It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI makes alien contact?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZoooMer

Found this article Digg:
digg.com...

Maybe it will get some mainstream attention!

You are posting a link to the same article that was referenced in the beginning of the thread.

Anyway...

Greer is a fraud. Even the tin-foil-hatters on the UFO-sites don't take him at all seriously anymore, and that says something. Hell, most of us are still waiting for that "free-energy" he's been promising to reveal to the world for 3 years now. The sad part is, he is a very, very decent and smart man who has some very, very good ideas who began to fall prey to his own fame. In a lot of ways, he's like Alex Jones.

Deny ignorance. In this case, Deny Greer. Of course, they are one and the same in this particular case.

Most of us want this to be true, and most of us are intelligent folks here at ATS - by giving Greer the publicity that he so desperately feels he must have is not going to make any of us look very smart.

Don't serve as one of his tools.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I scanned the recent (and not-so recent) news wires for stories that struck me as out of the ordinary. Here's what I've come up with for things possibly related to disclosure and/or contact.

8/2/00 Co-Founder of Microsoft invests $12 million in SETI

3/22/04 Microsoft Co-Founder donates another $13.5 million to SETI

Those two are old, but they put the other Microsoft connections in perspective. This at least draws a direct connection between Microsoft and SETI. The rest of the linked items all took place in the past 2 weeks!

6/15/06 1400 miles of ocean made into National Monument

6/15/06 Bill Gates Retires from Microsoft

6/17/06 Shuttle Will Launch July 1 Despite Safety Warnings

6/20/06 China announces plans for Moonwalk in 2024

6/20/06 US Conducts Military Maneuvers off Guam... Invites Chinese

6/20/06 US Missile Defense Activated

6/26/06 Buffett donates 85% of his fortune to Gates Foundation

Please add any "out of the ordinary" events like these to the timeline and let's see if we can connect any dots.

In my opinion there are 4 threads to keep a close eye on in the near future:

Bill Gates/Microsoft connections to SETI.
US Government missile defense system and activities in the Pacific.
NASA activities, especially what goes on with the STS-121 Mission.
Chinese involvement in Space Exploration/Planetary Defense.

My own personal tin-foil hat theory: Disclosure/Contact is imminent. Bill Gates/Microsoft/SETI represent a group ready to accept the contact and act as peaceful ambassadors of our planet. Meanwhile, the two major super powers (US/China) are setting the peices on the table for planetary defense just in case the contact is hostile.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zenem
I know what you're saying but the fact of the matter is, we are being visited by Aliens and not the other way round.

Care to back up this "fact" with some decent, undeniable evidence? Because I'm not aware of any such thing. If you have this evidence, then I guess the announcement of ET signals received by SETI is no big deal, right? Like announcing you just heard "China Grove" by the Doobie Brothers on the radio from K-ROK 101.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I remember when Greer stepped up to the plate and promised everyone "full disclosure" of aliens and UFOs and spearheaded the organization to "find the truth." The truth that I've found is that in spite of the money and the hype, there are no "startling findings" although there have been "startling announcements" by Greer and some of the others.

Announcements that aren't backed by anyone else.

And then there's the case of the SETI clubs like ours here at ATS. While not all of them are into astronomy and many are the "look at the pretty pictures" bunch (okay... I admit I fall into the pretty pictures category), there are many who understand the tools and then go out and program stuff that the hardcore engineers and astronomers on SETI teams use to pick up interesting stuff.
www.setileague.org...

SETI would be focusing on processing a small area of the sky (not the whole sky in chunks) and that would be noticeable. So would a sudden change in the signal (human induced signals... and it's easy to figure out when something's being jammed.) There are SOME techniques that can recover SOME of the signal from the noise. But the last version/patch appears to be January 2006:
www.download.com...

That's half a year ago. Time enough to grind out the major signals and so forth.

The "prepare the world" is really sort of an unconvincing argument. If they were going to do that, they would have done it in the late 1960's when Star Trek (the original) was on. It was a time when there was a higher trust in government and science and a number of shows portrayed friendly aliens.

By now the whole world has heard of aliens. The "we have to ease them into this" scenario doesn't make sense.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   

By now the whole world has heard of aliens. The "we have to ease them into this" scenario doesn't make sense.

Well i would disagree, the whole world may of heard of them, but that doesnt mean they are ready for it.
Not the masses.
Some people are open minded, and even thats in degrees.
So i think the "conditioning" is far from over, ive got a kid and didnt take much notice of kids shows, i mean for 2-3 year olds.
Yet the amount of suggestion there regarding ET's happens alot.
My parents and ive had a lot of discussions on this subject with them, just shut off after a while, they dont want change, and want to keep life the way it is.

I believe when we make contact, staged or not, it will change our whole way of life, and this is what the government is afraid of.

[edit on 29-6-2006 by Denied]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   
anyone know where else i would be able to find this video? Ive been trying to hit up alienvideo.com and as expected the bandwidth limit is exceeded... much appreciated.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
The chances of SETI making contact with ANY intelligent race EVER is absolutely ZERO! They are just a science circus sideshow for everyone dumb enough to believe you can talk to aliens with radios. It is a known fact that there are no planet baring suns within 100 light years of this solar system. Which means that any signal paicked up from any intelligent plante would be 100 years old by the time we hear it, never mind a two way conversation. AND HERES THE POINT
This is exactly why any well established space faring civilisation would not be heard by listening to the electromagnetic spectrum. IT IS SIMPLY TOO SLOW FOR AN ADVANCED CIVILISATION TO COMMUNICATE ACROSS THE VAST DISTANCES OF SPACE. THEY SIMPLY WOULDN'T USE RADIO WAVES OR ANYTHING ON TH EM SPECRTUM. They clearly would have some other unknown form of instantaneous communication, they may even use their minds! To think that SETI will EVER have ANY success is RIDICULOUS! I don't even have to visit the link at the start to know that it is NOT a 'contact' with another race. Sorry.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I was wondering, since someone already said that Greer has made claims before such as that he would disclose a possible method for free energy, also that he has made claims of making ET contact before this current statement. Does anyone have links or information about these events? I'm curious as to how things played out exactly and I feel that if I can look at this info I would have a better chance of deciding, at least for myself, whether or not to trust Greer on his current statement or any future ones.

[edit on 29-6-2006 by captinofcats]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by captinofcats
I was wondering, since someone already said that Greer has made claims before such as that he would disclose a possible method for free energy, also that he has made claims of making ET contact before this current statement. Does anyone have links or information about these events? I'm curious as to how things played out exactly and I feel that if I can look at this info I would have a better chance of deciding, at least for myself, whether or not to trust Greer on his current statement or any future ones.

[edit on 29-6-2006 by captinofcats]

Space Aliens Under Blanca Mountain
Dr. Stephen Greer and Free Energy Technology
A skeptical look at free energy reseach by Greer of the disclosure project
No UFO Tale Is Too Wild For Dr. Steven Greer
Facts about Dr. Greer and his "Disclosure Project"

...there's a lot more stuff - just Google him. And to be fair, as I said, he is a very accomplished and once-respected physician - so read that stuff, as well.

Just in case it gets missed, it should be noted that CSETI and SETI are not one and the same. SETI believes that extraterrestrial intelligence exists and is looking for it. CSETI believes that extraterrestrial intelligence has already been found and is trying to invite it to a party.

On his CSETI site, Greer makes the claim that his organization has established contact with extraterresttrial craft and that they have the proof of such an event. Yet, for all the "the people have a right to know" posturing, he fails to provide a link to even a shred of the evidence.

Right now I think Dr. Greer can only convince the believers, not the skeptics or the non-believers, who he really should be targeting.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Take a pill Hippy... I don't think anyone is suggesting that SETI is conversing with ET. All that has been suggested is that they have made contact and that signals have grown stronger and more frequent. That only means we've possibly received intelligently created RF energy. Most people are fully aware that RF is not a practical interstellar communications means. As you point out, however, as a planet we've been producing RF as a byproduct of electrical generation for over 120 years, later adding all manner of RF. A civilization looking around may very well be able to detect these (now 100+ yo) signals. And similarly, we may also have the possibility of detecting the same. They're likely not ' hi how are ya?' messages and are just anomalous RF but even that would be huge.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   
In response to "Hippycracker"

I understand what you say, but You're not full Understanding the Mechanics of this.

Yes your correct in saying No space faring E.T will use Radio Communication

BUT it is safe to assume they did at one time!

Now I can't do Equasions for this Because Maths wasen't my Best subject

It depends on

1---How long a civilisation used Radio communication for
Lets say 500yrs
so We now have a window of opertunity of Hearing theoes signals for 500yrs.

2. How far away they are:
Depending on how far away they are , they might have Advanced lets say 5,000 yrs since they emitted there radio signals..It dosen't matter if they don't use radio anymore we will still pick there tv shows up "I luv Zorgi" or even "zill and zen the flower pot men" from 4,500 Years ago.

3. No We won't be able to have a two-way conversation with them but thats not what seti is about!

but it will prove We are noit alone rgardless if the signal was even a million yrs old.

Hope that Helps u understand

so you can now go back and edit that "ZERO" out of ur post

[edit on 29-6-2006 by TrentReznor]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hippycracker
The chances of SETI making contact with ANY intelligent race EVER is absolutely ZERO! They are just a science circus sideshow for everyone dumb enough to believe you can talk to aliens with radios. It is a known fact that there are no planet baring suns within 100 light years of this solar system. Which means that any signal paicked up from any intelligent plante would be 100 years old by the time we hear it, never mind a two way conversation. AND HERES THE POINT
This is exactly why any well established space faring civilisation would not be heard by listening to the electromagnetic spectrum. IT IS SIMPLY TOO SLOW FOR AN ADVANCED CIVILISATION TO COMMUNICATE ACROSS THE VAST DISTANCES OF SPACE. THEY SIMPLY WOULDN'T USE RADIO WAVES OR ANYTHING ON TH EM SPECRTUM. They clearly would have some other unknown form of instantaneous communication, they may even use their minds! To think that SETI will EVER have ANY success is RIDICULOUS! I don't even have to visit the link at the start to know that it is NOT a 'contact' with another race. Sorry.

Hippy, you have fallen into a trap. You have assumed "contact" is the same as "conversation" in regards to this subject and its not.

"Contact" in this context is simply awareness of existence. You are quite right in saying it would be impractical to communicate that way, but it wouldn't be impractical to see signs of artifical signals.

After all, our earliest radio transmissions are 100 light years away already....

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SKMDC1

My own personal tin-foil hat theory: Disclosure/Contact is imminent. Bill Gates/Microsoft/SETI represent a group ready to accept the contact and act as peaceful ambassadors of our planet. Meanwhile, the two major super powers (US/China) are setting the peices on the table for planetary defense just in case the contact is hostile.

Hey, you got my vote for the Way Above - great post, suggest everyone check out the links SKMDC1 posted in the above post.

I think you have a point sir, because if there ever is going to be public dislosure, this is probably very similar to how it woud go down. Interesting connections.

Who would be the "official" embassadors to extraterrestrials ?
Who would be the public frontend for all news related to the alien contact ?

First guess would be SETI & other powerful icons, like of course - Bill Gates.

Second guess would be NASA.

My thoughts are that SETI was created for just this very purpose. To serve as a smokescreen for the whole alien situation until the right time for the "right people" to carress this issue to the world, and in just the way they want it to unfold. For those of us who have known it all along, it will be nice to see official contact, but I can't help but fear that corrupted politics & media will turn this into a tool for a shadowy agenda.

[edit on 29-6-2006 by ZoooMer]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   
"My thoughts are that SETI was created for just this very purpose. To serve as a smokescreen for the whole alien situation until the right time for the "right people" to carress this issue to the world, and in just the way they want it to unfold. For those of us who have known it all along, it will be nice to see official contact, but I can't help but fear that corrupted politics & media will turn this into a tool for a shadowy agenda."

Again using Earth based technologies for communication with a highly advanced civilization is unfeasable. Since no proof of conspiracy has ever been shown since the idea first popped up about 60 or so years ago. If it is one thing about conspiracies like it is the fact people will accept it with no real facts to back up claims.

People who beleive in a government cover up are the ones being ignorant and biased. Either you have concrete evidence or your full of crap. If anyone has evidence of an ET cover up then they should show it. If no one has the proof then I suggest you keep your mouths shut until you do. As opposed to claiming fact with nothing to back it up.

Every conspiracy in history has been exposed as either being fake or real. Though I beleive that UFO's are in the skies there is no hard core proof out side of heresay to suggest otherwise.

SETI is nothing but a big dish with a lack of results it has prooven nothing to anyone . It is simply a waste of time and money for all those involved.
===========

Again aliens that advanced will use other forms of communication currently beyond our capabilities. As I mentioned earlier the most efficient way of communication over distances of light years in real time is infact quantum nonlocality or in english subspace communications. SETI would not be able to transmit or receive these communications. It is also unlikely that aliens would even scan for radio waves as they would be signs of a primative culture.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hippycracker
It is a known fact that there are no planet baring suns within 100 light years of this solar system.

Wherever you got your "facts" from, they are wrong.

en.wikipedia.org...

And the Kepler mission hasn't even been launched yet.

Sadly, no planets have yet been confirmed around the star system that the Vulcans from Star Trek come from.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 29-6-2006 by Junkheap]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
to Zenem and The_Doctor (or everyone else who wants to be informed):

let me explain how this universe works.
First, radio technology its not the best way to communicate because one- they have much superior tech, two- there are easier ways to do it. three- if we get something it will problably be from a civilitation similar to ours if not ourselves. Yes there are humans in other planets.
Second, there are certain rules the everyone must follow, we all have a place in this universe. As you know people have a destiny which its put for us as a live which we are following. Humans have a right which not many civilitations have. That is our freewill. as we are in earth we can either choose to follow our destiny OR a different life, which is created as we are doing it. That is our right in the universe. A rule very important everybody should know is that ET cannot interfere with human evolution. They cannot get involved in humanity. Even though some of bad ones are doing it. ET aslo will protect us in everyway they can from other hostiles species. Now you know why they dont just come because we wanted to.
Yes there are these sightings and crop circles that are happenig more frequently. The time will come for their coming and it will be in the next years. About 5 or 6. For those saying Yes!!! Seti got contact!!!, let me tell you that right now we are already getting contact and its not with a radio and from SETI. You can too but people these days are not that awake.
In conclusion, SETI must have had contact but nothing big to scare us or even impress us all. Contact is already happening and we are also getting information on human history and the universe. Doomsday is coming and is gonna be a hell of ride. Many people will die in this transformation of the world. Those who are awake are the most likely to survive. The truth is already out there, get a piece of it now.
If you want more info dont be scare to ask. My job is to wake up people.

[edit on 29-6-2006 by leo_infowarrior]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   
"let me explain how this universe works.
First, radio technology its not the best way to communicate because one- they have much superior tech, two- there are easier ways to do it. three- if we get something it will problably be from a civilitation similar to ours if not ourselves. Yes there are humans in other planets."

I already established that radio is not the most efficient way to communicate and your second point is pointless "two- there are easier way to do it" which explains absolutly nothing. You also claim humans exist on other planets infact I bet you can't proove it. You also never explained how the universe works....

"Second, there are certain rules the everyone must follow, we all have a place in this universe. As you know people have a destiny which its put for us as a live which we are following. Humans have a right which not many civilitations have. That is our freewill. as we are in earth we can either choose to follow our destiny OR a different life, which is created as we are doing it. That is our right in the universe. A rule very important everybody should know is that ET cannot interfere with human evolution. They cannot get involved in humanity. Even though some of bad ones are doing it. ET aslo will protect us in everyway they can from other hostiles species. Now you know why they dont just come because we wanted to"

You are thinking with to much of an ego... You assume a great many things here as well none of which is relevent to the current discussion topic and you contradict your self... You say ET cannot interfere with our evolution then go on to claim that ET will save us from certain doom. I beleive death is a part of the evolutionary process if we are not mean't to succeed we won't. If ET won't interfere then they will stand back and watch us die.

"Yes there are these sightings and crop circles that are happenig more frequently. The time will come for their coming and it will be in the next years. About 5 or 6. For those saying Yes!!! Seti got contact!!!, let me tell you that right now we are already getting contact and its not with a radio and from SETI. You can too but people these days are not that awake."

Cropcircles in my opinion have been prooven to be pranks in many places. As for UFO's yes I have seen a few in my time but since I won't go ino that now. You claim we are already getting contact but you never specify exactly how. Just like earlier in the post you claim there are easier ways to communicate without specification.

"In conclusion, SETI must have had contact but nothing big to scare us or even impress us all. Contact is already happening and we are also getting information on human history and the universe. Doomsday is coming and is gonna be a hell of ride. Many people will die in this transformation of the world. Those who are awake are the most likely to survive. The truth is already out there, get a piece of it now.
If you want more info dont be scare to ask. My job is to wake up people."

I agree with your SETI conclusions but disagree with the rest. You claim Doomsday is coming and that being 'awake' is the only way to survive. The truth is already out there but you are so far from it well...it's not even funny man.
==========================
If you can't back up the claims you loose all credability. You clearly have no idea what your talking about. Either you are kidding or you are one of the most naive people who has ever posted here. Seriously how stupid do you think we are gimme a freakin break.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
regarding the obsolecense of radio technology...

I'd say that if an alien race wanted to communicate with younger species (e.g. humans), they would almost definitely use radio. The concept is simple enough that even unrefined species such as our own will come across it early in our explorations of reality.

We are admittedly not likely to intercept the internal communications of any advanced species. However, the odds aren't terrible that there are (or have been) a handful of benevolent extraterrestrial individuals (even within an otherwise self-centered species) that made it their life's work to attempt contact with lesser, younger races.

Knowledge of more advanced societies than our own would, I think, prove a great boon in terms of political and cultural affairs here on Earth, and on the homeworld of any other developing sentient beings. This knowledge would give us great hope and even greater aspirations for the future, and would likely help us end the petty internecine prejudices our species bears against itself. Knowing that extraterrestrial life exists would end centuries of uncertainty about the future of humankind, and would give us the practical basis necessary to get off this rock and immortalize our species amongst the stars.

So let's say some alien scientist wants to do this for developing races. Knowing that her own species discovered radio millenia before Superlight Transponders or whatever, this scientist constructs a powerful radio generator, which, using the great technology of her species, is a cinch. She proceeds to send out broadcasts to any listeners that may have cropped up in nearby solar systems, announcing the existence of her race and its stupefying technological advancements.

Just because an alien race has gone beyond radio doesn't mean it can't still be employed, if the need should arise, and communicating with a species that relies on radio is in my opinion just such a need. All that remains is for some person within the alien race to take the initiative of contacting us in the first place, and I like to think that a certain philanthropy would be concomitant with a high degree of technical and social advancement.

by the way-- i'd never even heard of this Greer fellow prior to this thread... hence my first post herein, which apparently struck a couple of you as overly hopeful, or somesuch.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by leo_infowarrior
to Zenem and The_Doctor (or everyone else who wants to be informed):

let me explain how this universe works.
First, radio technology its not the best way to communicate because one- they have much superior tech, two- there are easier ways to do it. three- if we get something it will problably be from a civilitation similar to ours if not ourselves. Yes there are humans in other planets.
Second, there are certain rules the everyone must follow, we all have a place in this universe. As you know people have a destiny which its put for us as a live which we are following. Humans have a right which not many civilitations have. That is our freewill. as we are in earth we can either choose to follow our destiny OR a different life, which is created as we are doing it. That is our right in the universe. A rule very important everybody should know is that ET cannot interfere with human evolution. They cannot get involved in humanity. Even though some of bad ones are doing it. ET aslo will protect us in everyway they can from other hostiles species. Now you know why they dont just come because we wanted to.
Yes there are these sightings and crop circles that are happenig more frequently. The time will come for their coming and it will be in the next years. About 5 or 6. For those saying Yes!!! Seti got contact!!!, let me tell you that right now we are already getting contact and its not with a radio and from SETI. You can too but people these days are not that awake.
In conclusion, SETI must have had contact but nothing big to scare us or even impress us all. Contact is already happening and we are also getting information on human history and the universe. Doomsday is coming and is gonna be a hell of ride. Many people will die in this transformation of the world. Those who are awake are the most likely to survive. The truth is already out there, get a piece of it now.
If you want more info dont be scare to ask. My job is to wake up people.

[edit on 29-6-2006 by leo_infowarrior]

How about you explain yourself a little more clearly, than just stating some "facts" that are different from other experiencers "facts". Thanks

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Doctor:
Sorry if a talked in an egomaniac way. I didnt wanted to look like that, english is not my first language. The only thing I wanted was to talked about something about I know, and I experince, if you or anybody are talking about UFO, you can sure talk with me about that stuff. From what I had experince throgh life I can tell you pretty much my understanding of the ET and UFO matter. Im not askling anybody to believe what I say. If someone says something different from what you say, it doesnt make the person crazy. What is your kind of truth? I want to know. When I talked about the universe I meant the laws, and how this years are being part of a process. I tlaked about those rules. I didnt say they will protect us from Doomsday, but they will protect us from any hostile species and will try to make them not interfere too in human evolution. As you know there are many species. there is a conferedation of planets, that is watching us but will not save us from our own destruction, by that I mean they will not saves us from killing ousevles with stupid nuclear bombs, or any weapons of mass destruction. Humans had been given by god the gift of freewill so they must respect it. Im not asking to believe everything I say but at least be more open minded about others things besides your version. If you dont believe in anything I say, well you can experince it for yourself. here you go www.misionrahma.com... the more you read, the more you'll understand. In letters, I cant prove things I said, also I cant prove god exits, but sorry, everything its not material. sadly, people must see it to believe it.
Im not looking to agree with everybody. that everybody could be wrong, the only thing Im doing is expressing my ideas about the subject. again sorry if I speak with an ego. and sorry if I disagree in some things. this are my beliefs.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join