It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Africas Roswell?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I found this courtesy the UFO Updates List-

tinyurl.co.uk...

South Africa's own Roswell
On May 7, 1989, Louw told the Saturday Star newspaper, the South
African Airforce shot down a UFO travelling at a speed of around
5,746 nautical miles in the skies over the Kalahari Desert near
the country's border with Botswana.

When intelligence officers arrived at the site where the object
had crashed, they found a large craft that emitted a strong
magnetic and radio field in a 12 metre deep crater with a
diameter of 150 metres, the newspaper reported, quoting him.

Two 'humanoid entities' were found inside the UFO - or what non-
ufologists would call a 'flying saucer,' according to Louw.

'They apparently had greyish-blue skins and no body or facial
hair,' he told the newspaper adding: 'Their heads were much
larger than a human's, their necks exceptionally thin and their
hands had only three digits, which were webbed.'

Cristo Louw made these remarks at a recent conference there. I found his site-
www.geocities.com...
Which is the home for his South African UFO Resource (SAFOUR) organisation.
I haven't done much checking into it yet but I have found him to be a fan of Jeff Challender and (groan)Elizabeth Klarer. She's another of those supposed contactees who have regular conversations with ET.
And he lists another possible crash retrieval in 1995.
I'm gonna do a bit more digging and if anyone comes across anything helpful I'd appreciate the input.
Oh and a word of warning- his website is a tad unwieldy.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I found a couple of sites that list this crash as containing bodies and their being transfered to Wright-Patterson. But they don't provide any specifics.
This site however does-
www.burlingtonnews.net...

The top-secret document indicated that the passage of the object and creatures would be implemented on the 23rd of June, 1989 to Wright Patterson AFB. Actually, sources DO indicate that Wright Patterson DID IN FACT GO ON RED ALERT on that date. Subsequent documents supplied by the Intelligence source to Q.I. indicate that the creatures seemed to have a strong connection with the SAURIAN race which existed in ancient times.

So I checked a few more and found this-
cooltech.iafrica.com...

We would never have known about this case if an Air Force Intelligence officer hadn't come forward with the story. His credibility has since been found to be very dubious, however through diligent research many aspects of the case were substantiated. The cherry on top here was (apparently) that South Africa received nuclear weapons in exchange for what was recovered. The level of secrecy around this case is mind-boggling.

Contained in an interview with Louw.
Curiouser and curiouser.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Take note of the date of the photos and the correlation to the story Louw tells.

www.ufoevidence.org...

Dipl.-meteorologist Elizabeth Klarer caused an international controversy with her claim of a contact with Extraterrestrials. Her book "Beyond the Light Barrier", written more in the style of a romantic novel, caused a rather sceptical response, since Klarer claimed she became pregnant after her encounter with a tall, white-haired spaceship-pilot.

No mention of the bastard child.
Also Klarer or her husband was involved in Intelligence(yeah right). Depends who's fantasy you believe.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Yes I have posted on this several times in the past, especially with reference to the 'alien interview' which surfaced frm around the same time. I know that sounds fantastic, perhaps fantasy, but the parallels are interesting. I provide several details on this 'South African Roswell' (including viewable downloadable official documents from the South African Air Force detailing the incident you speak of in shattering vivid detail). There's no way these documents can be forged or fake, and the contents truly blow my mind. In my view, this really did happen - and if this really did happen, perhaps other oddities such as the alien interview, as fanciful as it may seem, also may turn out to be legit? I know, it's crazy.. but....

EDIT: Here's a link to the thread I'm talking about, with links to the SAAF report: www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 4-7-2006 by RiotComing]

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 04:57 AM
link   
The thing that stuck out for me was this bit.

Certain highly advanced technologies have been recovered from downed craft and/or in exchange programmes with extraterrestrials. Examples of this are believed to be lasers, holograms, night-vision, Velcro, microwave applications, fibre-optics, the computer integrated circuit and probably many more…

I realise this thread could be read as SA version of roswell, but is this guy refering to crashes in SA?
Because obvioulsy that remark is ripped right off Corso, ad the Roswell incident.

The cherry on top here was (apparently) that South Africa received nuclear weapons in exchange for what was recovered. The level of secrecy around this case is mind-boggling.

Thats just scary and quite concievable.
I looked into that a bit more.

South Africa is the only country in history to build nuclear weapons in secret and then dismantle them voluntarily.

And this bit.

The payoff for Pretoria has been access to the high-tech and military markets of the industrialized countries.

Link.
www.wisconsinproject.org... ech.html

Why would they take nuclear tech only to give it all up?

Sure there must be crashes all over the world of ufo's from this world and others, i do believe, but so much disinfo out there.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Ah yes. A true South African classic. A lot of interesting material on the topic was covered in RiotComing's thread.

The case was thrown in the Hoax bin by the serious UFO researchers because of date discrepancies between SAAF reports and eyewitness and researcher reports.

As I said in RiotComing's thread:
"I was 9 year old in 1989 and clearly remember an article in a local (South African) mainstream magazine. There were pictures of the aliens (one was captured alive, and the other was dead) - showing one of them in a prison cell. I was up to date unable to locate the picture(s) and unable to find a back-issue of the magazine (You/Huisgenoot). I'm planning to go to the local public archives, but just can't find the time to get around to it."

Since then I visited the National Archives in Pretoria - they don't keep archives of the magazine in question. I wrote an email to the magazine's library, only to be ignored. Another UFO nutcase in their eyes? A dead-end none-the-less.

The story also varies between South Africa trading the (live) alien and ship for technology, weapons (including nuclear) and oil. I'll put my money on oil, seeing that we had nuclear capabilities looong before 1988/1989. Back then there were still sanctions against South Africa, but strangely enough the South African economy was booming at that time.

Interesting to see Elizabeth Klarer along with the Kalahari incident… Never heard of any prior connections.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 06:19 AM
link   

There were pictures of the aliens

That's a picture the world deserves to see, shame they ignored you??
I wonder if that's it, and we are never gonna see that picture again, pictures of actual aliens is something else.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Denied

That's a picture the world deserves to see, shame they ignored you??
I wonder if that's it, and we are never gonna see that picture again, pictures of actual aliens is something else.

I agree! As far as I can recall it was a facial or full-body picture of a typical "grey" alien. The strangest experience for me - back then and still today, is the fact that no one said anything about it. My parents didn't speak about it or anything. Or maybe it's because I was 9 at the time and no one would have a conversation about aliens with me?
Anyway - somewhere out there, there must still be several copies of the issue in somebody's basement... But as we all know, anyone that asks questions about aliens are frowned upon by their "normal" friends and family.

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Well if you happen upon a copy of the magazine please give me a shout.
I mentioned Klarer because it seems that Luow is a followerer. On the UFO Updates List someone had mentioned seeing them together at a conference. Also I was intrigued by the connection to Wright Patterson AFB.
But...........I'm gettin further away from this the more I dig. Ya dig?

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 05:23 AM
link   
i read this " story " in a brittish UFO mag -- a while ago , and switched off when i got to the claim that , to paraphrase -- " a UFO travelling @ M8+ was shot down by SAAF mirage jets armed with a laser canon "

but to address this thread -

Originally posted by Gemwolf

As I said in RiotComing's thread:
"I was 9 year old in 1989 and clearly remember an article in a local (South African) mainstream magazine. There were pictures of the aliens (one was captured alive, and the other was dead) - showing one of them in a prison cell. I was up to date unable to locate the picture(s) and unable to find a back-issue of the magazine (You/Huisgenoot). I'm planning to go to the local public archives, but just can't find the time to get around to it."

Since then I visited the National Archives in Pretoria - they don't keep archives of the magazine in question. I wrote an email to the magazine's library, only to be ignored. Another UFO nutcase in their eyes? A dead-end none-the-less.

while not meaning to question the varecity of your memory and mental faculties @ age 9 .

does it not strike you as peculiar that NO ONE but you seems to have noticed this major revalation in mainstearm media ??

i have no idea when SAUFOR was formed -- but even if it did not exist in 1980s there would have been other groups and individuals , ADULTS who would collect and keep clipings and archives -- and share them with like minded fellows

UFOology was not a new phenonemon in the late 80s , why was the story not re printed in other venues ???

you may have seen a photograph , when you were 9 -- but reccoloections mutate over time -- and the fact that only you seem to recall this version of events after 17 years , should make you question the faliability of your own memories

because the alternative is an open ended conspiracty to " surpress and destroy " all trace of the story / picture

which is most probable ??

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
while not meaning to question the varecity of your memory and mental faculties @ age 9 .

does it not strike you as peculiar that NO ONE but you seems to have noticed this major revalation in mainstearm media ??

i have no idea when SAUFOR was formed -- but even if it did not exist in 1980s there would have been other groups and individuals , ADULTS who would collect and keep clipings and archives -- and share them with like minded fellows

UFOology was not a new phenonemon in the late 80s , why was the story not re printed in other venues ???

you may have seen a photograph , when you were 9 -- but reccoloections mutate over time -- and the fact that only you seem to recall this version of events after 17 years , should make you question the faliability of your own memories

because the alternative is an open ended conspiracty to " surpress and destroy " all trace of the story / picture

which is most probable ??

Well, I can assure you that my memory does not fail me in this occasion. (Not to boast - but in order to give myself some credibility for my word - I do have photographic memory and can even recall the lay-out of the page and some of the wording.) I'm not sure why this particular memory/article stayed with me, but I'm sure it's one of the earliest cornerstones that evolved into my interest in the paranormal I have today.

Huisgenoot - the magazine in question - is one if not THE most read magazine in South Africa, so they have to cover a lot of areas from true life stories, to funnies, to gossip, to... well you get the idea. This article about the captured alien was printed near the back of the magazine - a place usually reserved for less serious articles. And this should raise all kinds of questions. They maybe printed the story as tongue-in-the-cheek in order to keep their "good name". I don't know.

The story was probably printed in more than one magazine or at least other newspapers. The source of the picture I cannot recall. I doubt that it's some kind of conspiracy where all "evidence" were hidden or destroyed to cover the lot up. I'm sure the article is available to me somewhere out there - but I have no idea where to start looking.

SAUFOR has little to no credibility IMO. It's not really a "full blown" organization or one to look up to if you're interested in UFO's. It's a handful of guys that’s interested in UFOs and spends some of their free time "researching" it. SAUFOR

Then you also have to keep in mind the culture in South Africa - especially back in the 80's. There were little to no interest in UFOs and everything in those lines was probably taken with a pinch of salt. (I think that still applies these days. South Africans do not have the same UFO fanatic culture as some of the western societies.)

All that said, please keep in mind that my post was just a sidetrack on the whole Kalahari crash. It serves only as extra info. I’m not sure why I’m put under the magnifying glass, as I have nothing to gain from lying. I guess the printed information and/or pictures would be welcomed at ATS (judging from the amount of U2Us I received), so I guess I can put in some extra effort...?

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Gemwolf- Your input is more than welcome since you reside in the country of origin. As I said if you happen upon the referenced magazine please let me know as I would be interested in purchasing a copy.

Louws appearence at the conference(which coincided with Klarers) and ensuing flap over this supposed UFO crash intrigues me. There are some aspects that don't seem to add up.

My personal opinion at this point is that it's still open.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   
The magazine I mentioned earlier (Huisgenoot) in this thread published a UFO picture in this week's issue.
Huisgenoot Article
It's all in Afrikaans, and if someone is really interested I'll translate, but to be honest they don't say much.

It's basically a description of how these 3 older guys (one an ex-policeman) sits around in the Karoo (where the UFO supposedly crashed in 1988/89) and do UFO-spotting. Apparently the Karoo is a hotspot for UFO's and according to the article UFO "traffic" is at its busiest in July. Further in the article they remind the reader of the 1989 crash... The writer was apparently unaware of the fact that his own magazine published the story with pics in the late 80's.

I'm afraid I couldn't find a bigger picture - only the one on the site. It shows a small roundish dot with the two contrails - much like the picture Ignorant_Ape posted in this thread with the difference of 2 vs four contrails, and you can actually see something... There’s supposedly tinges of yellow and red in these contrails (printed in the mag.)

The article was again printed at the back of the magazine. A place reserved for less serious articles.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   
That is very interesting Gemwolf.
And please, if possible, do put in some extra effort to retrieve those pictures.

EDIT: I'll e-mail the newspaper to see if they have any additional information.

[edit on 22-7-2006 by Phood]

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
hello fellow ATSers

Iv heard this story about the UFO encounter in south africa a couple of times.I live 10years in south africa but strangely this incident didnt appear in newspapers where i lived until a week after.I guess politics overshadowed it for a while

There were apparently more than one version of the story that was reported to the public.One article claimed that the UFO had crashed just outside the border of South Africa in Botswana in the greater west possibly in the Tishabong/Gemsbok regions.There within an hour South African armed forces (who probably just crossed the border without the Botswanan governments permission or acknowledgement.) went to investigate the UFO.

South africa had not shot the UFO although they were on high alert,instead the UFO crashed for unknown reasons (possibly radar). what followed was the immediate cover-up around the area. (which lasted under a day and not much effort was made for the area was sparsly populated anyway).The craft was immediately removed from the site and taken to a nearby SAF base in the North-west provence of South africa (some specualte the craft was taken straight to jo`berg ).As for the humanoid creature,they were said to be dead (in this version of the story) and im unsure whether they had been taken with the craft or were taken to a totally different aarea in South Africa.

The United State government soon found out of the crash (which the South African government knew) and decided to investigate themselves,they sent a small group down there and found only but pieces of what was left.They then made a deal with the SA government to had over the craft in exchange for other technology but the government had either refused or gave only a fraction of what was found.What happend to the craft was not said.There could be atleast 4 other versions of the story.

UFO sightings and close encounters in South Africa is nothing new.Since the 1960`s these has been a significant trend of sightings within South africa alone.This could be due to its prior nuclear power.It is also a global middle power.Middle powers tend to have significant UFO sightings.

[edit on 23-7-2006 by southern_Guardian]

[edit on 23-7-2006 by southern_Guardian]

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Thanks for the info s_G.
Sometimes it's hard gettin the straight dope so many miles away.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 01:42 AM
link   
@longhaircowboy,

Im not sure if this is related buy years ago i heard a South African guy on Coast 2 Coast that told a story how he transported a UFO in the South African airforce.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
What perplexes me about all the news reports covering this event is that none, or at least none that I have found, give any detailed description of the location of this crash. The South African/Botswana border is a ver very vague description as it covers about a thousand km. Does anyone know the location of this site? Seeing as I live in the general viscinity I may be compelled to take a look, as reports indicate a crater of some 150 meters, surely photographic evidence of such a crater would serve a good purpose?

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   
the is also one called the chinese roswell Link

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   
So noone was able to retrieve any pictures? Or the pictures havent surfaced?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join