It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell phones work on planes!!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Damn, can't believe I missed that Myth Buster. Need to see if it is avail on demand.Even though no one care if they work or not! LOL! Atleast not the CT crowd. They hate this!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   
yup, as i said back in may, i have had pilots call me on their cell phones when they were having radio trouble.....and that was pre-911.

they work folks.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duhh
Even though no one care if they work or not! LOL! Atleast not the CT crowd. They hate this!!!!!!!!!

I think you're just a little full of yourself, lol. How many people were saying cell phones won't work on planes in the first place? I know I wasn't.

!!!!!!!!!!

[edit on 26-7-2006 by bsbray11]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Hehehe this is the second such irelivant post by duh, check out the one about the Sept. 11th revisted video. I can't believe someone can wach that and not go...Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

And then try to debunk it with a single word that was probably said by mistake.
The real witnesses go on deaf ears, the fake ones are the only ones listened too.
Does this not sound just a little suspicious?
Or are you practicing for debate class or something duh...LOL Are tuccy and snoopy your class mates? heheheh just guessing mate?

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark

Originally posted by icyblue
When was the last time a plane fell out of the sky or exploded,because of a cell phone?

LX 498 Crossair crash

Slovenian emergency landing

These two cases were never proven to be a direct result,of cell phone useage.Read the news reports again 1st one states, exploring the Possibility and the other sounds like the airline was trying to hide some other problems with the plane.

[edit on 27-7-2006 by icyblue]

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 12:36 AM
link   

First alarm was set when cell phones became widely spread and equipment errors became more often but still there were no direct evidences. Till 2000 some of the countries didn't joint to the ban against cell phones but an air crash of the flight number LX 498 Crossair (Saab 340) considerably changed the situation. It was not far from Zurich on the 10. of January 2000. Ten passengers and a whole crew perished in that air crash. For a long time the results of flight recorders decoding were not announced but at last it was a sensation. One of the reasons of the crash was an SMS message, which was received by one of the passengers, and a next cell phone conversation. Navigation monitoring devices showed wrong data at that moment, what led to a crash. Comments of independent experts were not comforting, they said that crew could improve the situation but it also made a mistake and crash was inevitable. Everybody agreed that an airplane fortune depended on crew actions and crew professionalism after electrical fsystems stopped working. Those countries which hadn't joint to the ban before, hurried on to do it. After that this air crash was forgotten.

www.mobile-review.com...

That sounds pretty conclusive to me.

Thursday, March 2, 2006; Posted: 8:10 p.m. EST (01:10 GMT)
(CNN) -- Just when you thought it was safe to switch on your cell phone, it seems that making calls in the air could pose a greater risk than running up an exorbitant bill.

A new study by scientists at the Carnegie Mellon University shows that interference caused by mobile phones may create more interference to aircraft navigation systems than previously thought.

If true, the findings -- which also reveal that many passengers are flouting current in-flight cell phone bans -- could call into question airline plans to wire jets to accommodate mobile networks.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 06:19 AM
link   
phones always could work on planes, its just that they don't like you using them on planes because it interferes with the planes equipment/computers/etc.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by twisted_fate
STUPID STUPID WOMAN!!! ugh..I wouldn't of asked her what phone she has, instead I would of slapped her and told her how damn stupid she is!

Phones do work..but with new phones coming out all the time with different freq, even though there is only a really really really really small chance of anything happening to the planes systems..they want to be safe then sorry..makes sense =)

whats the worst that could happen! the signal from the other phone calling into the plane crashes with the airplane and breaks off its wing?! exactly!

these rules about no phones are garbage... just another way for them to control how noisy people can be.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

... may create more interference to aircraft navigation systems than previously thought.

May create... does not sound so compelling.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 04:23 PM
link   
That particular study no, but the accident investigation that shows that a message and phone call were partly to cause in the crash is.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Yes, they actually do! Now, I find it really hard to believe the cospirators who say that "how can they actually talk on the phone at 40,000 feet" Well, I'lll tell you what, I have tested my phone around 10 times, and it actually worked 6 out of those 10 times. So much for that theory. Good post!

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I would not mind believing cell phones work aat 30,000 or above but where are the scientific studies that can back it up. Sure Times can say something but all technologies have a beginning and road that peodfple can follow to understand
the technology under investigation. I would like to see something

www.usatoday.com...

Fliers may soon get to use cell phones
By Paul Davidson, USA TODAY
The spread of cell phones may soon reach forbidden turf: airline flights. At least two companies, AirCell and Verizon Airfone, are developing technology to let passengers use their cell phones without disrupting airplane electronics or ground cellular service.
Cell phones on planes

AirCell expects to charge less to make a cell phone call
than in-flight pay phones:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Connection fee, cost per minute

Verizon Airfone: $3.99, $3.99

AirCell: No fee, 75 cents to $1.50 roaming charge

The services would have to pass muster with the Federal Aviation Administration and Federal Communications Commission, which ban in-flight phone use.

AirCell is closest to ready and says service could be on planes in early 2004. Airline officials say a rollout might be three years away. Yet there is a new push by the airlines and regulators to make in-flight cell phone use a reality.

"We certainly want to work toward enabling customers to use their own cell phones," says Mary Rogozinski, United Airlines' manager of on-board systems planning.

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 2/8/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   

physics911.ca...

Project Achilles Report Parts One, Two and Three
by A.K. Dewdney, January 23rd 2003
Preliminary low-altitude cellphone experiment
January 23 2003; 4:35 - 5:40 pm
Civic Airport, London, Ontario, Canada

Equipment:
aircraft: Diamond DA20/C1 Katana two-seater
engine: 125 hp
body & airframe: fiberglass/carbon fiber composite
weight fully loaded: 1630 lbs

cellphones: one Motorola model "120 CDMA" cellphone (A)
two Motorola "i1000 plus" cellphones (B)
(both fully charged at flight time)

The flight plan consisted of four "laps," elongated circuits (shaped like a paperclip) over London, Ontario airspace. Each lap was about seven to eight miles long and two to three miles wide. Three calls were made on each of two straight legs in each lap. Calls alternated between cellphone A and cellphone B. A second i1000, intended for use at higher altitudes, slipped to the cockpit floor and could not be retrieved in those cramped quarters. A check of battery levels of the first i1000, however, showed that there had been no significant power drain on the unit.

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 2/8/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I was sure that the only reason that you couldn't use cell phaones on airplanes was because there was a very small chance that the frequency would overlap with the signal coming from the control tower, and the pilot wouldn't know what to do.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by lildevil585
I was sure that the only reason that you couldn't use cell phaones on airplanes was because there was a very small chance that the frequency would overlap with the signal coming from the control tower, and the pilot wouldn't know what to do.

Why wouldn't the pilot know what to do?

Sorry, but the mental image I got from that made me laugh.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Actually it was the electronics they were concerned about. The fear was that the frequency of the phone was going to be similar to the frequencies of certain electronics and interfere. Notably the Navigation system.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by lildevil585

first of all, control towers only work the aircraft into the airport, and they have an emergency backup system called a light gun. the pilot looks at the tower for light signals if he looses communication.

second, enroute between airports an aircraft is talking to radar facilities, not a tower. a pilot will talk to many such facilities and many different controllers in each facility during the course of his flight.....and their is no communication backup during this enroute portion. if a pilot looses radio communication and cant reach anyone on the worldwide emergency frequencies, then he is expected to fly his last assigned clearance to the airport, and ATC keeps everyone else out of his way.....this doesnt happen very often.

the point is that the pilot and air traffic know what to do in the event of communication failure.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
The first time I used my cell phone on a plane was in summer 2001, when I was commuting from Phoenix to Tokyo on a fairly regular basis. On two occasions, I was not met by my wife at the airport because once she was watching our son compete in the high school State Track-and-Field Finals and once was we were closing on our house.

Obviously, in both cases, I took a cab from the airport to where she was; and, in both cases, called her from my cell phone while midair between LAX and PHX to confirm the address. In one case she called me back, too. There was a roaming charge (even though I was over Yuma at the time), but the connection was fine -- and this was five years ago.

I hunched down in my seat so the space-waitress wouldn't see me, of course; but the bottom line was that the calls worked just fine. And I wasn't too concerned about the cell-phones screwing up the flight instrumentation, since we weren't in a critical flight regime (takeoff or landing).

So why do people not want to believe that you can make phone calls from aircraft?

Simple.

Many people desperately want to believe the 9-11 conspiracies, and anything which will tend to give credence to the way it actually happened simply must be shot down, even if it takes false information ("you can't make cell phone calls from an airplane") to try and buttress their arguments.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
Many people desperately want to believe the 9-11 conspiracies

I don’t’ think it’s a question of want so much as it is a need. The need, of some people, to believe in these conspiracies, often borders on pathological.

The same thing was evident during the height of the chemtrail hoax.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 01:48 AM
link   
There is only one thing I can say about that:

Try to do this above where flight 93's passengers called from, considder it might not have reception in that part of the US
or atleast in the air...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join