It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sex in Outer Space

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Bigelow Aerospace plans to put a hotel complex in orbit by the next decade - and space tourist couples presumably will want to have sex there. So MSN recently published a brief "guide" to sex in outer space; Vanna Bonta has designed "intimate wear" to help couples connect and stay connected with Velcro during sex in space; and scientists want more research to find out if and how biology works in zero-G and whether or not humanity can reproduce in space.

www.msnbc.msn.com

LAS VEGAS - Having sex in the weightlessness of outer space is the stuff of urban legends and romantic fantasy — but experts say that there would be definite downsides as well.

Spacesickness, for instance. And the difficulty of choreographing intimacy. And the potential for sweat and other bodily fluids to, um, get in the way.

"The fantasy might be vastly superior to the reality," NASA physician Jim Logan said here Sunday at the Space Frontier Foundation's NewSpace 2006 conference. Nevertheless, Logan and others say the study of sex and other biological basics in outer space will be crucial to humanity's long-term push into the final frontier.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So much for the Kama Sutra - this is a whole new ball game. With Velcro.

[sigh]

But seriously - if humans can't reproduce in space, we may have a problem. Space travel being what it is, and taking the time that it does, humans likely will need to replace themselves on the way to new worlds.

Space pioneers will need to be bioneers too. And it won't be easy.

The possible problems with reproduction include fetal development, the proper formation of neural connections - and never mind the difficulty of actual fertilization in zero-G.

Any ideas?

A Few Online Resources:

The Space Place
Space Settlements
BFI
PLAYING THE COMMERCIAL SPACE GAME: TIME FOR A NEW RULE BOOK?
AstroVenture

[edit on 25-7-2006 by soficrow]

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I'll wait for the Epcot simulation attraction myself.

Seriously, we aren't responsible about sex on our own planet as it is (my opinion)but (per one of the people in the article) need to do this/know this for future survival.

Heck - I'll flat out say it - if we have destroyed our own planet to the point this is an issue of future survival, I say we have no business in space period. This is insane. How full of ourselves are we?

Let's run rampant and destroy the planet we were given as long as just in time we find a way to spread our destructive nature throughout the universe?

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I remember when I went to a sci-fi convention back in 1992, Bay-Con, where there was a panel discussing just this: sex in zero g.

I wont go into graphic details, but it was a graphic discussion. Especially about how certain bodily fluids would react in zero gravity, both outside a body and inside it.

And the fact that rough sex and S&M would be very difficult, if not impossible in deep space.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I don't think that reproduction would be the problem, unless I'm missing something. Here on earth, we've reduced the necessary machinery to a turkey baster. It couldn't be much different in space, since motility is more important than gravity.

Never mind. I got to the gestational portion, but I have to ask if anyone is really thinking about spending a lifetime in zero g? The whole idea of going into space is to go somewhere. Precluding pregnancy at zero g shouldn't put too much of a crimp in those plans.

[edit on 2006/7/25 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Where there's a will, there's a way. lol

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless

This is insane. How full of ourselves are we?

Let's run rampant and destroy the planet we were given as long as just in time we find a way to spread our destructive nature throughout the universe?

Insane or not, these are real plans and considerations.

Did you check out any of the links? Like the bioneers one, for example?

You raise important questions, IMO.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   
The Day the goverment lets any civilian object hover in outer space in view of UFO phenomena will be the day I become a millionaire.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revelmonk
The Day the goverment lets any civilian object hover in outer space in view of UFO phenomena will be the day I become a millionaire.

???

Seems to be well on the road, if not happening already.

The groundwork is laid - and mining consortiums already are marketing space life to school kids...

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Is this what you're speaking of? Do you have stock in this company? These folks are pretty serious about putting civilians in space, if that's what you're refering to.

www.space.com...

[edit on 2006/7/25 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   

You're on! I'll pass it along...

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Where is a will is will be a way.

It will be reproduction is 0 gravity I have not doubt about it . . . like Grady said the turkey baster would prove to be a very good item.

If you know how to use it I mean.

Already private companies are selling tickets to outer space so I see this coming sooner than many think.

Occurs it will be the very rich the first ones to do the deed.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Occurs it will be the very rich the first ones to do the deed.

Nah. They'll set up a mining colony on an asteroid, pay double oil rig wages - and let peons work out the messy details.

Without death benefits.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 02:55 AM
link   
It will be the next race of which country can reproduce in space first!!!!

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 06:15 AM
link   
After mulling over this for a while I think it will remain only a novelty. A decade in a new enviroment like space isn't enough to change millions upon millions of years of evolution.

Just like the salmon we will always come home to spawn.

Dae

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matyas
Just like the salmon we will always come home to spawn.

Apparently we will have to come home to gestate and spawn, seems like gravity plays a huge role in our body growth and functioning. It said that taking 'the pill' in 0 gravity isnt as effective as on earth as gravity plays a part in the absorbtion factor!

"We still do not have an inkling of what the 'gravity prescription' is," he said. "Think of gravity as a medication. We don't know the dose, we don't know the frequency, and we don't know the side effects."

Who else thinks we should know alot more than we supposedly do about humans in space?

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dae
Who else thinks we should know alot more than we supposedly do about humans in space?

This is indisputable, but as long as mankind has the means, there will be continued space exploration. They aren't putting that space station up there as a rest stop for ET.

[edit on 2006/7/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   
It would be reasonable to assume that by the time we've developed the capabilities to travel regularly to planets in other solar systems, we will also have developed "hypersleep" or "human hibernation". On long-term occupancy space stations, we will likely use artificial gravity via the simple but effective centrifugal effect, a la 2001: Space Odyssey, and conceivably will invent localized artificial gravity some time in the future beyond that.

Zero-G sex will be a non-issue, except perhaps by choice.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   

The first spaceport built on private land with private money is set to get the necessary licenses for flight tests by this fall.

Private spaceport faces smooth sailing

Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos' plans to build a suborbital spaceport on his West Texas ranch appear to be on the fast track, after receiving a positive reception Tuesday at a hearing held in the closest town.

About 40 people attended the Federal Aviation Administration's hearing on the environmental assessment for Bezos' venture, known as Blue Origin, and nary a discouraging word was heard. Based on the FAA's timetable, Blue Origin could receive the necessary licenses for flight tests by this fall.

FAA approval would mark a significant step in Blue Origin's plan to put passengers on suborbital spaceflights starting in 2010. The 18,600-acre proposed launch site — set within a 165,000-acre ranch that lies 20 miles (32 kilometers) north of Van Horn — would be the first spaceport built on private land with private money.

IMO - the real target market is NOT tourism - it's asteroid mining.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

IMO - the real target market is NOT tourism - it's asteroid mining.

This is funny . . . just like the science fiction movies, the proliferation of human kind in space will be for profit seeking first.

I wonder if Haliburton has the rights already on mining with not bid contracts.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Gee does this mean I can join the 100 mile high club.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join