It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli 4 F-16 fly over Syria

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Home fly-by sends message to Syrian leader By JOSEF FEDERMAN, Associated Press Writer
9 minutes ago

JERUSALEM - Israeli warplanes buzzed the summer residence of Syrian President Bashar Assad early Wednesday, military officials said, in a message aimed at pressuring the Syrian leader to win the release of a captured Israeli soldier.

The officials said on condition of anonymity that the fighter jets flew over Assad's palace in a low-altitude overnight raid near the Mediterranean port city of Latakia in northwestern Syria. Israeli television reports said four planes were involved, and Assad was home at the time.

Link

news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=Aq32.fatvTG7yjD_3GAgqmNvaA8F;_ylu=X3o'___'A0cDJlYmhvBHNlYwM-

Does any body else think this was a step too far this time for Israel this time they where crying and moaning last time when Assad was trying to get SA-18 Igla missiles and other missiles from Russia and now they fly-by his house again.

Assad is going to have to respond sooner or later this is something like the second or third time Israel has flown over Assads buildings with him in it at the time. Assad is starting to look weak at home and will have to pull off some drastic move to show that he's not israelis bitch to his people and you also have to factor in the embarrassment of having your airspace violated by a forign country when ever they feel like and you can't do anything to stop it.

Do you think it's S-300 and sa-18 time for Syria becuase i'm sure if Syria can get the cash Russia can supply the systems.

TPL

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Israel's certainly pushing its luck isn't it. Syrias airspace should be respected.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I really hope that they have solid proof that this soldier is within syrias borders. If he's not I cannot see how they can just cross another countries borders with a warplane and buzz over the house of a leader of a country. Americans can't even fly over Washinton DC without having a fighter threaten to shoot them out of the sky much less a foreign fighter jet fly over american soil.

Pie

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Not that I would have used this tactic but man that message is pretty clear.

But really when your sponsoring terrorism like Syria what did they honestly expect?

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Israeli military jets went into Syrian territory today.

Syria says that when Syrian gunners fired on the Israeli planes, they ran off. They were forced to return to Israel.

In other words, the Syrian forces are claiming that they scared the Israeli pilots away.

"Syria chases Israeli jets out of airspace" CNN

Naturally, the CNN headline is ery embarrassing to Israel.

CNN - June 28, 2006 Updated: 2:56 p.m. EDT (18:56 GMT)

Syria: We chased off Israeli planes

Israeli warplanes flew over the home of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on Wednesday, as Israeli forces conducted operations in Gaza to save a kidnapped soldier. Syria says it chased Israeli warplanes out of its airspace after what it called a "hostile and provocative act," Syrian state television reported Wednesday.

www.cnn.com...

[edit on 28-6-2006 by mr conspiracy]

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
The Guardian says they fired on the jets.

"The overflight by two Israeli planes near the Syrian shores is an aggressive act and a provocation," the television news said, quoting an unindentified Information Ministry official.

It said "national air defences opened fire in the direction of the planes, and they dispersed and left the area."

Israeli TV said four planes were involved in the overflight and that Assad was home at the time. Officials did not report that the jets came under fire from the Syrians.

Guardian

Whatever the truth this is a worrying development.

GSA

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Well, it had to happen some time, because if Syria keeps sponsoring world wide islamic terror, then its going to get itself badly burnt. They have the will and ways to get that Israeli soldier back to his family, to say other wise undermines 40 years of state sponsored terrorism by Syria, whom are largely helped by Iran.

Ok a violation of soverign airspace is naughty and could provoke a respone, but so is digging a tunnel and kidnapping a soldier.

One thought: I'd hate to be that soldier now - I bet he's getting the slimey stuff kicked out of him.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TPL
Israel's certainly pushing its luck isn't it. Syrias airspace should be respected.

Agreed their airspace should be respected. I say blow the Israeli planes outta the sky. You wanna play games see how you like a nice SAM following you home.

brill

[edit on 28-6-2006 by brill]

GSA

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Agreed, so why cannot people say that against those 'freedom fighters' who entered Israel illegaly?

Syria knows and controls vast parts of the terror networks inside Palestine and Gaza, yet plays dumb because of an agenda to get all of Israel back into islamic hands.

Keep the planes out of Syrian skys I agree, but one more state sponsored attack that israel can prove, send in the tanks.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   

fromThePieMaN
I really hope that they have solid proof that this soldier is within syrias borders.

That was not the basis for the fly-by. The Hamas leader that ordered the kidnapping of the soldier has lived openly in Damascus for a long time. The message to Syria was to stop harboring him.

Originally posted by mr conspiracy
Israeli military jets went into Syrian territory today.

Syria says that when Syrian gunners fired on the Israeli planes, they ran off. They were forced to return to Israel.

In other words, the Syrian forces are claiming that they scared the Israeli pilots away.

"Syria chases Israeli jets out of airspace" CNN

Naturally, the CNN headline is ery embarrassing to Israel.

Yeah, right, Syria...you really scared away the Israeli fighter jets!!

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
That was not the basis for the fly-by. The Hamas leader that ordered the kidnapping of the soldier has lived openly in Damascus for a long time. The message to Syria was to stop harboring him.

ahaha yes what a lovely democratic country, where a duly appointed leader must hide in another country to keep from being assasinated by the Israeli hit-men. It still gives them no right to traverse into other countries airspace. Nothing more then being thugs. So tell me then, if Israel can cross Syrian borders with fighter jets to send veiled threats to a leader of another country, why are the Palestinians so wrong to be able to cross the border and attack, if the Israelis can cross not only Syrian borders but lebanese borders at a whim? What gives them these powers? They have already been rebuked by the UN for crossing and threatening to cross borders many times in the past. It wouldn't be their WMD would it? If anyone dares attack them for doing what they do they can always fall back on the good ole Samson Option.

Their government has shown how dangerous and calculated they can be, by cutting off water and power to the thousands of innocent people residing in Palestine, as well as the hospitals and schools. Not to mention threatening the life of a leader of another nation. They have done all this for the life of 1 Israeli soldier. If this does not prove to the world how dangerous their government is and how irresponsibly they can react, then I don't know what to say. They are definitely incapable of being in custody of any nuclear weaponry. If in fact they were ever legitimately attacked I can imagine what they would do if they are doing all this for 1 soldier.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
ahaha yes what a lovely democratic country, where a duly appointed leader must hide in another country to keep from being assasinated by the Israeli hit-men.

You're right. The poor, inocent duly elected leader, who did nothing more than call for kidnapping an Israeli soldier. I don't know what he big deal is; it's only a tiny little act of war.

All that education and nurturing that his parents gave him, and how proud they were when he was "duly elected". They must be so sad.

Sometimes, life's just not fair, ya know?

It still gives them no right to traverse into other countries airspace. Nothing more then being thugs.

Yeah, and Al-Assad was just showing genuine southern hospitality, is all. He had no idea that the guy had ordered a kidnapping.

So tell me then, if Israel can cross Syrian borders with fighter jets to send veiled threats to a leader of another country, why are the Palestinians so wrong to be able to cross the border and attack, if the Israelis can cross not only Syrian borders but lebanese borders at a whim?

Why, I guess they're not so wrong, now that you put it that way.

They just have to be ready to suffer the consequences, is all.

They have done all this for the life of 1 Israeli soldier. If this does not prove to the world how dangerous their government is and how irresponsibly they can react, then I don't know what to say. They are definitely incapable of being in custody of any nuclear weaponry. If in fact they were ever legitimately attacked I can imagine what they would do if they are doing all this for 1 soldier.

Update: It's now 1 soldier and 2 civilians that gave been kidnapped.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   
This is not the first time Israel does this, and it is not the last. This was a successful operation to show Syria that it is very much within range if Israeli forces, and that it can easily infiltrate its airspace. Israel of course is playing with fire, and the pilots have extremely little chance of escaping a SAM at such low altitude and close range. But it has done this many time before, with little or no mention on the news. Syria is currenly the most problematic neighbor for Israel, but open confrontation is highly unlikely.

And the whole event with the hostage is getting rather old and monotonous. Hamas took the hostage even though they knew there is no chance of Israel negotiating. Israel went into Gaza knowing that only more attacks from Hamas will follow. Hamas will carry out further attacks knowing that Israel would retaliate even harder. Israel will retaliate knowing that Hamas will retaliate....... and so on.

Little seems to have changed after Arafat and Sharon are out of the picture. New faces, same story. Its a long term vendetta and it is hardly a surprise anymore.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 12:20 AM
link   

You're right. The poor, inocent duly elected leader, who did nothing more than call for kidnapping an Israeli soldier. I don't know what he big deal is; it's only a tiny little act of war.

Israel has been kidnapping, detaining, persecuting and occupieing the Palistinians and their territory for 50 years plus, with many, many instances of what the United Nations and charity organizations have openly called "massacres" and "the genocide" of the Palistinian people.

How many faceless and nameless poor Palistinian women and children will die while Israel tear the place apart looking for one Israeli soldier whose face has been plastered all over western television screens.

Palestinian terrorism is nothing more than mosquito bites to the Israeli's, while the occupation of Palestine is the swamp that creates them.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by kojac
mosquito bites to the Israeli's

I'd like to see you tell Israelis whose loved ones died from palestinian attacks that it was just a mosquito bite. I have a friend who has witnessed what was left after such a mosquito bite- a bus turned into a bunch of twisted metal stained with blood, guts, and limbs everywhere. Limbs of people you knew, of people that had loved ones, of people who loved life. That mosquito bite stunned him for life. When your loved one dies unjustly (it is not Israeli civilians who are occupying Palestian- its the government), the most degrading thing to hear is that it is a mosquito bite.

No wonder there is a conflict there. Many people take Israel's side completely dismissing the Palestenians and their suffering. Many people take Palestinians side, completely dismissing suffering of Israelis. This is hardly a good way to solve a conflict that is already complicated beyond those people's understanding.

To solve this conflict you need to be open not the corrupted Fatah, hypocritical Israel government, radical intolerant degenrates, or Hamas that targets easiest victims- innocent ones. You need to be open to the people suffering on both sides. You need to be open to the interests of both people, forget past mistakes and vendettas, tople those that stand in the way of progress, and think collectivelly not ignorantly. No wonder with the vast majority taking one side or another there is a conflict.

[edit on 29-6-2006 by maloy]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Would it have hurt so much to just release the kids that were in jail and get the kids that hamas took, back alive and well instead of all this crap they are going through? Cmon these are all just kids! Why do they need to keep kids in a jail just for throwing rocks at a tank? All this expense and extra tension when they could have gotten the 2 israeli kids back and just given in a little by releasing the children. It would have shown so much good from both sides that they are really looking to care about the people they are supposed to be protecting. Not this stuff flying over other countries and blowing up bridges and Power stations and spending all this money on fuel , men and machinery! This is just so Freekin crazy.

These governments will trade spies because they are such a high commodity but humans they will not even budge an inch. Nuts.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Its their principles that are in the way. Most of the people on both sides want peace. They don't care anymore if they have to share their land with an Israeli or a Palestinian. Who cares if you neighbor is one or the other, as long as he is friendly to you. Israel and Palestine is a small patch of land, but not that small that you have to wrestle the control of every inch. It is large enough to have both people live there together. The French Canadians and Inuits live with the English speaking Canadians. Catalonians live with the Spanish. Basque live with the French, the Irish live with the British (alas after much violence), the Crimeans live with Ukrainians, Mongolians live with Chinese, cities like New York house people of all races, ethnicities, and religions living and surviving together. Much of the civilized world ceased to fight over land. Sometimes you have to live with people you don't like- and you just have to deal with it.

But thats nt so with Israel and Palestine. There is much more- ego. The radical Palestinians refuse to let Israel and its population exist, and the radical Israelis refuse to allow Palestinians remain in their home. As long as these radicals stay in power, peace has no chance. They will fight it out untill the end. Regular Israelis and Palestinians are not to blame. It is a regular pointless vendetta, and soon many will forget how it all even started. After all Jews and Muslims lived there together under British rule. It is pointless to the extreme, but as long as ego of both sides gets in the way, and there is no shortage of it- common sense is left in the background.

[edit on 29-6-2006 by maloy]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by kojac
How many faceless and nameless poor Palistinian women and children will die while Israel tear the place apart looking for one Israeli soldier whose face has been plastered all over western television screens.

Palestinian terrorism is nothing more than mosquito bites to the Israeli's, while the occupation of Palestine is the swamp that creates them.

Update to the hostage situation: Hamas has announced that they executed one of the two civilians that they kidnapped; an 18 year old boy:

Adding to the tension, a Palestinian militant group said it executed an 18-year-old Jewish settler kidnapped in the West Bank. Palestinian security officials said they believed the body of Eliahu Asheri had been found in the West Bank city of Ramallah.
www.forbes.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Gee I wonder what would have happened if 4 Syrian Jets passed over the House of mister Shimo Peres and did a 180 turn, check out a little bit, took some shots, waved with their missiles and left home for Syria.

But I guess SOME countries can do that and get away with it.

I guess SOME countries can violete Airspace of others and get away with it.

But then again, Isreal can basicly do anything it wants - since they do not obey none of the UN resolutions; they have powerful friends and they have lots of Nukes. Which means they can do just about everything - especially now, that their Precious friends, the Americans, are very close now. Soon they will meet somewhere in the middle of Syria and exchange War stories.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Gee I wonder what would have happened if 4 Syrian Jets passed over the House of mister Shimo Peres and did a 180 turn, check out a little bit, took some shots, waved with their missiles and left home for Syria.

They should try it and see what happens.

But I guess SOME countries can do that and get away with it.

I guess SOME countries can kidnap and execute an 18 year old settler. The news states that his body was badly burned.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join