It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mankind is not ready for ABSOLUTE TRUTH

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   
[Not sure I am posting this thread in the right category]

I hear a lot of topics discussed here that use the word "TRUTH", and then debate after debate about which truth is THE truth. While it is interesting and thought provoking to participate in such debates, even fun at times, the end result is still NO PROOF that there is ABSOLUTE PROOF of anything. Now this is an opinion based thread so don't go asking me for proof. The evidence is all around you, in the news, in the threads of myriad website topics and discussion boards.

Premise of this Thread:
Personally I don't believe that mankind in general has achieved a high enough level of consciousness yet to be able to understand absolute truth. I will grant a possibility that there are a few souls out there that can, but they would have to prove that to me.

A] Aliens Though I certainly believe that Aliens exist, you would think that after all these years there would be one little piece of tangible evidence. A piece of a ship, some Alien DNA even if only a microbe, some intercepted radio wave… something… anything to show they are or have been visiting us. No matter how good the Gov may be at cover up, something should have got by them. But IF we came up with that absolute irrefutable truth, like a ship landing on the White House lawn, imagine the effect on the planet.

B] Religion Thousands of years have gone by in Human development and we are no closer to the truth here. Many gods have fallen by the way side and replaced by still new gods. Even today there are several. While it can certainly be argued that it is one God, just that he appears to different people in different forms, there is no way to either prove or disprove that he exists. Yet over the years millions have died as a result of the "Your Truth is wrong, my truth is right," type of mentality. That is going on all around the world today with ever increasing fervor. Have we learned nothing from the past? How many more must suffer and die in the search for the Absolute Truth in Religion? Same thing here on effect of absolute proof. If it were proven that one God was the only God, how do you convince the rest> and if proven that no God existed…utter chaos!

C] Science When a scientist makes a discovery and proclaims it to be Truth, it usually tumbles when the next scientist comes along and busts it apart with his NEW Truth.

Here is a good place to quote Arthur C. Clarke's laws:

#1 "When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong."
#2 "The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible."
#3 "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

By scientist I include all branches, especially archeologists. [They are my pet peeve… I will get into that later [Why do cave paintings have to be anything more than doodles of a caveman with nothing but time on his hands while hiding in that dark cold cave during winter with nothing else to do? Remember no TV back then]

D] Psychics Etc Show me one that has won a lottery [yes I know about using powers for personal gain… you mean they are all honest?] Where are the predictions of major catastrophes BEFORE they happen, in time to do some good? Surely something of that magnitude would cause more than a ripple in the space-time continuum?

E] Death while it is a subcategory of religion I list it separately. Everyone always says nothing is sure but death and taxes. That statement alone means that most people at least give lip service to the fact that nothing else is real. Now taxes can be exempt for some, ignored by others but I hardly would list that in a list of Cosmic Truths anyway. But Death is another issue. Is death the end? Well from a strictly physical matter view, where does the matter go? Back into the universe? Then eventually down a black hole, to come out where? From a spiritual sense, if you are an atheist, the grave is it; if you are religious then life goes on in some form. Again no Absolute Truth here. Only way to know is to die, then come back and report to us with full documentation.

What I state here is perhaps obvious to most, but I think its what's at the root of all problems facing humanity, the inability to tolerate someone else's viewpoint and the incessant need to "BE RIGHT". If a person doesn't accept YOUR truth, he/she will be debated at length, ridiculed, personally attacked, or at the extreme tortured into belief [Inquisition]. And if all that fails… well lets get together a bunch of cronies, pick up our swords or guns or bombs and scream Crusade or Jihad and go show them what's RIGHT!

[Stepping off the Soap Box now…]

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Perception is also a huge factor in what someone believes. We all see things differently and sometimes it's really hard to be completely detached and rational in your thinking-even when you really think you are. Basically there's almost always some bit of emotion attached to what you think. Some more, some less than others. But there usually always is; the exception being the REALLY hardcore facts like H2O is water etc. It's certainly good to try and be as rational and broadminded as possible. I certainly try. But it can also be really difficult. I don't know if anything I said made any sense or not

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   
one once said

"its good to keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out"

if you really really think about it, you could pretty much make a conspiracy out of just about anything. And if you were too open minded, you would probably believe in everything. Personally i tend to believe in the possibility of things that are unknown or unseen, but until i myself see or experience proof, i'll always have my doubts. Skeptism isnt a bad thing. I'm sure a lot of people who dont think aliens exist (for example) dont necessarily think that its impossible for there ever to be other life forms in the universe...its just that their not convinced by todays arguments and "evidence" (I'm not claiming they do or dont exist, just and example) Hey, different strokes for different folks, just remember that for some questions there is no answer

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   

the exception being the REALLY hardcore facts like H2O is water etc.

Ah but see even that is not quite true H2O can be called dihydrogen oxide, which effectively is hydrogen "rust" so from now on you can tell your friends they are drinking a glass of rusty hydrogen

H20 is also Vapour and Ice

Its all a matter of perception. No Absolute single all covering TRUTH

new topics

top topics

join