It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to feel pain in dreams?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I ask this question because I think the answer is yes. I have had dreams where I have felt pain. They were weird, and I suppose it could of been real pain that somehow my dreams link into, but anyway this is what I have dreamt.

Both recent times I have dreamt I was shot, once In the chest, and I felt pain in my chest, and once in the leg, with pain in my leg.

Is this normal?

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I guess its possible.. if in a dream I experience pain I automatically wake up. Its weird though, because in other dreams I've been shot, had my neck sliced, even broken my neck - but I never felt any pain and the dream continued. Interesting I think, in the dream where my neck was cut I felt no pain, but I did feel a warm sensation from the imaginary blood.

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I've had dreams before where say somebody hurt me, and i'd wake up with a bruise where it was

Which means I could feel the pain from the bruise, and the pain went into my dream sorta
if ya get me

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I guess it would be possible although psychosomatic. Kind of like when you are young and are about to have an innoculation injection and you feel the pain even before the needle touches you.

What I always wanted to know is what a blind person would dream (assuming that they were born blind.)

[edit on 24/6/06 by Creeping Jesus]

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I don't ever recall feeling pain in a dream, but I've felt the anticipation of pain, and then suddenly woken up in fear. Any nightmares I've had are based on being chased and a feeling of impending doom, but I always wake-up before the pain would start, or just before I'm caught by what is chasing me........

Terror is one of the worst ways to start your day.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Yeah I've felt pain numerous times. I'm sure that when you hurt yourself in reality, it is incorporated in your dream...like you said. What puzzles me is how your mind can fit the pain into your dream. If your walking along and you got shot, like you said, it would seem that the brain would have to know that you were going to hurt yourself a while before you did so it could create a story for it. Or maybe when you get hurt, it is a delayed action that works its way into your dream. I would definately like to know how this happens.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I've had dreams were ive felt pain but it seems when i feel pain its when im not thinking about pain what i mean by that is im not pinching my self to see if i feel pain but something happens in that dream that i can't control and it hurts

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I don't have a clue how it works, so I thought someone here might, so thanks for the comments. If anyone finds out please reply...

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I can only remeber one time when I felt pain in my dreams. If I can recall, I either got shot or hit by something on the back of my head. After that I felt this tremendous pain and pressure, I later woke up with the same feeling.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I feel pain in my dreams all the time, not extreme pain, I don't wake up either.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I have felt pain in multiple dreams. Some from Dying from stab/gunshot wounds, others from heartbreak, others from getting poked in the eye lol... I dunno whatelse, but i do know i feel a lot of pain in my dreams.

One specifically was so real i thought i had literally died, I remember getting stabbed multiple times in the abdomen from behind. I felt extreme pain and even the rocks i fell onto after the stabbing. Then saw myself from above, and was taken to heaven. (Imagine my dissapointment apon awaking) The cool part was i awoke as soon as the gates open so all I heard was like a rush of wind saying "WELL DONE GOOD AND FAITHFUL SERVENT" then i cant remember.......ENTER THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN"

One of the most vivid and remembered dreams of my life, actually one of my favs too!

[edit on 2-7-2006 by Scyman]

[edit on 2-7-2006 by Scyman]

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Lucky you, I dream constantly... well, let me change that, everyone dreams constantly, but I remember most of mine; never had spiritual dream though. I never felt pain, either. Not a whole lot of emotion in many of my dreams except for the rare erotic ones and a few times I wept a bit.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I feel pain in my dreams often. I've noticed that the pain, although it's there and cannot be described as anything else, is not as extreme as it would be in real life. Just last thursday I had a dream where I got the crap beaten out of me.
I have to say that I deserved it. I was being a jerk. But the reaction was a bit over the top.

My Story

This guy, someone I know in real life, started relentlessly punching me in the face. I attempted escape, but I was dazed and I could taste blood in my mouth. When he caught me, he pinned me to the floor and said something like he's going to punch me in the face for twenty minutes or until he knocks some teeth out. He gave a third option but I can't remember that one.
Anyway he proceeded to punish me until he knocked some teeth out. it was four actually. All on the bottom set. Afterwards he was quite nice, he helped me up and pointed out he was just teaching me a lesson. I garbled an apology and made my way home, spitting out the loose/lost teeth. The dream went on for some time after that and I can remember having plans for a trip to the dentist the next day. I had accepted the fact that I was going to live without all of my teeth and it didn't seem so bad.
Then i woke up. Man, I was so happy to realise it was just a dream. I couldn't stop feeling my unpunished jaw and smiling. It was great. The point is. I got quite a thumping but was up and functioning in no time. I was functioning badly but I was still moving. I imagine that in real life I would have had a really messed up face, not just some lost teeth and bruising, and would have needed to go to hospital.

[edit on 2-7-2006 by surrender_dorothy]

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I had a wet dream once that was so bad that i felt pain in my loins, I woke up with the pain still there and had to go do something about it....

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
yes it is, I always feel pain in my dreams like Im being shot or stabbed.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
i have felt pain so real that when i wake up in a cold sweat i have 2 check that i wasnt really stabbed or like shot or whatever the situation was... or like when i have a dream where someone gives me a hug or someone who has passed away kisses me or says something to me i can feel the persons warmth,skin, EVERYTHING! i can feel there breath on me as if they were actually whispering something 2 me...i have had dreams so vivid i wake up saying something, crying, giggling, or moving and i cant tell if i woke up or if there is gna b a monster hidding somewhere., ,. i can remember about 85% of my dreams and there all so realll... ah crap i started rambling again... srry g2g

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Yes I have felt pain, not very strong thou, but yes for sure. I also can feel things I touch, feel g-force when I fly, etc etc

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I believe this is possible yes - I personally have not felt pain other than emotional pain from dreams but I have experienced pleasure from some I have had, physically.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Yes...
I have had nightmares my whole life... and since I have dreams every night and most of them are in the nightmare category I tend to not think much of them... unless they are like you described...

When I have dreams I can really feel, I HATE those... they scare so bad I can't sleep the next night, unless I take tranquilizers. And those tend to wipe out all dreams... so it's cool : )

But yeah, being tortured by a demon in a dream is bad enough with out having to feel the pain. You know, having a leg bone ripped out and being eaten alive, chunks being taken out of my side... not a good feeling...

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I've felt physical pain in a dream before, so I definitely believe that you can. The latest dream like that I can remember is one where I got shot during a traffic stop. The really weird thing, though, is that that when I woke up, I had two red marks on my chest, right where the bullets hit me while I was dreaming.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join