It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does one become an FSME?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Just curious to know how different members have become FSME's? Is it after a certain amount of Applauses is one forum? The mod's of a forum decide?

For those not sure,

FSME = Forum Subject Matter Expert

Just curious.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   
As far as I can tell you really just have to be a know it all in that particular forum. It probably helps a lot of if you actually have a degree or a job in that area of knowledge.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Yeah I am sure the members posts are the single determining factor in the decision.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Be extremely active in the forum you wish to be a FSME in, and churn out some uber threads consistantly.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I know for the Aviation Forum, Intelgurl works with UAVs and has for years, so she's more than qualified to know what's going on.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Alternatively, you can stuff a large envelope with large bills (US or Euros no Canadian
) and send it to the Forum Moderator(s) or a SuperMod.

I have heard that massive quantities of alcoholic beverages work, too.

Or if you want to do it more ethically, just be a good member, and know your stuff.

btw - I thought you were interested in getting on the council. I remember you asking about the next council elections, I think.

Then again, maybe it's the same as with mods, don't ask about it. They will come to you.

my 2 cents.

you may have to give me some change back for that, though. lol

[edit on 7/25/2006 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I would say that a good way to become an FSME would be to make your wishes known to a Super Mod. They are listed on the main page. Click on a name to send a U2U.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I don't think that's such a good idea. FSMEs are handpicked. Making your wishes known is not the way imho

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Sorry. I knew that was verboten for mods, but I didn't make the connection.

[edit on 2006/7/24 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I had no intentions of striving to become an FSME, I was just curious how members became them. It was something I never came across and was unclear.

By finding out here how to become one, Im sure in the future I can answer the question for someone else.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 03:19 PM
link   
You are asked by a Super Mod, like Kano (not sure if he is still around these days)

Excellent knownledge of the subject matter is required too

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I would say that a good way to become an FSME would be to make your wishes known to a Super Mod. They are listed on the main page. Click on a name to send a U2U.

Right on, GradyP.

You gotta pucker up and kiss it and stroke it.

Hmm...you know, it's actually much the same way as politicans in Washington do it. Washington? Bush Administration? Lizards?? Oh man! This site must be crawling with them! The FSME are actually....'them'.

p.s. if i don't reply in an hour call the authorities. on second thought, don't!

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Actually, I was implying that it was like applying for a job or letting the boss know that you're interested in that supervisory position that just opened up. Of course, I was dead wrong, but that's what I had in mind.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
A Matter Of Subject

For the record, Grady didn't call me, I called Grady. In case anyone was wondering.

How to become a FSME depends heavily on what forum is involved.

On ATS, the selection process takes a while and is reviewed by all sorts of people. ATS FSMEs are the “classic” FSMEs, and are indeed expected to be very knowledgeable about the topics covered in their forums.

On PTS, I'm aiming for something similar, but different, because the subject matter is different. In politics, everybody's an expert.

The Amigos gave me the authority to choose PTS FSMEs myself, and -- being me -- I took full advantage of that.

In consultation with my fellow moderators -- members who specialize in reading threads, following discussions and generally keeping an eye on things -- I asked for and received several recommendations.

Based on those recommendations, I sent offers via U2U, and thus the first PTS FSME cadre in history was born.

Making The Cut

It's worth noting that in selecting PTS FSMEs, I grabbed as many moderators as I could.

That was quite deliberate and I make no apologies for doing so, because I am looking for the best members I can get for these positions, and some of our best members are mods.

Having worked with them “under fire”, seen how they work with other members and seen how they handle themselves overall, I'd be nuts to not want to grab them for such important positions, because on PTS, FSMEs aren't just an enhancement to an already successful forum, they are the driving force for breathing life into forums that have been struggling.

FSMEs with moderator powers are a combination I can't refuse. They can work miracles.

But in addition to mods, there are members whom I think exemplify the traits I want in “forum hosts” for PTS.

They don't have to be experts on politics. Rather, I want them to be experts on discussing politics, I want them to learn “on the job”, and I want them to make their forums as stimulating, interesting and inviting to members as possible.

These are the considerations which have guided my decisions.

The Spoils System

Of course I anticipated that in any subjective, dictatorial process like this that there would be allegations of “nepotism”, “favoritism”, “cliques” or whatever, and that's fine.

This is ATS, after all, and we are encouraged to be skeptics.

Frankly, however, I don't care if my motives are impugned, because I just want to get PTS rockin' ASAP, and the PTS FSMEs are the people I'm counting on to make that happen.

All of them were invited to be PTS FSMEs by me personally, and that's how FSMEs are selected on PTS. Asking me really won't change much, because when considering potential PTS FSMEs, I look at what they've already posted, how they handle themselves as members, and whether I think they would be suited to the job.

Interest alone isn't enough. I want the best I can get.

That said, I urge all members who are not selected for a FSME position to avoid feeling like that's a slight on you. It most definitely is not. There are a lot of excellent members on ATS/PTS/BTS/ATSNN whom I have not and will not approach for a FSME position.

Nonetheless, you stand out as excellent members, and I know it.

But if you should ever chance to receive an “I Want YOU!” message from me, it will be for one reason, and one reason only.

Because I consider you the best member for the job.

Period.

(So there's my big secret.)

new topics

top topics

join