It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

has anyone heard of this creature?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   

The tatzelwurm is a dragon-like beast reported from the Alps of Switzerland, plus nearby Austria and France, where is is often known by different names. The tatzelwurm looks something like a lizard or snake. It has smooth hairless skin covered with delicate scales. The tatzelwurm can grow to at least six feet long, but some specimens, possibly juveniles, are considerably smaller. It has two small front legs, and its hind legs are either missing or vestigal. Its head is the most distinctive part of its body. The tatzelwurm's head has big eyes and looks remarkably like the head of a cat, except for it having scales instead of fur. This feline look is remarked on by almost all witnesses, and it firmly links it with the dragon tradition. Dragon's heads are most often compared to the heads of cats and horses as far as the overall shape goes.

this creature sounds freaky.

Reports of these creatures have become very rare, so cryptozoologists think that, if the tatzelwurm did exist in the first place, it may be extinct today. Speculations on what it might have been center on lizards, salamanders, snakes and otters. Some salamanders have vastly shriveled legs, so perhaps the tatzelwurm was a giant salamander that was once native to the European Alps, an equivalent creature to known giant salamanders that are found in mountainous regions. With hind legs atrophied to almost nothing, it would have been aqapted to be far more comfortable in the water than most salamanders, but with still-existing front legs, it could get about on land if it really had to. Perhaps it was considered a mythical creature because it was usually hidden underwater and seldom came out to be encountered by people. This would fit in well with characteristics of the legends, as known species of salamander tend to be glimped rarely, and some known salamanders, such as the American mud puppy, have almost the status of legend.

Has anyone heard of this Cryptid?
to me it sounds a little out there but you never know this thing may actually exsist and if it does i wonder what other weird and wonderful things are out there just waiting to be discoved. pity there are no pictures of it

SOURCE

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Good find

I'm going to look into this, i'll make sure to post if i find anything interesting.

EDIT: I guess this would be the Tatzelwurm

Does this creature go by any other name ? .. Cause i've seen that picture before.

[edit on 23-6-2006 by The Juvey]

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   
The other names for this creature seem to be "Stollenworm (Tunnel Worm), Bergstutzen (Mountain Stump), Springwurm (Jumping Worm), Daazelwurm and Praatzelwurm (name for it in other Alpine regions besides the aforementioned areas), and Arassas (called this near the French Alps)." Taken from the wikipedia entry.

Im really curious about this i will research it further and post any interesting findings in this thread.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   
hmmmmm im not sure, reptiles wouldn't do well at the high altitudes or the cold climate of the alps. looks cool though

EDIT: if you think about it, most european reptiles, save a few snakes, are very small. larger reptiles as in the description thrive in warm southern climates i.e. crocs, gators, komodo dragons and the like. (also the very large snakes)

[edit on 23-6-2006 by bodieman]

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 03:46 AM
link   
thanks everyone for responding i found a little more info on it, found another picture

Tatzelwurms are also known as Stollenwurms and as Springwurms because of their leaping abilities. One report has a farmer killing a tatzelwurm that had been hibernating. The blood flowed freely from its mouth, but was green instead of red.

In 1924 a 5 foot long skeleton was found that resembled a lizard. Some have come to view the tatzelwurm as a giant size member of the otter family or a giant sized Asian salamander. It has also been considered a relative of the American gila monster. It is true that sightings in recent years have been rare, but this does not detract from their past or current existence.

Living in the crevices of the Alps is pretty much a guarantee of existing. Their ability to hibernate in the extreme cold allows them to survive the elements. As to surviving the human race, well, just the fact that they live in the crevices of the Alps would insure a few of their kinds survival. The depth of all the crevices is unknown and most of the crevices have not been explored. Hmmm, like the ocean and outer space these crevices may never be fully explored as to their depths, where they go, or what dwells within their dark

SOURCE

still unsure about this things though, maybe the description of this thing has been exagerated abit, i still think its entirly possible that somthing like this could survive.

been digging about maybe its something called a Ajolote?

Mexican reptile of the genus Bipes. It and several other tropical burrowing species are placed in the Amphisbaenia, a group separate from lizards and snakes among the Squamata. Unlike the others, however, which have no legs, it has a pair of short but well-developed front legs. In line with its burrowing habits, the skull is very solid, the eyes small, and external ears absent.

source

another possibility of this creature is some sort of ancient snake that hasnt lost its limbs?

Primitive snakes — such as, pythons and boa constrictors — do have nub-like legs beneath their skins and tiny, half-inch claws that protrude out above the nubs but nestle close to their bellies near the anus. Actually, even the nubs are not legs but rather a remnant of upper-leg (thigh or femur) bones. The males still use the spurs — but only during courtship and fighting — not to walk. No other snakes have legs.

Whichever evolutionary path snakes took — by land or by sea — snakes lost their legs.

source

again im just looking at all the possibilities, maybe the description of the tatzelwurm has been exaggerated over time etc i dont know but im gonna keep poking around see if i can come up with any more info
]

[edit on 033030p://51063 by ronishia]

[edit on 033030p://52063 by ronishia]

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Some have come to view the tatzelwurm as a giant size member of the otter family or a giant sized Asian salamander. It has also been considered a relative of the American gila monster.

a mammal would be slightly more believable because again the asian salamander and american gila monster thrive in very warm teperatures at relatively low elevations. although if it were a member of the otter family (mustlids) you would think we would see more otters without hind limbs. also high mountains arent very good conditions for an almost eniterly aquatic mammal

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodieman
also high mountains arent very good conditions for an almost eniterly aquatic mammal

yes very true id thought of that, but what about deep crevises, caves with an underground water source? deffinatly somthing to think about

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   
thats true and that would explain rare sightings.

edit:///

the second image is a mud puppy but the third is a more likely subject. any of the species in switzerland?

[edit on 24-6-2006 by bodieman]

mammals dont have green blood so either that farmer is lying or its not a mammal

[edit on 24-6-2006 by bodieman]

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
my best guess is that it was a lynx that lost its hind legs. thats usually how these things get started.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodieman
my best guess is that it was a lynx that lost its hind legs. thats usually how these things get started.

Lynx can survive without their hind legs? In mountains?

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   
not very long, but long enough for some farmer to see it.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   
skeletal structure

That's something. It looks more like a sea creature, skeletally.
But it's claws remind me of: Deinonychus
Makes me wonder exactly how full a skeleton we've foud of the critter...and if we assembled it back together right.

new topics

top topics

join