It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

question about hell

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   
how can someone feel pain when they are dead that doesnt make sense so how can one be tortured in hell

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
You assume you dont feel pain when you die. I'm of the belief that I will continue after death and not only feel things better but be able to see, hear and taste things better. Once I die I would shed this tent and the real me would come out so to speak. It would be like working with gloves on all day then taking them off and really feeling the difference. So that being said hell would be that much more hellish. I'm not sayings this "IS" how it is its just my 2 cent take on it.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Hell isn't a place of torment--it is literally just the 'grave.' Which is a place of nothingness--a place in which the soul is dormant, so to speak.

Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might; for there is no work, nor plan, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave where you go.
(Ecclesiastes 9:10 MKJV)

And that grave--the spiritual grave of the soul--was not created for the human soul. It was created as severe chastisement for those who had no excuse for disdaining God's laws--not forever, either. It was just for this particular age, 13,000 years long and considered just a 'season.'

And those angels not having kept their first place, but having deserted their dwelling-place, He has kept in everlasting chains under darkness for the judgment of a great Day; as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities around them, in like manner to these, committing fornication, and going away after other flesh, laid down an example before-times, undergoing vengeance of everlasting fire.
(Jude 1:6-7 MKJV)

It is the fire that is 'everlasting' not the chastisement. Revelation--written after this letter, surely--says that death and the grave will be no more.

Anything 'everlasting' is of God--especially fire and only God's vengeance is valid. But it isn't permanent like He is!

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlteredStates
You assume you dont feel pain when you die. I'm of the belief that I will continue after death and not only feel things better but be able to see, hear and taste things better. Once I die I would shed this tent and the real me would come out so to speak. It would be like working with gloves on all day then taking them off and really feeling the difference. So that being said hell would be that much more hellish. I'm not sayings this "IS" how it is its just my 2 cent take on it.

how can a soul feel things "better" when a soul has no physical body???

[edit on 29-6-2006 by dabomb]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:45 AM
link   
i personally believe that this is heaven and hell rolled into one,and the things you do or dont do will influense you standing in the next life. I also believe in a greater power that controls everything living from the smallest microbe to the largest creature alive, this energy is continuos and after death we all join up with it and are recycled if you will. So as the saying goes this is hell on earth

It is so hard for me to get my beiliefs across in words as i believe in many things that are not considered normal lol and i find it difficult to get them across with out seeming a bit cookoo

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I dont believe in after life or hell. Hence you cant feel anything.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Hell will arrive on earth December 21st 2012!!!!

I am jesus. If you want to join my army please leave your name and address and I will send you a leaflet.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by surrender_dorothy
I am jesus. If you want to join my army please leave your name and address and I will send you a leaflet.

Well gee, sis, wouldn't you already know?

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   
The soul of a person doesn't die. It still experiences things. In eternity people who have rejected Christ will spend eternity in the Lake of Fire. in the Lake of Fire. Death doesn't mean nonexistance.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Pretty funny.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt
The soul of a person doesn't die. It still experiences things. In eternity people who have rejected Christ will spend eternity in the Lake of Fire. in the Lake of Fire. Death doesn't mean nonexistance.

dbrandt, how do you know? Has your soul been dead? Have you experienced hell or eternity or do you know anyone, personally, who has?

How can you believe that the soul lives always yet think that reincarnation is an evil idea? It is an idea which is alive--hell is an idea which is dead. God is the God of the living!

What a waste! All those souls, created year after year, only to be condemned to eternal torture while the world continues, still trying to get it 'right' somehow and start populating 'heaven.' :shk:

Read your bible--it contradicts what you are saying, so unless you have personal or first hand accounts to relate, you're just blowing smoke disguised as information.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Just because I'm jesus doesn't mean I'm psychic. Doesn't even mean I have special powers. Just mean's i'm the spawn of god.

So...Are you with me or are you against me?

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by dabomb
how can someone feel pain when they are dead that doesnt make sense so how can one be tortured in hell

"Hell" is a concept borrowed by the Christians from the Greek's notion of "Hades," and the Egyptian notion of judgment after death by the gods Anubis and Ma'at. It serves the function of frightening the foolish into doing something they ordinarily wouldn't care to do, or reminding people to behave themselves. Don't worry. It doesn't exist.

No, once you're dead, that's pretty much the end of it. The body that holds your identity and consciousness will cease to function and quickly disintegrate. You rapidly fade into complete non-existence, with no thoughts, feelings or memories. A bit of the energy you generate through electro-chemical interactions, body heat for instance, and the chemicals you're made of, are returned to the space around you, but not in any coherent, conscious form.

An image of you may linger a little while in your friend's memories, but after a while they'll all die, too. You can build huge stone monuments to yourself, but it doesn't take long for people to forget you anyway. If you have children, perhaps a tiny bit of your DNA will be carried forward into time. No much different than a bit of calcium from your tooth being used by a snail to build a shell, though.

And of course, you'll never know about any of it, because you won't exist anymore. All of your loves and dreams and hopes and efforts will eventually come to nothing in the end, revealing themselves to be sheer folly. Not much more than dance lessons in a burning building.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38

dbrandt, how do you know?
What a waste! All those souls, created year after year, only to be condemned to eternal torture

Read your bible--it contradicts what you are saying,

The Bible tells us so. You are the one who contradicts the Bible.

People don't have to go to hell, sins are forgiven through faith in Christ.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt
The Bible tells us so. You are the one who contradicts the Bible.

Show me. Because I showed something--instead of just spouting off. You should do the same, because I don't see any kind of eternal torment mentioned in the bible--in fact, as I posted above, its quite the opposite.

Do you not care that this is someone's true question and is important to them, otherwise they wouldn't have asked? Why just promote your beliefs as fact, when you can't back them up, in such a situation? How selfish that is. :shk:

I think you should provide some sort of solid evidence--at least as far as what the bible states. Not what you believe, but what information can be had by anyone who cares to look. Any other forum on ATS would require it--why not in the religion/faith forum?

It may not be a conspiracy, but it sure isn't a revival tent meeting, either!

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Just because I'm jesus doesn't mean I'm psychic. Doesn't even mean I have special powers. Just mean's i'm the spawn of god.

Uh huh. Or a Dominican shortstop. (Hay-soos!! Dont swing at 'em when the're in the DIRT!!)

So...Are you with me or are you against me?

Absolutely

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   
This hell is my vote for the true hell. Hell after death? I don't see it, though I do feel souls go on for many lives. But, John 3 16 of the kjav seems to say that you either live forever or not. No hell is mentioned....... perish is what John wrote. Of course, hell is here now. Thankfully only 6 years to go!

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I'm with BlackGuard!!!

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   
We can know something of Hell through Luke 16:19-31. This may or may not be a parable, but I won't get into that debate since even if it is a parable, we can look at it as being a factual account of Hell. The verses are as follows:

19"There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

22"The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'

25"But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.'

27"He answered, 'Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, 28for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.'

29"Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.'

30" 'No, father Abraham,' he said, 'but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.'

31"He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.' "

There are several reasons we can look at this as factual, even if it is a parable. The first being Christ did not sin. Since He did not sin, it is unfathomable that He would lie here in order to make an opportunity to teach on the subject being spoken about. The second reason, which ties in closely with the first, is that Christ never spoke a parable involving something that couldn't happen. He did not base His parables on fantasy or on situations that could not take place. One lesson some people think is odd and could justify making something up about Hell would be the lesson of the fig tree and the following metaphor. However, even though the fig tree was out of season for figs, fig trees produce fruit before they are in season that isn't edible, but is still there. The tree, which should have had this "pre-fruit", wasn't producing any; that is why he had condemned it. So in every example Christ uses, He uses a situation that is feasible; it could happen. Therefore, we can expect that this is no exception.

Jesus said that in hell, the rich man was in torment. This is not sleep, this is not non-existence, this is pain and anguish. There is also no possibility to cross from Hell into heaven, as Abraham said there is a chasm. That is why Christ's sacrifice is so important -- He has provided a bridge over that void for us to cross, if we but believe in Him in this world. God is perfect, and can only abide perfection. When sin came into the world, He provided a way to atone. The wages of sin is death, but God provided the ability of sacrificing a lamb in place of yourself for your sins. When a sacrifice was to be made, the Jews would lay their hands on the animal, pray that their sins were transferred to the animal, and then the animal would be sacrificed at the alter. This was a fruitless exercise, though, if you did not trust in God and pray to have the sin transferred. It was not a matter of providing the animal alone. If this were the case, Saul wouldn't have found disfavor in God's eyes, losing his anointing as king of Israel for his disobedience though he was still going to sacrifice the first fruits of the battle to the lord (1 Sam. 15).

God provided the ultimate sin sacrifice for us through Jesus Christ, in that He was without sin, a clean and pure lamb. His sacrifice is universal, but we still have to give our sin to that sacrifice for it to be in accord with God's complete justice. If you don't place your faith in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, He was just another nice guy who was killed. If you do accept Him as the ultimate sacrifice for your wrong deeds and for your inaction when action was called for (i.e. sin), His blood not only covers those actions, but washes them clean. He has chosen everyone here, but for some, He is still standing at the door, knocking, asking you to let Him into your life so He can give you this incredible gift He has offered the world, making you pure in God's sight.

If you want to know how you can place your faith in this sacrifice, you can U2U me. Make no mistake; this is the most important decision you will ever make in your lifetime.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
We can know something of Hell through Luke 16:19-31. This may or may not be a parable, but I won't get into that debate since even if it is a parable, we can look at it as being a factual account of Hell.

Pretty cheesy, dear Jake! :shk:

Especially since I presented my thoughts on this very subject on a thread you started, inviting 'anyone' for their thoughts...

Parable or real history?

I wasn't pushy or aggressive in my reply--and you ignored me! You should have said 'anyone except queenannie!' and I wouldn't have bothered taking the time. I'm not trying to prove anything, Jake. But you are--not the bible but your own convictions---and you are using the textbook incorrectly because you assume to know things that have not been revealed to you. I don't know what I know by trying to learn it myself. God is revealed through His word. Hardly anyone waits on Him to reveal it! Mainly because there is a false idea of a 'do or die' deadline enforced by the threat of hell (the grave) which is invalid! Vicious circle. Vicious.

What does this, combined with your statements here, say about your attitude? More focused on being 'right' than being 'right with God' and teaching 'right things.' You didn't believe I could teach you anything--you just went ahead and made your mind up according to your personal judgment.

I learn from you--I learn from everyone. I've learned some of the most jarring things by listening to someone I thought was surely off track--but I didn't make a decision to change my mind upon hearing what they had to say, but I didn't count it out, either. Later on, what had been said began to reveal itself as reliable according to the scripture, through my mind, and my heart didn't convict me of error.

Trusting God means trusting Him to make His truth known--but we cannot rush Him and we cannot decide what we want to be 'truth.' The bible is used to support men's beliefs, and that is error. The bible will hold up all truth, in a way that isn't forced or contrived. And then the belief is established. But to 'believe' in God means to believe that HE IS, and then to trust Him to show us what HE IS and what HIS PLAN is--not the same thing, at all, as trusting in what we believe about God and what we think He should do. His Plan is not to send anyone to hell forever. I showed that above, without injecting my beliefs or opinion--the bible says what it says.

There are several reasons we can look at this as factual, even if it is a parable.

No, just one: not understanding its parabolic meaning causes an effort toward making it into a 'factual' account. No need to do that--if it is not understood, then leave it alone. It will come, as all things do--to those who wait on the LORD. If it isn't understood, it shouldn't be taught to another as authoritative.

I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.
(Psalms 27:13-14)

The first being Christ did not sin. Since He did not sin, it is unfathomable that He would lie here in order to make an opportunity to teach on the subject being spoken about.

No, He was 'without sin.' It says nothing about sinning as an action, either way. And of course He wouldn't lie--but how is a parable a lie? It is not a lie or truth--it is an allegorical explanation of a difficult concept--spiritual ideas presented in material illustrations in order to teach those who are seeking spiritual understanding in a material world.

The second reason, which ties in closely with the first, is that Christ never spoke a parable involving something that couldn't happen. He did not base His parables on fantasy or on situations that could not take place.

'Could' take place is not the same thing as 'did' take place.

He has chosen everyone here

Nope. Wrong again:

For many are called, but few are chosen.
(Matthew 22:14)

but for some, He is still standing at the door, knocking, asking you to let Him into your life so

Nope. 'Many are called.' Not 'all are called.'

And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
(Hebrews 10:17)

He can give you this incredible gift He has offered the world, making you pure in God's sight.

The gift has already been given, Jake--in full. The world is pure in God's sight--but not in their own mind. If we don't stand in the purity, it is because there is only one thing to do: step forward into the light and present yourself as a living sacrifice.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join