It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU mulls stem cell research ban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Ministers from the 25 European Union countries are meeting in Brussels to decide whether to halt EU funding for research on human embryonic stem cells.

Some countries oppose the research, but scientists say the cells are the key to treating diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

Last week US President George W Bush used his veto for the first time to limit federal funding for the research.

If EU ministers follow suit, some studies could run out of funds in 2007.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Some countries, in the EU, who are against stem cell research are strongly influenced by Roman Catholic teaching. Other religious groups and sects across Europe are also getting very vocal over this matter.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 05:49 AM
link   

EU to fund embryo cell research
Ministers from European Union member states have agreed to continue funding research on embryonic stem cells.

Some countries oppose the research, but scientists say the cells are the key to treating diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

Last week US President George W Bush used his veto for the first time to limit federal funding for the research.

The EU ministers agreed not to fund activities that destroyed human embryos but said other research could continue.

A partial victory for stem cell research, ministers have decided to continue the funding for stem cell research but not to fund research that results in the destruction of human embroyos.

I'm far from an expert on the subject of stem cells, but from my base understanding of the issue I agree that stem cells can be a massive boon to humanity and Governments and international groups should do their best to fund the science.

new topics

join