It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLL: Is God Testing Our Faith?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   
ATS will give it you. Ideas on everything you could ever think about are here (damn I love this site). What I just noticed was I don't see many threads (or posts for that matter) that put faith in FAITH. With everything and all the impressions that go on in the world today, has anyone thought that maybe, just maybe, the world is a test of faith in HIM?

Dictionary.com has this to say about faith:
Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.

For most of my life, I've questioned everything... every, freaking, thing. I've always felt that if it can't be proven, it can't be trusted. By no means will I ever claim to be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I believe ignorance doesn't do this. There's plenty more that I could say right now, but I want to save it until this discussion develops.

Trust:
Reliance on something in the future; hope.

Reliance:
The faith, confidence, or trust felt by one who relies; dependence.

Dependence:
The state of being determined, influenced, or controlled by something else.

It's incredibly hard for a thinker to do these things, to have faith, but some of the best of the best (Hawking?) seem to give it much more than a passing glance in relation to how science plays out today. I would like to see where this goes (because your opinions, both valued and discredited offer precious insight into our nature). So let's discuss, what are the odds that pure, boundless faith could be our path to salvation/ascension?

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I feel perfectly sane ever since I accepted the fact that I am completely crazy.

Do not think of faith to much. It is a mind trap. Like being in a Bruce Lee mirror maze; you never know what is real and when something going to strike.

Know this.

All you know is you know nothing.

When in doubt do the right thing. Do what you can when you can.

Life is not that complicated. Really.

Salvation was already bought at a great cost. Nothing you can do can compare. Nothing you can do can get you there.

Remember your training save you it can.

Love one another.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cerebral Souldier
So let's discuss, what are the odds that pure, boundless faith could be our path to salvation/ascension?

Faith in God you mean?

Personally, chances are slim to none, as I do not believe in a supreme being.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The certainty of that which we call faith is actually not from our own strength--it is present when we feel God's love toward us.

Trust, then, follows.

Nothing wrong with questioning everything. It's not like God doesn't have every answer!! We just don't always have them ourselves, but all things will work out for the good in the end.

And so, peace be with you, brother!

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by HardToGet
I do not believe in a supreme being.

K, so if you don't mind me asking, where do you place your belief, and was it placed through absolutes or acceptance?

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cerebral Souldier
was it placed through absolutes or acceptance?

It was through absolutes really, studying the scriptures and reviewing history as written made me conclude there is no such thing, and that you must only believe in yourself, your family and love.

A supreme being does not make sense, and serves no purpose but for submission of the masses IMO.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
It all depends on how you choose to define "God."

If you define God as an omnipotent, infinite, conscious entity responsible for the creation and continued action of the universe, then it makes no logical, reasonable sense for such a being to require any kind of "test" for us, because that would imply that such an entity is lacking something, or has some kind of need, which is a direct contradiction of the definition.

Even if you say that the entity is doing it for our benefit, then there is still an implication that the entity has some kind of unfilled need to do things for us. That there is a lack or incompletion in this thing. Again, that's a contradiction when you're talking about something omnipotent and infinite.

A lot of people think that because we have free will, God tests us because our devotion to him must be sincere in order to have value. I think of this as the "Great Pumpkin" concept of God, who somehow needs our sincerity to make a correct assessment of our worthiness to be rewarded in an afterlife. Hopefully, you can see the obvious flaws in this line of thinking.

Most people who ponder this kind of question haven't really given the whole concept of "God" much real thought, but instead rely on a kind of rote understanding of the word that has been drilled into them as children but never seriously contemplated as a rational, intelligent adult.

Before you can really answer the question for yourself, you need to have a better understanding about what you mean when you talk about "God."

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enkidu

GSA

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I think God tests us each and every day - in ways too small to notice or too large for us to comprehend it doesn't matter - what we do with this life is up to us, what happens after is up to him. Yes, I do actually believe their is a God, and I do believe that God is the likeness of what we call 'male' here on this earth.

I never try to get people to change their views or beliefs, because to do that is to force yourself onto some one else. Gods there all the time, if they find him, great, if they don't not so great. If they find him, and then deny him, oh crappety:shk:

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I second what HardToGet has said. HardToGet if I had any WATS left this month I would have given you one.
Cheers Xpert11.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Caring for a Gay aids patient when you are a rabid anti gay crusader

Employing a minority when you are a bigoted business owner

sheltering a homeless person when you think they are worthless bums

donating money when you are a materialistic individual

and on and on...these are the true tests of your beliefs. It is easy to be Holy in Church, but being holy in the the marketplace, in your leisure time, in your everyday style of lving...that is the true test of Faith.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I seen a sign a friend had on his website it was a picture of a road sign that read:

"FAITH IS A JOURNEY
NOT A GUILT TRIP"

Made me think of this thread. lol

top topics

join