It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US seeks to lift export sales ban on F-22A

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   
From Jane's:

US seeks to lift export sales ban on F-22A

The US Congress is poised to lift a ban of almost nine years on export sales of the F-22A Raptor aircraft following a vote to lift the ban in the US House of Representatives on 20 June.

US lawmakers approved an amendment to the 2007 defence appropriations bill that would allow F-22A manufacturer Lockheed Martin to sell the next-generation fighter jet to other countries seeking to upgrade their fighter fleets. Potential customers include Japan and South Korea.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There has been some speculation about this before, but I wasn't aware of that vote by the House. Back in February they mentioned Japan as a potential buyer, see: Air Force Plans to Sell F-22As to Allies.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The good news on this is that our allies will probably be happy that theyre getting what is considered the most advanced fighter ever. The problem is what happens if our allies become our enemies. There goes our ace in the hat.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
They'll probably export downgraded F-22A's with less stealth features, not just to make them affordable, but to also garauntee that the US has the true Ultimate fighter.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
True there is an inherent risk when top line systems are exported but seeing as how only the most stable and loyal allies are being considered at this time that risk IMO is minimal. I don’t expect countries such as Japan, Australia or the UK to become US enemies in the coming years. On a side note, can you imagine the tech transfer nightmare that will accompany such a deal? Picture JSF code dilemma x 10.

[edit on 26-6-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
i want one!!

might have a word with warren buffett to see if he can donate me some money

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The Air Force is trying to find ways to keep the assembly line open for later orders. If they close the line after the last lot, it's over. If they start exporting them, the USAF can sneak in a few more.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Of course, the USAF wants as many Raptors as possible, clearing the Raptor for export would also bring down the production cost of each bird assuming significant numbers are ordered. As it stands now the last F-22 is to be delivered in 08 and the line will stay open until then pending any future orders.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
As SS said export models are ALWAYS "dumbed down". They will have different systems on them than the USAF uses, and won't be as LO as the US version.

top topics

join