It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do UK members here protect themselves?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
my house has 2 locks at least on all the doors, is fully alarmed including the garage. we have a doberman for a pet and if our alarm goes off in the middle of the night, within half a minute there would be me my rother and my dad(all over 6 foot and me and my brother both represent our county at sport and do weights as often as possible) down stairs. my dad sleeps with a walking stick by his bed and me and my brother both take composite hockey sticks(lighter and would do more damage than cricket bats). if i was attacked in my house i would use anything (hockey stick, cricket bag, kitchen kinfe, pocket knife, dumbells, barbell, or anything else that fell to hand). the only burgular ive ever caught trying to rob my house i chased down the street with my brother and dad at 2am half naked with a hockey stick.

a few months back some one tried our garage door at 2 in the morning, within 10 minutes we had 8 police round and a dogs team. the next morning we had a finger prints team round. they found the guys that did it but when they prosecuted the judge let them off witha caution despite their 49 previous convictions each.

i have never been bothered by thieves much. maybe because im 6 foot 3, 12 stone, wear a hoody (im 16) if they did bother me then they would come off worse because carry at least 1 knife with me wherever except to sixth form and am exceptionally strong and fit. maybe nows a good time to say that i am not a violent person unless i need to be and have never attacked anyone.

in the area where i live burglars dont seem to break in much while people are in. they go around at about 2am looking to see if people are home and trying garage doors and car doors

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
my house has 2 locks at least on all the doors, is fully alarmed including the garage. we have a doberman for a pet and if our alarm goes off in the middle of the night, within half a minute there would be me my rother and my dad(all over 6 foot and me and my brother both represent our county at sport and do weights as often as possible) down stairs. my dad sleeps with a walking stick by his bed and me and my brother both take composite hockey sticks(lighter and would do more damage than cricket bats). if i was attacked in my house i would use anything (hockey stick, cricket bag, kitchen kinfe, pocket knife, dumbells, barbell, or anything else that fell to hand). the only burgular ive ever caught trying to rob my house i chased down the street with my brother and dad at 2am half naked with a hockey stick.

a few months back some one tried our garage door at 2 in the morning, within 10 minutes we had 8 police round and a dogs team. the next morning we had a finger prints team round. they found the guys that did it but when they prosecuted the judge let them off witha caution despite their 49 previous convictions each.

i have never been bothered by thieves much. maybe because im 6 foot 3, 12 stone, wear a hoody (im 16) if they did bother me then they would come off worse because carry at least 1 knife with me wherever except to sixth form and am exceptionally strong and fit.

in the area where i live burglars dont seem to break in much while people are in. they go around at about 2am looking to see if people are home and trying garage doors and car doors

justin

p.s. i am not a violent person unless i need to be and have never attacked anyone.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Wow, how many people here practice Aikido!!

I taught Aikido for many years, Ive practised Kendo, and some ground fighting. When I was at school I also did a little boxing, so I dont feel too threatened when Im out. Like most people are saying here, common sense is the best weapon for self defence.
For my home I have two large hunting dogs, a live katana (but its in a box), a few bokkens (japanese wooden training sword) in stratigic places, and if all else fails theres ME!!!

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
One does believe the expression to be, "Better to be tried by twelve than carried by six."

I own a sword, bokken, knives, and a police baton. While in my country, we are permitted some firearms, the number, scope, magazine capacity are all restricted in some manner. Lord help you if you point them at another person, even if they're burgling your house. And since we live right next to the states, its not like criminals have a hard time getting guns. I don't see why citizens don't have the right to protect themselves.

The worst story I've heard so far is that a minor (A young man under 17) was arrested for possession of narcotics and when he was arrested, he was found to be in possesion of a firearm as well. He was out on probation six days later...when he went to a funeral and shot a man to death. Hooray for our screwed-up court system!

DE

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
If you actually catch a burgular in your own home and do not take him out, then you are setting yourself up for repeat visits from him as well as visits from his buddies. The presence of a stranger in your locked home shows that he is not there to invite you to an ice cream social down at the local church. In the area of the US in live in the police are tweny minutes away in the absolute best scenario. A stranger can do alot of physical and emotional damage to your loved ones in twenty minutes!!! The police may be paid to do the job, but here they take a report and go on their way. THE POLICE DO NOT PREVENT CRIMES, THEY REACT TO CRIMES AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN COMMITTED. IT IS UP TO THE CITIZENS TO PREVENT CRIME!! Killing criminals is the best crime prevention known to man.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
The UK residents who could really add something to this discussion are either dead or in jail. They are generally referred to as "victims".

Basically the British hope that the burglar/mugger/rapist will respond well to their cool demeanour, witty repartie, or commanding tone of voice. This is also known as "bending over for the soap" in prison speak.

When the local Chief Constable was asked how Tony Martin should have responded to the presence of 2 home invaders in his farmhouse late one night (he actually shot them and was jailed for it) - the Chief Constable advised that anyone in that situation should dial 999 for the police, and then start screaming. When it was pointed out to him that the farmhouse was almost 2 miles from the nearest neighbour, the nice policeman was somewhat lost for words.

The UK government has outlawed several categories of firearms, and made it difficult to obtain those which are still permitted. Air rifles and relicas are currently under scrutiny, as is the possibility of banning certain types of knives.

All this will of course make no difference, the UK has the highest levels of violence for any nation in the developed world (as per a recent UN study).

The best they can do is to hope that the nasty men don't pick on them, or that if they do, they will be satisfied with a wallet or perhaps a quick rape of their wife before leaving.

Hey, if that's the way they like it, who are we to argue. They really don't seem to be all that bothered by it.

With the greatest of respect you are talking out of your fundament.

Tony Martin is a very bad example - he used an illegally-held shotgun, did not demonstrate he was acting in self-defence, he executed that guy and tried to cover up the crime. He deserved everthing he got (and more).

There are numerous examples where UK householders have legally killed intruders and been acquitted by the courts.

Re airguns the Violent Crime Reduction bill was recently passed by the HoL - its only two impacts on airguns to slightly increase the age at which they can be used without supervision and to restrict sales to only via bona fide gun shops.

The tone of your post suggests you are outside the UK, why not restrict your posts to subjects / situations you actually know something about?

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I dont carry anything outside and Ive never needed anything.

I did have two guys try to break in once so I just picked up the thick end of a snooker cue and called the police. They never made it in but if they did, Id have whacked the 1st one through the window into next week because I was out of site in the dark.

CX

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by justin_barton3

i have never been bothered by thieves much. maybe because im 6 foot 3, 12 stone, wear a hoody

Cheers mate, that made me chuckle! See thats where i've been going wrong, i've been wearing a dressing gown when i get up to sort burgalars out at night!

CX.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeros
I'm not gonna be popular for this but I think that USAers (more than not) are incredibly paranoid too. Most Americans have guns because they need to protect themselves.................from other people with guns! In the UK there's usually a golf club or some other heavy object around like any house to fend off intruders. It is also EXTREMELY rare for anybody to get attacked in their own home here. And most are'nt going to get in a state worrying about it. On the other hand, alot of the youth over here now carry knives in the streets for protection (mostly chavs) lookin for a good old bit of stabbing
. So you're probably safer in your own home....... Infact definately safer.

I just found this thread and I really do agree with you. Many people seem to think that Americans have more liberal laws regarding protecting oneself and family, however that is mainly due to the fact that the majority of the unelightened (read: non-ATSers) live in constant fear of black thugs robbing them in the street while rapping, or Muslims whose only goal in life is to terrorise the populace.

Here in Britain, we aren't really scared. Even when we have to walk home in the wee small hours of the morning (which I did last night) there is little to no fear. For the most part, I think that while America feels the need to defend oneself at all times, we believe "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it". Brits don't walk around focussing on possible ways to throw someone whose attacking you from behind into a wall, we walk around minding our own business..

FYI, an alarm two locks and a latch protect my house. Used to be just a lock and latch but my auntie got robbed so we stepped up. No weapons or guns or gas grenades though.

As for chavs, they don't usually bother me. I'm eighteen but look about 15. I'm not very physically imposing, and ALWAYS have my MP3 player in the open and carry my phone around. The only trouble I have ever had from a chav, is eing approached by one who had a thuggish look to his eye, looked about 19 and was eyeing my MP3. Foolishly, he didn't realise he was actually standing outside my house when trying to rob me so I quipped "If you wait a minute I'll just go inside and pass you my XBox if you want." He then walked away quite quickly.
When I have to pass chavs alone, all you really need to do is avoid eye contact (cause they think it means you're gay, or looking for a fight) but at the same time look like you wouldn't go down without a vicious, bloody fight involving lots of ball busting

[edit on 29/6/06 by JackofBlades]

CX

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Communication_Burger
Why can't I have a petrol bomb?

If you have to ask that, then my comment about mental stabilty stands firm! Don't get me wrong, i'm not having a go, i just find it amazing, almost humourous in fact that you have petrol bombs whilst also adhering strictly to the airgun power laws lol.

CX.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

Why can't I have a petrol bomb?

If you have to ask that, then my comment about mental stabilty stands firm!
CX.

Why?

Originally posted by CX
Don't get me wrong, i'm not having a go, i just find it amazing, almost humourous in fact that you have petrol bombs whilst also adhering strictly to the airgun power laws lol.

If I could get something else, like a fully automatic AK-47, I would, illegal or not. Anything will do. # this country. I'm thinking about heading out to the states, I could find something out there, I'm sure of it.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   

At the moment, I protect myself with a 28 shot Gas Pistol, a machete, an axe, and an assortment of blunt instruments, and objects, for smashing skulls inward. I have several improvised petroleum bombs stored to disperse any crowd that may gather upon my place of residence. I could light these, I thought, and throw them out the window. I also keep several Gas rifles, and a powerful spring air rifle (as powerful as the law here allows), whilst trying to obtain a real firearms license (not easy in this country), so I can get something with a little more stopping power. The Air and Gas blasters will damage someone in quite a bad way, if they have to, but they are hardly substitutes for a real blaster, are they?

Hmm you have petrol bombs in your house - apparently - which is a terrorism offence and you think they'll give you an FAC?

I'll say it again FAC is relatively easy to get in the UK if you're not a nutter and have a genuine need - self defence / survival fantasies don't count.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Strangerous

Hmm you have petrol bombs in your house - apparently - which is a terrorism offence and you think they'll give you an FAC?

Oh, here we go. Now I'm a Terrorist. Maybe you should report me to Crimestoppers. I'm not a Terrorist, or Criminal; I have no intention of burning anyone, or anything. I do have one or two lying about though, and I would throw one out of the window of my home if I were ever being attacked here by a crowd of invaders, for whatever reason. I used to go into the middle of nowhere when I was younger and throw these things about. I have never hurt anyone, or caused any damage to any property, and I don't intend to.

Originally posted by Strangerous
I'll say it again FAC is relatively easy to get in the UK if you're not a nutter and have a genuine need - self defence / survival fantasies don't count.

Self defence isn't a genuine need? Licences are not easy to get, either, and there are massive restrictions on which types of weapon you can possess. You have to keep the damned things in a locked steel Cabinet, and store the Ammunition seperately. I'm pretty sure you have to be a farmer, or a member of a shooting club, or something, to even apply for one of the licences.

Too many obstacles.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by G_man
You all remember a few years ago when the old farmer pulled his shotgun on the guy who was breaking into his farm (for the 28th time i believe), shot him and promptly got tried and sent to jail!!!

Ummm.. he shot a fleeing man in the back, dead!

If the burglar was in his house, fair enough, but that case was cold-blooded murder. Bad example.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by DodgeG1
Funny enough we actually let the police protect us as that's what they are paid to do

And yet a recent study has shown that a UK citizen is 700% more likely to be assaulted than an american.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kurokage

I taught Aikido for many years, Ive practised Kendo, and some ground fighting. When I was at school I also did a little boxing, so I dont feel too threatened when Im out. Like most people are saying here, common sense is the best weapon for self defence.

Three years boxing,undefeated
Kendo too
Fantastic art too but had too quit cos we trained in a crappy old scout hut n I kept getting splinters in my feet which stopped me from running/training
Aikido

My gf teaches me some of her moves from brazilian/Gracie Ju Jitsu
Her dad also teaches police unnarmed combat

Stacks of martial art training videos

I learned aikido after watching Stevan segals demonstration and how he almost never had to move more than two foot and guys were flying all over the place

After slogging it out hundreds of rounds I decided there has to be a lazier way to do it

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Having lived in England, back in the late 70s, nearby a little place called Finchingfield ... I am a confirmed fan of things British, Welsh, Scot, and yeah... Even Irish.
(No offense intended to the Irish, at all), with the possible exception of Princess Margaret.

I had a bit of contact with a few military blokes, taught a style of fighting called Kenpo to civilians, MOD, American military and the like, jammed with the musos often enough when staying with friends down in South End on Sea. I wanted to get married to a different lovely "English Lass", at least 5 times a day while I lived there. And I was sorely sad to have to leave when my tour of duty was up.

These stories that some of you are posting that show the British wit, wisdom, and humor, make me long for a return visit. There is something to be said for British wit, wisdom and humor. For instance, I am reminded of a story of a fellow who was in the SAS. He was visiting Florida, a number of years back, when car-jacking was the rage down there. He and his wife were accosted by a couple of would be car thieves. When they attacked, as I remember, he killed, at least one of them with his bare hands. When asked why he did it, he replied, "They weren't going to ruin my vacation"...

Thanks for reminding me that my particular belief on self defense, and ownership of firearms, isn't the only valid perspective. However, I'd still like a list of rules for Cricket that makes sense.

And to answer a question that was previously overlooked in this thread... If my old memory serves me well, a stone is equivalent to 14 pounds.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by glastonaut

Originally posted by G_man
You all remember a few years ago when the old farmer pulled his shotgun on the guy who was breaking into his farm (for the 28th time i believe), shot him and promptly got tried and sent to jail!!!

Ummm.. he shot a fleeing man in the back, dead!

If the burglar was in his house, fair enough, but that case was cold-blooded murder. Bad example.

Well, the guy had still broken into his house repeatedly. Would that not cheese you off enough to shoot him? As i mentioned earlier, if someone has broken into your house then they should be fair game.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 04:15 AM
link   
OK I,m ashamed of this as it was I was young--ish and angry

I was driving down my parents road and a group of the ''local hard boys'' ,about 7 of them, were blocking off the centre of the road..After sounding the horn they refused to move still and made some gestures.

I proceeded to step out my car. Grab the largest of them and whacked his head on the bonnet of my car and said

''Just so you know how it,s gonna feel when I back up my car and run you down''

They moved!!!!

I do NOT recommend this kind of anti-social behaviour though. judge every case on it,s merits

ASK THE GUY ABOVE ME!!!

we Geordies are known as the friendliest in the world

[edit on 30-6-2006 by AGENT_T]

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I'm not a fan of violence, but if resolving conflict through civil ways (talking) doesn't work, then I'm afraid the bugger(s) will meet my two friends, Mr. Tyson and Mr. Lewis, comprendé?

I used to have a golf club in my room, but I snapped it.
I also have beefed myself up somewhat (in other words, spent the last few years lifting weights), so instead of being scrawny and I'm err... less scrawny.
I was walking through the town center late one night, a group of 'chavs' were walking in my direction, thinking they were big and clever, one of them grabbed (or tried to) my chest and shouted, "Effing hell, maaaaaaate! I ain't messing with you!"

When I'm out, I walk upright, shoulders back and looking straight ahead of me, not huddled up like a little girl. Kinda gives the impression that I'm a right meat head.
(I'm not really
)

Edit:
To the person that wrote "chav beating" as a tag: LOL!!

[edit on 30-6-2006 by xeroxed88]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join