It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cthulhu??

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I seem to remember someone posting about a movie that is being made which may concern the Cthulhu.

It was only a couple of months ago, should be easy to find. (too energetically challenged to do it )

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Cthulhu is the Bloop
Well maybe not, but funny how Bloop and Lovecraft's coordinates for R'lyeh arnt that far apart. Maybe Lovecraft was a medium of Cthulhu's madness or at least a Polynesian squid god, Kanaloa or Tangaroa.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Thats what I was thinking about.

I couldn't remember what the topic was.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Cthulhu is a creature that was MADE UP by H.P. Lovecraft. also the band Cradle of Filth makes a song about it

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
i find this quote below from from the section of lovecraft's wikipedia page very fitting for ats. i guess a common theme for lovecraft was peoples desire to know the big picture and their inability to handle it.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 09:03 PM
link   
double post. sorry

[edit on 11/26/2007 by homeskillet]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Seriously, if you have not, look up the 'Bloop'.
Cthulhu is a giant cephalopodan creature that has lived beneath the Pacific ocean since before our time.

the 'Bloop' is a sound made from an "animal" bigger than anything that has ever recorded making a noise from the uncharted bottom of the Pacific ocean unlike anything ever documented.

Cthulhu, in Lovecraft's stories, is said to begin its attack subconsciously. Maybe this post is a sign... oooooooh.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by StevenHigginbotham
Cthulhu is a fictioious alien god (amongst other gods) that lies dreaming in a city at 47°9′S, 123°43′W in the southern Pacific Ocean, that is also 50 nautical miles south of Austalia.

P.S. I've seen references to zombies and the Cthuloid Deities, the only god that turns people into zombies or a zombie like state is Glaaki.

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
Cthulhu is the Bloop
Well maybe not, but funny how Bloop and Lovecraft's coordinates for R'lyeh arnt that far apart. Maybe Lovecraft was a medium of Cthulhu's madness or at least a Polynesian squid god, Kanaloa or Tangaroa.

en.wikipedia.org...

Yup. 47°9′S, 123°43′W in the southern Pacific Ocean

Very strange that this is in the same area that the famous underwater "Bloop" originated from.
Now THAT'S strange.

What are the odds?

[edit on 27-2-2009 by SumnerKagan]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Venoaris

Ia Ia Cthulhu Ftagn!

He is most active during the spring and summer months. He works in dreams

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Beware his emissary the King in Yellow!

On a side note, anyone here play the Arkham Horror games based on the Lovecraftian mythos?

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Just because...

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Its a octopus like monster in several of H.P. Lovecrafts stories, hes a god that lies dormant in an underwater city.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by donk_316

Originally posted by lilwolf
Is this the same creature (?) that is mentioned in the Necronomicon?

Could be since Lovecraft created them both.

lovecraft didnt come up with the idea of the necronomicon, its a real book written a long time ago by some guy called the mad arab, ive actually read through alot of it, its not as interesting as it was made to seem in the evil dead and army of darkness though it is cool just to have, also h.p. lovecraft exagerated alot about the book itself

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
The Necronomicon you have read is not the True Necronomicon.

Only three copies survive. If you had one, the odds are good that we'd all already know it.

(the fun part about cosmic horror in general, and Lovecraft in particular, is how easy it all is to believe. the parts of the Human mind filled with shadows and darkness are all too easily brought suddenly into stark definition by well-crafted fiction.)

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
You should read some Lovecraft stories to get a better understanding of Cthulu.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Cthulhu is described as being gigantic, (think Godzilla-size), having the body of a Dragon, with small bat-like wings, and a large head that is a combination of Dragon and Octopus, complete with Tentacles hanging from the face.

He is actually the High-Priest of the Pantheon of Lovecraft's Space Gods.
Cthulhu was complete fiction, totally created from H.P., but some of his other creations, such as Dagon, were based on actual Gods that had been worshipped by man.

Cthulhu was the high priest, and yes, most of the other space-deities were truly cosmic and monstrous in power, size, dimensions, etc.

Remember, these things weren't just "monsters". These things were always described as being able to move through different dimensions, rule over, or capable of destroying entire universes, and being equally "Godlike" in Intelligence, (and Madness).

In "comic book" terms, think "Galactus", "the Watcher", "the Beyonder". Only, dark, dark, dark and Crazy.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by UruFist]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashanu90
lovecraft didnt come up with the idea of the necronomicon, its a real book written a long time ago by some guy called the mad arab, ive actually read through alot of it, its not as interesting as it was made to seem in the evil dead and army of darkness though it is cool just to have, also h.p. lovecraft exagerated alot about the book itself

The Mad Arab, Abdul Alhazred, is also a creation of Lovecraft. First clue, Abdul Alhazred isn't actually an Arabic name. Alhazred, the Necronomicon, Cthulhu, the Elder Gods, the Old Ones and R'lyeh are ALL a part of Lovecraft's fiction; fiction which Lovecraft willingly allowed to be used by other writers in order to build a more robust and substantial lore.

And while I am sure you have read the Necronomicon, I very much doubt it is the actual Necronomicon...what with it being an idea and not a thing. There are lots of different horror books, 'spell' books etc which all carry the name nowadays.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
THE CTHULHU THREAD HAS RISEN AGAIN!

The sky is right and the stars are aligned!

TAKE ME OH MASTER!

DESTROY ME FIRST!!!

Now that the great Elder has returned...ATS shall quake!

MADNESS SHALL BE LAW!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
You can't keep an good insane space squid down.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join