It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea on Wartime Alert

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
North Korea has put its armed forces on a state of alert since it test-fired missiles two weeks ago, but today reports are coming out that North Korea issued a wartime alert, its highest order of mobilization for its armed forces, equipment and civilians short of war. North Korea has issued two such alerts before, one in 1993 amid standoffs with the US over is missile and nuclear projects and one in 1998 however this one was related to a large scale military exercise.

www.spacewar.com
North Korea has launched a wartime alert, putting its armed forces and nationals in a state of a war mobilization, an unconfirmed news report said here Wednesday.

Government officials were unable to be reached for confirmation early Wednesday.

North Korean soldiers on leave were told to return to their barracks, camouflage nettings were being draped on military vehicles and weapons, and people were prohibited from entering the countryside, the source said.

The alert was not issued publicly but spread quietly through military and civilian emergency networks, the daily said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Tensions are already high in the region following North Korea’s missile tests now after the UN resolution placing sanction on North Korea it issues a wartime alert. This added to the fact that Japan has expressed interest and concerns over a possible pre-emptive strike on North Korea make this a very dangerous situation. I hope North Korea is issuing this alert for a show of force or for an exercise and not for another missile launch. The US aircraft carrier USS Enterprise arrived in South Korea yesterday so Kim could be feeling the squeeze, hence the alert.

Related News Links:
www.spacewar.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
U.N. Votes to Condemn N. Korea
Japan Threatens Pre-emptive Strike!
Japanese Sanctions Will Bring Disastrous Response States N.K. Official.
North Korea Reportedly Launches 4 Missiles

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   
POOR N.KOREA.... THEY ARE NOT GONNA LEARN... THOSE PEOPLE NEED TO GET THIS GUY OUT OF OFFICE SOMEHOW... JUST WAITING FOR SOMETHING TO HAPPEN

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
clearly little kimmy thinks while the world is dealing with muslium terrorists, he can run amuck.

More of his ,"pay attention to mee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or i will stop my feet and be a bad little tin pot dictator.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   
The only thing I can think of is that North Korea is trying to remain relevant and in the news, with the recent turmoil in the ME they lost the lime light and any influence that they may have gained from it. This could backfire on them though; I don’t know how much longer Japan and other nations will tolerate North Korean threats before serious and consequential action is taken.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
The only thing I can think of is that North Korea is trying to remain relevant and in the news, with the recent turmoil in the ME they lost the lime light and any influence that they may have gained from it.

The leader wants attention just like in the past and they normally can get it unless you have a big conflict unfolding like now. NK is doomed with problems anyway with the starving and a bad economy....

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   

The only thing I can think of is that North Korea is trying to remain relevant and in the news, with the recent turmoil in the ME they lost the lime light and any influence that they may have gained from it. This could backfire on them though; I don’t know how much longer Japan and other nations will tolerate North Korean threats before serious and consequential action is taken.

What can they honestly do to North Korea?

Invasion? U.N. Sanctions? Seriously what can they do?

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Sanctions are really hurting North Korea, this is the reason they threw their little tantrum, notice how they demanded that the US imposed sanctions be dropped before they resumed 6 party talks. Long term the way to defeat North Korea is by gradually starving it of money and supplies, if it wasn’t for their illegal arms market, energy supplies from China and food supplies from the rest of the world North Korea would cease to exist. So as bad as the situation is for the North Koreas it could always be worse.

[edit on 19-7-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Sanctions are really hurting North Korea,

No, they're not hurting Kim. They're hurting the people. Look at Iraq with Saddam, he was still living like a King. It is the same here.

So what is this "serious and consequential action" then?

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
There are several of course, some more realistic than the others. My reason for including "consequential" was because the recent UN resolution against North Korea is nothing but a show piece, all it basically states is that no country can transfer arms and technology to North Korea, that isn't taking place anyway as most of their projects are "home grown", and if it is taking place its done "under the table" so this resolution will have no impact on it. What can have an impact though is the stoppage of US-ROK aid to North Korea and a cutoff of their virtually free energy supplies from China. The latter is highly unlikely but a possibility nonetheless, then there's Japan which recently began discussing a Pre-Emptive strike, again unlikely but if push come to shove... In all scenarios however it is the people who will suffer the most, Kim personally wont but the people can only take so much. Just a decade ago they were told to eat grass and bark off trees as North Korea was in a humanitarian crises with supply and food shortages, it was the WORLD that bailed it out, I can only imagine the consequence for Kim and North Korea if that happened again for months, and even years on end.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Here is an old, but interesting, article on likely methods the North Koreans would use to invade the south.

www.kimsoft.com...

Korean People's Army

ARMED FORCES:

Total Regular 1,128,000. Reserves 4,700,000. Terms of service - Army 5-8 years; Navy 5-10 years; Air Force 3-4 years, followed by compulsory part-time service to age 40. Thereafter service in the Workers/Peasant Red Guard to age 60.

Army - 1,000,000 troops, with some 3,400 main battle tanks, 540 light tanks, 2,200 armored personnel carriers.

Navy - 46,000 sailors, with about 413 ships including 25 submarines, three frigates, 42 missile craft, 198 torpedo craft.

Air Force - 82,000 men, including 509 combat aircraft, including 35 Su-25s, 40 MiG-29s, 46 MiG-23 and 130 MiG-19s.

Paramilitary - 115,000 security troops, including border guards.

Forces Abroad - Advisers in some 12 African countries.

Defense spending - $5.6 billion in 1994, against $5.3 billion in 1993.

Pretty interesting, though I'm sure some of this has changed to reflect current military stats.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   
What if N K has a alliance with Iran, NK attacks the south while Iran attacks Israel. Perfect situation there isnt it? America would rush troops to protect not only the south but the thousands of their own men on the border. We will rush troops to Iraq to reinforce our fight against Syria and Iran and whoever else would join them. If this was anyone BUT Kim then I would say that is possible, but Kim is a nut and it is hard to tell when he is being serious.

top topics

join