It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New flashing banners and loud audio banners are bumming me out.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Hey guys I know the bills got to be paid and these do allow me to freely come here but the Flashing Red Blue Black whatever banner is the worst ad Ive Ever encountered but the most annoying came today when I tripped that loud audio Chili Peppers add. Im just not pleased with the forms of grabbing advertisement being pushed lately. How about some less active but just as influential advertising. Frankly the above razzle and dazzle on some actually turn me off to their products. Im sure others would agree. Thanks mods for hearing my rant on this and also I understand paid advertising is key to your sucess.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I like the ads, it makes my computer more lively and colorful, better than being a dreaded gray all over. But thats my opinion.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Hey VType, which web browser do you use? If you use Mozilla Firefox you can get an extension called "Adblock" that allows you to filter out ads. It's pretty nifty.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
It's also against the T&C. You agreed not to use popup blockers, or adblockers when you're on ATS, because that's how they make their money.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Is that why my eyes roll back into my sockets every few minutes and i feel faint?

I thought i was having some kind of seizure or something.

But i have 795 applications for the plasma tv's and i expect one any day now. That will make up for the seizures

SM

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
So that's where the music is coming from.
I thought it was my computer since I just got that song not long ago.

[edit on 10-7-2006 by SM]

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   
And dont forget the shocker: " Awww my Gawwwwwd" somebody shoot that smiley! That one will give me a heart attack anyday now.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

And dont forget the shocker: " Awww my Gawwwwwd" somebody shoot that smiley! That one will give me a heart attack anyday now.

Oh yeah that one gets me all the time also. Its like tripping a mine wire on those banner ad's. Im all for them but those flashing ones are giving me ulcers when looking for too long. Sorry but true. Luckily the Refresh button usually brings a less violating add.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Bright Lights And Loud Sounds

We do ask that members not use adblockers on ATS, though I very much understand the sentiment.

Ads suck, but they still beat getting shaken down for donations or -- God forbid -- subscription fees every time you log in. So I see enduring the ads as "paying my dues" for using the forums.

ATS is expensive to keep running, and the ads help keep the lights on around here.

As for the obnoxious ads, I agree that there are limits to what we should tolerate -- especially when my nice soothing music is interrupted by talking clowns, talking smileys, keyboard clicky sounds I'm not making or even a cool hip-hop riff or two.

SkepticOverlord has been very accommodating of member requests to remove the most irritating ads -- after all, he has to put up with them too.

A similar thread involving pop-ups and "page hog" ads discusses the best way to report annoying ads:

Ads popping up over thread?

Members who want to find out more about how to report these sorts of nuisances may want to check that thread out.

[edit on 7/10/2006 by Majic]

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I'm not complaining, Magic. Dark glasses and shutting the speakers off works well.

Thanks for the advice.

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Whoa, I'm going to have to go re-read the t.o.s. I must have missed that part. Oh well, good thing i'm not epileptic!

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 01:07 AM
link   
yeah ad blockers are illegal in ats. You guys shouldnt complain, you werent here when...the clown was here.

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 01:49 AM
link   
the sound ones only go off when your mouse goes over it (I believe), so just try and keep that in mind and spare your ears a little

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 01:57 AM
link   
What? There are banners with loud sounds? I don't get those! Now I feel all left out. All I get are those with semi-naked ladies and “100 % free click here” banners...

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I dont get any ads. Firefox and live in aust are perhaps the culprits of this unforgivable sin?

Anyways, I didnt know adblockers were disallowed. So I went to check it out, and the link to Terms & Conditions at bottom of main page does not link to the T&C's, incase and admins wanted to know . . .

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Does anyone remember the "Clown" ad? The loud, evil laughing Clown ad, that

haunted and scared the crap out of many ATS users late at night a couple of

months back? It was horrifiying especially when you left the volume way up, you'd

be deeply involved in reading an artical not a sound in the house then

all of a sudden "AhhHaaahahaHa AhhHaaahahaHa AhhHaaahahaHa".

I almost had a heart attack everytime it appered.

After that Ad, I have been battle hardened, so it will take more than flashing to

freak me out.

new topics

top topics

join