It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do UK members here protect themselves?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Where do you live?

Or, maybe the question should be: what have you done to think you might be stormed by an angry mob at any minute?

Milton Keynes, England. Most of it is really quite nice, but there remains unmistakable undertones of evil, and bad sound. The place could explode into mad, chaotic hatred, and sectarian violance at any moment. So you have to be prepared to wear a special, militant, Olive green coloured, Immortal Technique hat and chop peoples forearms off with a sharp Bastard, at any time. Aside from that, 2008 is coming, and I think we all know what starts happening after 2008, don't we? Oh yes.

Originally posted by Essan

You're not the bloke who wrote them 'crazy frog' ringtones are you?

Certainly not!

[edit on 29-6-2006 by Communication_Burger]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T

Originally posted by Zanzibar
Farming tool? What the hell would that be used for? I can only imagine it being used as a nasty beating tool.

It was originally developed as an aid to breaking up hard ground to plant maize seeds. originally it was a little longer but then they found out that it could puncture a guys head just as efficiently..

Just as the local chinese farmers used a rang of ''tools'' that have now become famous in today,s martial arts displays

I too use an original farming tool as an ornament. Image a burglars face when I show up with this baby..

No in all honesty I think the law has changed where you can actually use a fair amount of rasonable force without risk of prosecution from the side of the burglar? I for one know that if I ever met a burglar primal instincts would take over and i'd probably give him one hell of a hiding from the nearest heavy (preferably metal) object. The one thing I do agree with that the Americans use is the 'trespassers will be shot' routine (obviously not quite as extreme over in the UK), the UK should have a similar law passed protecting home owners fully from implying force on burglars.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Here in the US where I live (florida), we can attack someone if we think they are going to attack us (like shooting the person with a registered gun). Like if we think they are following us and are threatening us. It is a really weird law.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   
this is somthing i have wanted to know! thanks for this thread!

im lucky in that the particular area of my city that i live in is a nice area there is little crime, but in some of the other areas there are lots of bad bad people, not all of them are "chavs" but the vast ammount are.

the way i protect myself if im walking during the day i dont carry anything im 6ft2 and i am 20+stone, but not muscley just big lol so they tend to leave me alone if u keep eye contact to a minimum (avoiding "oi what are you looking at") and stroll perpously past.

at night if i am walkin back more than 10 mins from my house i endevour to have inconspicious things about my person for example i took a sport sock folded in my pocket and on the way back, i could if needed slip my bunch of keys into the sock and make a handy weapon.

at home i keep all the knifes locked in a draw, and the doors and windows double locked at night and i have varitie of objects for smacking.

oh and also i would recomened a personal attack alarm especialy if ur a girl but anyone should have one, just incase u are hugely outnumbered, they are loud enough to create a distraction for u to leg it to the nearest safe place and call the police if need be.

always remember descretion is the better part of valor

anyway investigating.. there are lots of grey areas in the uk in terms of what your allowed to own but on this list you will get in trouble for carrying them in the street

you can own

Bows
Crossbows
hunting knives and other hunting equipment
Swords (if not kept sharp and only for display or legitmate martial arts purporses) but no one will check if u sharpen ur sword.
BB Guns (although they lack stoping power but a bb in the face/knee/nuts is enough to slow down pretty much anyone)

it is not legal to own
CS Style gas spray.
Ninja Stars
Throwing Knives
Guns (obviously)

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   

It's on like Donkey Kong.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Can someone explain to me what "stone" means? I have heard Europeans say that before and am confused. And also chavs, what are chavs? lol

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
Here in the US where I live (florida), we can attack someone if we think they are going to attack us (like shooting the person with a registered gun). Like if we think they are following us and are threatening us. It is a really weird law.

That's BS. You can't shoot someone just because you think they are going to hurt you or because you think they are following you.

You better have a damn good reason to cap someone or else your'e going to jail...and rightfully so.

Your'e talking about the shoot first and ask questions law that came out in Florida (that's JB for you)....that does not mean that you can just shoot a person because of what you think someone is about to do....you better be able to back up what you thought they were trying to do to you. Look it up.

[edit on 29/6/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eternal_Question
it is not legal to own
CS Style gas spray.
Ninja Stars
Throwing Knives
Guns (obviously)

Throwing knives are legal to own, but not to carry.

Firearms (Guns) are legal if you have:

A Shotgun Certificate (For shotguns, obviously) - Barrel length at least 24" and no more than a 2 cartridge (Ammo) capacity.

A Firearm License (A few different types) - For Shotguns with more than a 2 shot capacity and for rimfire and centrefire firearms. Semi-Auto .22 carbines are also legal.

Of course, it is illegal to own a firearm for self-defense and to carry a loaded or openly carried one in public.

Also, 'Long Barreled Revolvers' and other 'Long Barreled Handguns' are legal to own on a firearm certificate. So handguns are not completely banned (As well as section 7.1 and 7.3 handguns).

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Yeah its difficult to protect yourself in the UK since all the protection seems to go to the law breaker.

You all remember a few years ago when the old farmer pulled his shotgun on the guy who was breaking into his farm (for the 28th time i believe), shot him and promptly got tried and sent to jail!!!

Thats UK justice for you. Defending his home from some idiot and he gets sent down. I reckon he had shown remarkable restraint in not shooting him on one of the previous break ins.

It's my right to defend myself in my home and even with the crazy UK justice i would have done the same!

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB

That's BS. You can't shoot someone just because you think they are going to hurt you or because you think they are following you.

You better have a damn good reason to cap someone or else your'e going to jail...and rightfully so.

Your'e talking about the shoot first and ask questions law that came out in Florida (that's JB for you)....that does not mean that you can just shoot a person because of what you think someone is about to do....you better be able to back up what you thought they were trying to do to you. Look it up.

[edit on 29/6/2006 by SportyMB]

Yes I know, but if you think about it, what I said was just what you said. You shoot someone because you think you have a good enough reason, thus THINKING. This law is ludicrous because what is a good reason? The law says you can shoot someone even if they don't harm you, or physically harm you, but you THINK you have a good reason, and then shoot them.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Can someone explain to me what "stone" means? I have heard Europeans say that before and am confused. And also chavs, what are chavs? lol

Chavs are the bulk of the crime in England but there crimes are small usally shop lifting, robbery, car stero theft and other minor stuff also some drugs dealing could be something they also do.

We basically have 2 types of criminals in my opinion in England the Chavs who are yobs and then we have the second type of criminal who is the dangerous Thug style criminal with guns and knives, kidanppings, murders, rapes etc...

Luckily for us the Chavs are minor Yobs although they are a complete and utter discrace and inconvienence to british life im still glad they are non-thug oritentated like dangerous criminals.

Anyway these will explain more :

Basic info on Chavs :
en.wikipedia.org...
www.chavscum.co.uk...

Pictures of Chavs :
freespace.virgin.net...
chavscum.co.uk...
www.chavscum.co.uk...
chavscum.co.uk...
www.chavscum.co.uk...

How to stop a Chav :
www.chavscum.co.uk...

Most chavs are criminals but not hardend thugs. These are the types of people that rob your houses and steal from old people thats why they are so hated in the UK.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Captain_Sensible

Originally posted by Eternal_Question
it is not legal to own
CS Style gas spray.
Ninja Stars
Throwing Knives
Guns (obviously)

Throwing knives are legal to own, but not to carry.

Firearms (Guns) are legal if you have:

A Shotgun Certificate (For shotguns, obviously) - Barrel length at least 24" and no more than a 2 cartridge (Ammo) capacity.

A Firearm License (A few different types) - For Shotguns with more than a 2 shot capacity and for rimfire and centrefire firearms. Semi-Auto .22 carbines are also legal.

Of course, it is illegal to own a firearm for self-defense and to carry a loaded or openly carried one in public.

Also, 'Long Barreled Revolvers' and other 'Long Barreled Handguns' are legal to own on a firearm certificate. So handguns are not completely banned (As well as section 7.1 and 7.3 handguns).

ah sorry i didn't know its legal to own this sort of gun, im very suprised about the handguns i thought they were all banned after the Dunblane Massacre? i belive it is a very long process to aquire the nessesary license? i wouldnt know where to even begin. i didnt know that throwing knives were ok either interesting.

Hey Im From Milton Keynes also
what area are you from?

and for the person who asked what chavs are try typing it into google or wiki should help u but on a basic level its a term for teenagers-early 20's who all dress in branded sports wear baseball hats and hooded tops to hide their face, also they tend to wear tacky jewlery bought from argos for a few quid, they tend to be a group animal, their favorite habitiat is outside shops or back allys

they tend to shout random abuse at people and if particualy bad will randomly assault and mug passes by, usualy for money to buy cigeretts or cheep booze.

they all think that they are the hardest people in the world but wouldnt dream of fighting anyone without atleast 4 or 5 friends behind them. they are not very nice but if u ignore them as i do you should be ok.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
A few clarifications:

All people using reasonable force in the UK have to rely on the 'self defence' defence if it comes to court - this applies to the Police. Army and householders too. You may only claim self defence if you're forced to protect yourself (or others) and have no other choice.

The law has NOT changed - although the Govt have indicated a slightly different interpretation by the courts is desiable - at the end of the day it's down to the judge / luck

You are allowed to use any reasonable force (including deadly force) based on the threat you believe yourself to be facing - key word is believe.

Guns are tricky as you may hold them if you have the right paperwork and they must be stored secured & unloaded. To use a loaded gun to defend yourself is tricky therefore - the perceived threat must warrant it and you run the risk of the fact you have it out of the cabinet & loaded could be taken as undue preparation to commit a crime.

Shotguns are restricted to 3 shots on an SGC (2 in the mag and 1 in the chamber - although you can get 2" carts and legally load 4
). Over that it's on an FAC (section 5?)

Rimfire and other FAC guns are relatively easy to get but you have to prove you have a NEED ( not just 'I want one') and obtain references. If you pass those tests and have decent security then no probs.

Airguns upto 12 ft/lbs do not require licence and as long as you're not an ex-crim there's no restriction on ownership.

Shooting a burglar with a BB gun is just likely to annoy him!

Personally I don't think you can beat a 6 cell Maglite as a 'to hand' item.

BTW 'Chav' means a low-life, normally teenage yob - although some say it stands for Council-Housed And Violent

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The UK residents who could really add something to this discussion are either dead or in jail. They are generally referred to as "victims".

Basically the British hope that the burglar/mugger/rapist will respond well to their cool demeanour, witty repartie, or commanding tone of voice. This is also known as "bending over for the soap" in prison speak.

When the local Chief Constable was asked how Tony Martin should have responded to the presence of 2 home invaders in his farmhouse late one night (he actually shot them and was jailed for it) - the Chief Constable advised that anyone in that situation should dial 999 for the police, and then start screaming. When it was pointed out to him that the farmhouse was almost 2 miles from the nearest neighbour, the nice policeman was somewhat lost for words.

The UK government has outlawed several categories of firearms, and made it difficult to obtain those which are still permitted. Air rifles and relicas are currently under scrutiny, as is the possibility of banning certain types of knives.

All this will of course make no difference, the UK has the highest levels of violence for any nation in the developed world (as per a recent UN study).

The best they can do is to hope that the nasty men don't pick on them, or that if they do, they will be satisfied with a wallet or perhaps a quick rape of their wife before leaving.

Hey, if that's the way they like it, who are we to argue. They really don't seem to be all that bothered by it.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I have two locks on the door one is a combination and I change the number every 4 months so the buttons don't get worn and give it away.
Two bolts on the inside. And four samurai swords about.
I was attack in my own bed when I was 13 its left me paranoid.
And I can plead insanity!
Or just push the body of the balcony,
I live high up. They would not know witch one did it.
Just wash every thing with bleach.
It’s just a shame I can not carry a sword on the street.
Only the crooks can do that.
Just this week we had a gang gun battle in UK Birmingham.
I don't mind when they kill each other.

GSA

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Well, dead or in jail hey? nope not at all. I'm very alive and very free, having lived in leeds for 5 years and been burgled twice (I was at home both times) First assailant lost the hearing in both ears, suffered a broken arm and pelvis and then when released from hospital was jailed for 3 years.

The power of a trident alarm people. 130 decibles of pure menace, a smell a skunk would be proud of, wielded by a person who really will push you back down a flight of stairs if your in my home, oh and i'll push you with my foot - via your face. I was found to have acted in self defence, as it was 3 30 am and I was alone at home. He was high on glue and armed with a sharpend screw driver.

The second time I was stood in the kitchen in the middle of the day when the front door was forced open. In came two men with small sticks / staves, and started to spread out a blanket and pile my belongings onto it. I called the police via a mobile telling them I was a lone female with two intruders in my home. They told me to leave them and get to a safe room. I stayed in the kitchen till one of the men came in, looked at me and demanded my rings. I was attacked and defended myself by stabbing him four times, one wound punctured his lung, the other three were not so deep, but this made him stagger to his friend who dragged him to the door. The police dog bit the friend as he tried to run away from the police that had arrived, but I sustained a broken wrist and fractured collar bone and was awarded £750 compensation from the criminal injuries board.

For the attack the man got 18 months in jail, and his friend got a year for aggravated burglary.

The moral of this story really is that if your alone at home, fear for your life and use force like you really mean it.

Me? well after tying my husband to the radiator till he calmed down, we decided that leeds was a shoddy place to live, and that moving south would be a good idea. hmmmmm - maybe not, because the little bad lads that roam oxford are like feral rats in track suit tops... they even have little girls who for the want of a better word hang out with them - and they are just as nasty looking.

Oh the youth of today hey? terrible. : )

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
My home is secure, my garage and car are both secure. My pride and joy (my bike) is locked to the floor of the garage.

I tend to use my instincts and use my brain to tell me when something or some one is about to kick off. I keep well away from trouble if i can help it.

I have no need to carry any weapon with me when i am out. Maybe thats 30 years of martial arts training that helps in that respect. If, and only if, i had no other choice, and my back was to the wall so to speak, then i would do what ever i could to get out of there. Not sure what this would entail, but i would certainly do whatever was needed.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Cor Blimey, there's a lot of Multiple Lock Systems and Swords/Farming Tools being implemented by you people. I thougt my area was unsavoury, but I don't think we need that kind of protection here just yet. Won't be long mind you, it's 5 times worse than it's ever been here as it is

When I was younger I would carry something with me, usually a big nasty full length finger "decoration", but I grew out of that. It would have probably broken my finger in half on impact anyway

Now, I just don't put myself in situations I know will be "dodgy", and if I have no choice, I just act tough and hope for the best. I can't say I look confident, but I just keep a little smile and my head up and know that if anything starts, all I can do is fight like an animal and fight to kill.

Guns won't work here, there's far too many stupid people who would have easy access to it, it would be mayhem. Really, there's no solution as far as I can see, the upcoming generations are almost beyond help, unless there's some radical change that I can't envision on the horizon, it looks like you'll just have to "keep your chin up" and hope for the best. And hope the police/justice system get better (Yeah right, under Labour?
)

[edit on 29-6-2006 by chebob]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Strangerous

Shotguns are restricted to 3 shots on an SGC (2 in the mag and 1 in the chamber - although you can get 2" carts and legally load 4
). Over that it's on an FAC (section 5?)

My bad, wrong information on my part.

I would like to get a semi or a pump at some point.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
How about carrying a fully charged high voltage capacitor-shocking for thugs and muggers! Mind you even this is probably illegal in the uk,so it was a joke...
Am i correct in saying that you are allowed guns in america to project yourselves from a government gone bad?Is it the 2nd ammendment or something?
Cause i rekon thats a good reason.I can see why folks in America find it wrong that people are not allowed to defend themselves-i mean the cops in the UK will saunter over to your house a day or three after you repot a crime...cheers guys.I phoned them a year or so back to tell them the neighbors were away and the house alarm was going off.you know what they said?
"oh,can`t you just go and see if theres anyone breaking in-no one availible for a call out sorry!"
I told them no sorry,thats you`re job in case you have been mis informed...
Also we had some goons trying to get into our cars long ago in the early hours,so i ran my drill-takes me 18 seconds to get downstairs,door unlocked, 38 kilo dog in one hand(leashed and making demon noises),heavy african kosh in other hand,screaming profanities and mortal threats...Through the red mist three goons disperse at light speed,dropping a small penknife and a big screw driver.I carry on screaming for a bit,dog howling and growling,then go inside for a nice cup of tea.
Only ever had to do that the one time.No problems since.Can`t imagine why...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join