einstein's theory of relatvity to Steven Jones's work on 911 as of yet.

History has clearly proven that religion regularly interferes with science (for a modern example, please reference Kent Hovind, www.talkorigins.org...). I would not trust an individual whom believes in fairy tales to make an accurate scientific analysis. Of course, that does not mean a religious man could not be a great scientist, it just means I would be very skeptical to accept any of his work without a thorough peer review.

Originally posted by Griff
So, by your reasoning Vlad, since I don't believe in Christianity then most everyone in the USA can't be trusted to differenciate Christ from their jobs? Should I listen to Bush then since he believes God talks to him and wants him to attack other countries?

I don't quite understand what you are saying here. Forgive me; my native tongue is not English. I think the claim which Bush makes as you mention is absolutely absurd. The fact that the president of the United States makes such a claim is ridiculous and goes to show how dangerous ignorance (and religion) is. Christ-psychosis is an illness which needs to be treated as schizophrenia in my honest opinion.

[edit on 26-7-2006 by VladTheImpaler]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Q: Does Dr. Steven Jones hold any credibility??

i see him just as duped into the un-Official Conspiracy Trap as most Americans

We, collectively just refuse to believe that this great nation, a super-power,
can get defeated/bamboozled by any outside force (zealot middle-easterners)

Therefore there is the widespread Fiction that the WTC towers 1,2 &7 were
all demolished in an elaborate US gov't conspiracy.

Jones is just joining the bandwagon, as the 'official' facts that are let out into
the public domain are intended to create a 'conspiracy-&-coverup' conclusion.

Questioning Jones' credibility or veracity, because he's a Mormon, has no merit or meaning to me

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
Jones is just joining the bandwagon, as the 'official' facts that are let out into
the public domain are intended to create a 'conspiracy-&-coverup' conclusion.

I would rather argue that he has fallen off the bandwagon and is working against it. Using the term bandwagon would better describe people whom unquestionably follows and supports the official version without skepticism.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by VladTheImpaler
Christ-psychosis is an illness which needs to be treated as schizophrenia in my honest opinion.

By what you responded, i think you understood my post. Off topic a little bit but there have been studies that correlate what you call "Christ-psychosis" with mental illnessess. Think about the town idiot who speaks of "demons/devils and the apocalypse". There is a definate correlation to being fanatically religious (all religions) and mental illness. Where I work in DC, there is a park across the street where alot of homeless (mentally ill) people hang out. I'd say at least 75% of them are very religious by what they yell at people. One guy specifically sticks in my mind. He was standing in the middle of the street yelling at an invisible Tom Cruise and spouting that he shouldn't be blaspheming Jesus.

Back on topic. Just because Jones believes that Jesus visited North America shouldn't put any damper on his 9/11 research. I believe in UFOs....does that mean I can't inspect a building's facade for damage (that's what I do for a living if you didn't know that)? Now, if Professor Jones can't differentiate between his religious beliefs and his research, then I'd say you have a point....but so far I haven't seen him do this yet.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
SJ has no cred,seems to be" loose'en"more each time he opens his mouth.It is a sad statement on society as a whole.The best way for him do penance for his crimes against humanity,Scholars etc.,is move to the middle east.He would prob last about a week.Sad to see a man of science slide down the slopes of smili,and out of context lies.All for what?Book sales and lecture fees,to speak at UFO conventions.Physics prof's the world over shake their heads in shame!

Keep showing AJ,my bad ment SJ.Ooops

[edit on 26-7-2006 by Duhh]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Duhh,

I've noticed you keep saying AJ when talking about Professor Steven Jones. Are you confussing Alex Jones and Steven Jones? Also, please can you start using the space bar? It is hard to take you seriously when I can't even fluidly read your posts. Thank you.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Enough with you people that complain about the way some of us type.If that keeps you from understanding the post,then don't read.No one is begging you.Handle the arguement!If you can?I personally never type, except to shootdown things here! You are a typo SNOBBB! Get on with it!

I went back and viewed some posts. You are right,it is annoying. I will try to pay attention to it more. I still think the statements are stong, just rather hard to read. My appologies to those that find this so horrible!

[edit on 26-7-2006 by Duhh]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
OkSorryforaskingthatyouusethespacebar.Howaboutansweringmyquestion?Isthisbetterforyoutoreadthen?

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duhh
Enough with you people that complain about the way some of us type.

The only reason I complain is that you claim to have degree(s) yet do not seem to use the power of grammar to your advantage.

[edit on 26-7-2006 by Slap Nuts]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I have never claimed to have a degree on this site. I do have a Fine Arts degree in communication. Left college in 88. I have worked in the Music Biz for twenty odd years. This is the most I have had to type in my life. Also not a speller on the fly. I think I am more prose, than perfect structure etc..
I have stated, sorry that offends so many. Still working on the typo skills. I get the point!

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

We, collectively just refuse to believe that this great nation, a super-power,
can get defeated/bamboozled by any outside force (zealot middle-easterners)

Therefore there is the widespread Fiction that the WTC towers 1,2 &7 were
all demolished in an elaborate US gov't conspiracy.

If you really think that's why we don't believe the official story, then you obviously haven't paid any attention to what we have been saying. It's certainly not why I don't believe the governments story, mine comes from historical precedence and the physics of the collapses themselves.

And why don't you guys, instead of attacking the person, start attacking his work, if you can?

I don't care what his religious beliefs are, can you prove Jesus didn't come to America, or is it just your belief he didn't? In fact many ppl believe Jesus travelled the world and studied at many universities. They're just beliefs, not an indication of some ones mental health.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
And why don't you guys, instead of attacking the person, start attacking his work, if you can?

I agree, I'm not trying to attack Dr. Steven Jones, simply questioning his credibility (unless you consider that an attack). I question everything, because that is my way of life.

I don't care what his religious beliefs are, can you prove Jesus didn't come to America, or is it just your belief he didn't? In fact many ppl believe Jesus travelled the world and studied at many universities. They're just beliefs, not an indication of some ones mental health.

I totally disagree with this assertion. I cannot prove that Jesus did not come to America anymore than you can disprove that the tooth fairy, the flying spaghetti monster or that Santa Claus exists. The burden of proof is on the one who makes the claim (proving a negative is impossible).

Would you claim that if I were to tell you that I believe that Crab People secretly rules the world and that HowardRoark is their leader disguised in human flesh and their goal is to overtake the earth from humans by making really good crab cakes which would leave us hopelessly addicted? Furthermore I would tell you that Santa Claus and all the other fantasy characters is in on it in a massive conspiracy to deceive and control humans. Also I would tell you that once every 3 and half years the Crab People would demand of me that I kill 3 innocent babies in order to keep the populace under control. Would you say that my beliefs have nothing to do with my mental health?

To give another example, would you be comfortable having a member of the Flat Earth Society (yes, it is real!) teaching a science class at your local high school? (en.wikipedia.org...)

Don't tell me beliefs are just 'beliefs' as if it holds no relevance that is bogus. On the other hand I do realize that it is possible that you can have a set of belifes that does not in any way interfer or conflict with science (note possible).

Kind Regards,
Vlad

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I like this thread, thanks for creating it.

His credibility in the past may of been critical because of his articles on Cold Fusion, but as his work towards 9/11 goes on, that amounts to how much credibility he has. If anything big comes of this within coming months, I guess we'll see, otherwise, he won't be going anywhere.

Only time will tell!

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by VladTheImpaler
To give another example, would you be comfortable having a member of the Flat Earth Society

You're missing the point. Flat Earth and science have direct connections, physics and Jesus don't. Just because he believes what he does about Jesus has no relation to his knowledge in physics.
But someone who believes the Earth is flat, against obvious proof otherwise, would definitely be in question on other scientific questions.

You can PROVE the Earth is not flat, you can't PROVE Jesus did not come to the states, can you? It's just opinion, his and yours, not science at all.
So your analogy doesn't work imo....

I think your just looking for anything to justify dismissing what Jones says about 9-11 because you can't refute it.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 03:45 AM
link   

I think your just looking for anything to justify dismissing what Jones says about 9-11 because you can't refute it.

Nor too many others... at this point.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   

You can PROVE the Earth is not flat, you can't PROVE Jesus did not come to the states, can you? It's just opinion, his and yours, not science at all.
So your analogy doesn't work imo....

I don't dismiss Dr Jones, I just won't accept it until it's been peer reviewed because I have no way of really knowing.

but one could argue that it can be proven that the earth is more than 6000 years old, which goes along with the believing in Jesus part.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by snoopy
I just won't accept it until it's been peer reviewed...

Then the ONGOING argument will resume about who is qualified to do the peer review etc. :LOL:

Just read it, check the references and dispute it or agree with it or dispute some of it or WHATEVER.

The constant attempts to impeach his charachter or the peer review process INSTEAD of refuting the WORDS IN THE PAPERS/ARTICLES is irrtating and I believe shows WEAKNESS from the "Jones DEBUNKERS".

Just my humble $.02

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join