It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If N. Korea fires missile....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   
...and its trajectory was directed at the United States how do you think
we would react? Would we try to shoot it down? What if we missed?
How much time would we have to react before it hit?

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I don't know how long it would take, but I don't think you'd be able to evacuate any cities in that mcuh time.
Keep in mind that the taepodon (snicker) can only reach parts of the aluetian islands.

If it is on a trajectory where it will hit the US, of course the US will try to shoot it donw, and meanwhile the troops on the DMZ will start shelling NK and crossing over, since launching a missile at the US is an act of war.

I am really skeptical about hitting it while its on the launchpad, it'd simply be an act of war, and I don't think that we are ready to go to war over them having a missile.

If it is headed in the general direction of the US, the US could try to shoot it down. IN fact, it probably should, since the US could use a real world test of its ABM "Sheild" more than the NKs can use a test of any particular missile. IOW, its a great oppurtunity.

TPL

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   
The US would likely shoot it down. From then on we head into unknown territory.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   
North Korea can fire that missile to anywhere in the world; but given the reports of that aircraft carrier near their waters I think it’s a given it will be shot down. It's because of this that I think the missile has not being fired as it would be a bit embarrassing for North Korea; but furthermore could lead to more trouble than they are willing to bargain for.
As for it not being shot down? Then North Korea has a great day of propaganda. As for it being armed and not shot down? Then North Korea discovers the power of capitalism with the dropping of an atomic bomb.

I actually find the North Korean thing quite boring. As last time I checked the leadership wasn’t feeling suicidal. The whole thing is gesture politics; whilst the missile could read "Make Poverty History" it will do nothing to help their request for aid so that they can keep their crappy communism system afloat without the trouble of having to change anything. It's the prospect of change that Kim Chim seems to fear more than the actions of the international community. After all with the exception of China they are to all practical purposes completely cut of.

North Korea can afford to launch this missile even if it is shot down (after all they alone decide what they want to report to their people). But what good it will actually do them is beyond me. As I’ve said before if they want aid without giving up their nuclear programme they should say to the U.S "we have a nuclear bomb for sale; now which is it to be? You or the e.g. Iranians"
The U.S may say "if you sell that thing and they use it we will nuke you" but the fact is they will have no choice but to buy it. This is exactly the sort of crazy solution that would serve a country like North Korea well.

One thing is for certain is that aid can probably do nothing but benefit the North Korean people because their regime has already shown that it is quite capable of surviving whilst making them live completely of the land with no aid, and no international requests for help (Korean famine pre 1995) but also onwards where several million died demonstrates this perfectly well). Although North Korea asked for help after 1995 its clear that this was a practical (rather than a bindingly necessary) thing for them to do.
Whatever we in the West say about their regime it clearly has the ability to send its people back to a time twisted Stone Age; whilst at the same time still maintaining power. And that (and perhaps that alone) is why the North's leadership continues its regime in its communist form.
And if North Korea does launch its missile they would do well to remember that it is more likely to provide much needed propaganda to Bush Administration in Washington than it is to their one in Pyongyang.

[edit on 090705 by Liberal1984]

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liberal1984

North Korea can fire that missile to anywhere in the world

Anywhere in the world? The Taepo-dong-2 has a somewhat limited range compared to ICBMs used in Russia and US.

Theres no way that Korean missile could hit say the UK.

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 05:52 AM
link   
well the chinese are in the process of getting a US distance missile---------theyve already got one which can destroy Paris! Maybe N.Koria are playing the dummy!

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I tend to agree with Liberal1984 on this, if this is a game of chicken, the reality is the US has a long history of not flinching, and a likewise a history of lashing out with extream prejudice when pushed too hard.

It can't be good for North Korea when their best friend in China is telling them to straighten up and shut up.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Colonel Hunt a couple days ago said on the radio show Mancow's Morning Madhouse that the missile the NK's have can reach Chicago with no problem. I dont have a link to back it up or anything becuase it was on the radio, but Colonel Hunt is regularly on FOX news, he might let it slip again.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cylent773
Colonel Hunt a couple days ago said on the radio show Mancow's Morning Madhouse that the missile the NK's have can reach Chicago with no problem. I dont have a link to back it up or anything becuase it was on the radio, but Colonel Hunt is regularly on FOX news, he might let it slip again.

Just my 2 cents.

I heard the same thing, not on the Mancow show (love that guy) but did see 'Midwest' mentioned on Fox. Scary, as I live just North of there. Too far for direct effect, but close enough to 'feel' it.

Wierd thing happened today. Today is opening day for SummerFest (aka world's larget music festival - for those who aren't familiar) and the whole place went 'dead'. Electricity went out for the whole festival, music and all. Nothing, nada. Could hear a pin drop. I'm sure more than one person sh*t their britches over that one.
Power back on in just under 3 hrs.

Cylent, you a SS?

-Sour

[edit on 29-6-2006 by SourGrapes]

top topics

join