It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cholera in Darfur Sudan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
In Darfun and out break of cholera is threatening 2.5 million people living in the refugee camps. This began in late January and has killed 516 people with more then 13,800 cases.

www.medicalnewstoday.com
Between 21 April and 18 June 2006, the Federal Ministry of Health (FMoH) has reported a total of 2007 cases, including 77 deaths (case fatality rate, CFR=3.8%) of acute watery diarrhoea in 9 out of 15 states in northern Sudan. Of these cases 35.3% (CFR=4.9%) have occurred in Khartoum state, while 26% have occurred in North Kordofan state. The remaining cases have occurred in White Nile, South Darfur, South Kordofan, Kassala, Red Sea, Al Gezira and River Nile. The overall CFR during this period is 3.8%.

The National Public Health Laboratory of the FMoH has confirmed the isolation of Vibrio cholerae 01 Inaba in 70 out of 139 stool samples (50%) collected so far from these states.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Of the hundred of thousands of the native population that the Gov of Sudan has managed to kill and the much greater numbers that fled there land to escape the horrific violence and the forth coming genocide to possibly survive, they now must battle with a biological killer. Cholera does spread in close knit populations and will kill if untreated. Service agencies are trying to contain the out break by education and treating the public water supplies. No where did I read that this out break is the next step in the attempted genocide of the Gov. of Sudan, but what the Gov. of Sudan did not in seems the Cholera will at least continue.

Related News Links:
hisz.rsoe.hu
www.sudantribune.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
UN chief urges action over Darfur (from ATSNN)
NEWS: U.S. Walks Out as Sudan Elected to U.N. Rights Body.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   
This isn't news. The indigenous population of Africa is suffering incredible mortality rates from diseases that we take for granted in our world. Those of us that enjoy an Internet connection and a computer in our home, have no conception of the unbelievable hardships suffered daily on that continent.

It diminishes my soul to know that this happens, and I don't know how to reverse it.

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I know desise is more commen there then in modern parts of the world but this is compounded because of pepole forced out of the villiges and into refugee camps. This desise may not be truely man made but this one is defently caused by man.

new topics

join