It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War between China and US not probable, but inevitable!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
There is a new book has recently been released titled, Showdown: Why China wants war with the US. I was listening to the author, Jed Babbin, who is the former undersecretary of defense(under which administration I didnt tune in in time to hear) give an interview on a local talk radio station here in Charlotte. He says that war with China is inevitable. I just ordered the book on ebay and hopefully will be able to read it shortly to give you all a summary of the authors thoughts. There has been a podcast interview this past friday with the author but I cant find a link that will work for some reason. I can get this interview linked here next week when it gets posted as a podcast on the local radio stations website.

I found the interview very interesting and if I can get it posted here I think you too will find it interesting as well. Until then, those of you who go pick up this book and read it post your thoughts, and when I get dont I too will do the same.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
War with your largest trading partner?

Theres a reason why that doesn't happen very often if ever in history. Plain and simple its not good business practice.

Any such war would be horrible for each country and the loses would out weigh any gains you could get from such a war by many fold. But both side needs a strong enemy (real or imagined) to keep those military dollars rolling in.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

Theres a reason why that doesn't happen very often if ever in history. Plain and simple its not good business practice.

Any such war would be horrible for each country and the loses would out weigh any gains you could get from such a war by many fold. But both side needs a strong enemy (real or imagined) to keep those military dollars rolling in.

Ill wait and see what the book says first before I come to a decision. From what I understand, this guy does know what hes talking about. Remember though, politics dont use the same reason we do. Politics is about getting what you want while making as little concessions as possible. So in that sense war with your biggest trading partner is possible. Check out the book. You can get it on ebay or amazon for discount rates.

[edit on 7/5/2006 by ludaChris]

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   
It's just warmongering to make accept people to new wars. Or more suppression of there rights to save them from bad China.

War is not inevitable, but for this, we have to act against this administration and all those who will be warmongerers.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludaChris
Ill wait and see what the book says first before I come to a decision. From what I understand, this guy does know what hes talking about

I can tell this guy knows how to sell books.

Whats going to sell more books A inevitable war between China and Russia or a growing economic partnership?

If war wasnt inevitable between the USSR and the US its not between China and the US. Really theres likely a better chance of China going to war with resource rich Russia then the US. They share a land border and have never trusted each other the Soviets had more then a few nukes on the border pointed at China when they were suppose to "comrads''.

Nixen showed the Chinese all the US intel about this nuclear weapon numbers, equipment, troop levels etc.. when he went to China for his famous visit. The Russians were then faced with the possiblity that the US had more Soviets on their side then the Russians did

That brought the Russians to the bargaining table with the quickness after they refused to talk for years before that.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I disagree entirely.

China (or more correctly), the Eastern seaboard of China, is getting rich.

Wealth = Things (like TV's, DVD's, fashionable clothes, Western values, European cars, and a new generation of kids brought up on hip hop, video games, and low slung baggy jeans).

There might be a trade war - but not war.

The threat of war would only serve incit an internal rebellion amongst the rising middle class, the likes of which would cripple the financial base of the New China economy.

Just look at the kids learning english overseas - once they get their hands on an uprated Nissan Skyline, Mitsubishi Evo, or even an old school Mazda - their views of freedom develop to such a degree that very few of them want to go back.

War - it won't happen. It might happen if the Communist Party feels it s losing the power of persuasion amongst the people and they do an Chinese version of Northwoods.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Gunter

There might be a trade war - but not war.

That I could really see in the future with China theres already a type of one going on now with China's pegging of its currency

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   
china learns from the soviet mistakes. now while the soviets starved there people and economy with a military and nuclear and space race with the US, the chinese would rather build themselves up in economics, and maybe start an economical race that would help the economy rather than starve it. or maybe not do anything..

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Interesting trying to beat the US at its own game with the Soviets. Winning a war without direct fighting is the best victory there is and you can get rich doing it.

Very interesting

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 04:10 AM
link   
So youre telling me all this military gearing up China is doing is for nothing. They are developing at a rate not seen since Nazi Germany before WW2. They are shrinking their forces and investing in more technology. THey are building their forces to counter our own, not just to compete.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Less a nuclear exchange, God bless all, the USA can clean'm up in all ways except military personal numbers.
Therefor, I feel a neutron device would have to be used at the get-go of any committed military confrontation. Sort of get them before they get you. And neutron WMD can be area limited and without super fall-out aftermath.

Dallas

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   

You do realize that Russia still recieved much of its wheat and many other nececities from the US and other NATO allies during the Cold War, and that could have escalated quickly if the situation went sour. We traded with our biggest rival during the Cold War. China isnt worried about having the US there forever, they US gives them their largest source of income but this is only really needed during their gearing up period. If you havent noticed China is building up quite the trade surplus, gaining hard currency. Think about it, they are using the US to fund their military expansion, when they get to where they want to get they wont hesitate to do whatever they can to eliminate US influence not only in thier region but the world as a whole. They are striving for sole superpower status in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ludaChris

You do realize that Russia still recieved much of its wheat and many other nececities from the US and other NATO allies during the Cold War, and that could have escalated quickly if the situation went sour. We traded with our biggest rival during the Cold War. China isnt worried about having the US there forever, they US gives them their largest source of income but this is only really needed during their gearing up period. If you havent noticed China is building up quite the trade surplus, gaining hard currency. Think about it, they are using the US to fund their military expansion, when they get to where they want to get they wont hesitate to do whatever they can to eliminate US influence not only in thier region but the world as a whole. They are striving for sole superpower status in my opinion.

That may be so, but you also must understand that China's economy is dependent on economic growth and foreign investments. If, say, America created an economic community in Africa, corporations would go there, especially if the government started putting tariffs on Chinese products. And the Chinese would be pissed and SOL

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 02:57 AM
link   
But North Korea could make some type of misstep that draws both the United States and China into a fight and let's not forget Taiwan.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 02:57 AM
link   
It gets to a point where war is not able to be won by either side, therefore making it pointless because your losses will be the same as theirs. eg. USA, Russia and China.

War with China and the USA will not happen. War between US puppets and Chinese puppets is a huge possibility though.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by shanemcbain
It gets to a point where war is not able to be won by either side, therefore making it pointless because your losses will be the same as theirs. eg. USA, Russia and China.

War with China and the USA will not happen. War between US puppets and Chinese puppets is a huge possibility though.

Not necessarily so. I just recieved the book I spoke of in my opening post, and I must say it is very intersting indeed. There are many things we do not know about Chinese MIlitary modernization. ANd there are many indicators those on this thread either dont see or dont want to see. Such as Chinas increased interest in power projection, anti-sattelite weapons(which is the mainstay of the US Military), anti-ship weapons and weapon platforms, Computer Warfare; which is taught now in Chinas electronic warfare school. The list goes on and on. To those of you who havent heard of this book, I would advise you to check it out and read it before discounting what these two men have to say. They have practical experience in the matter and I feel what they say shouldnt be taken lightly.

top topics

join