It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US has found some 500 Chemical Weapons in Iraq

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   
The only news source!! If it is going to happen we hear it first....Period

Originally posted by REASON
this should be big news. why is it not being picked up by the major news sources??

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   
So you consider chemicals that were used before 1991, sold to Saddam by Bush Sr. and Donald Rumsfeld, that were now about as dangerous as old pudding except old pudding would have more mold, are proof of WMDS? You must have very low expectations of what proof is. How about a Nuclear Warhead with a "Made in 2001" on it? You know, something dangerous, that wasn't sold to Saddam by Bush Sr. and Donald Rumsfeld?

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Did Cheney finally find the WMD receipts from the '80s? Oh, and finding depleted uranium rounds in some Iraqis' attic doesn't count because they were probably put there -one way or another- by the US.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 12:35 AM
link   
It's funny how these weapons don't matter because they are from the first gulf war and inactive still not evidence of a WMD program. Or so I seen on CNN anyway earlier on the situation room.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I tried to get it from a source those who don't like Fox would consider "reliable" - but Dan Rather and CBS didn't have it.

Everyone knows CBS wouldn't run a story that wasn't 100% checked for truthfulness!

Anyway, back on topic

Santorum and Hoekstra released a newly declassified military intelligence report that said coalition forces have found 500 munitions in Iraq that contained degraded sarin or mustard nerve agents, produced before the 1991 Gulf War.

Saddam was in violation of the sanctions from the 1991 war by being in possession of any of these agents. They were all supposed to have been destroyed.

[edit on 6/22/2006 by eaglewingz]

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Hmmm... does the word 'degraded' mean anything to anyone?

The reason the Bush Administration is not making a big deal out of this is that there's not much of a story there. And, in fact, the more you dig into it, the more you find American fingerprints all over the "WMDs" dating to 1989 and prior.

It almost seems like a bad joke to sell something to a government you're propping up, then demonize them when it becomes politically expedient, bomb them to the edge of the stone age, and then, 12 years later, bomb and invade them again... using the stuff sold to them 15/+ years before as the excuse.

A screenwriter couldn't get away with that plot on an "A Team" episode.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 01:36 AM
link   
If you guys want some answers on biological weapons and their ability to deteriorate rapidly when exposed to sunlight or any other facts regarding these issues rather than hyperbole about the "threat" or the "fear" of attack by Iraq with so called chemical weapons you should take a moment to visit: www.sunshine-project.org... or www.freefromterror.net... and you'll find that no matter what people whom claim they were there say there are others that have far more knowledge about these kinds of weapons and the real threat that government funded forward thinking bio-weapons are a threat not in Iraq but in your own backyard. In other words the threat from these doesn't come from "terrorists" in lands far away but right here in the establishment and the DOD. Not only can people undermine and defeat them as was done in the Anthrax case but indeed it is the only "real threat" besides a Stephen King like "Stand" event, which either meant or not is 100 times more dangerous than a nuke power plant in your backyard, just say no to the new "bioweapons arms race" or it's propaganda of "foreign threats" from chemical weapons. Odds are and I'm not a betting man regardless if an event occurs it will have come out of an American lab like the last one against the democratic senators and the TV and media brodcastors that is still under investigation, despite the fact it helped incite the ridiculous patriot act that is being used to line the pockets of defense contractors and "fear" based industries cashing in on the "war on terror".

You can also read up on Ft.Detrick in Frederick Md. at baltimorechronicle.com...
President Bush's $7 billion annual budget for bioweapons research will incite a brand-new bioweapons arms race, besides being a colossal waste of taxpayers' money.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 02:06 AM
link   
this is what happens when you get your news from fox (faux?) news

OMG 1 line post!

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 02:22 AM
link   
holy chrap.

2500+ dead us military service men.

500 dead wmd's.

cost evaluation:
5:1 dead man to dead machine ratio.

i thought we'd do better than that.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Isn't the title of this thread rather misleading? Should a mod change it, perhaps?

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 02:32 AM
link   
As someone who has bashed Bush on many occasions (and will continue to do so) I would like to say this: nothing would make me happier than to find WMDs in Iraq that are justification for the lives we have lost.

This report, and these WMDs do not qualify that. We were told that "the smoking bomb [will] become a mushroom cloud". Those same words were used by Cheney, Bush, Rice, Rumsfeld and Powell in the lead up to this war. They were not speaking about left over munitions in some bunker somewhere that may or may not be life-threatening. they spoke of currently operating factories. Mobile factories. Rumsfeld said, word for word, "We know where they are".

This does not justify the Iraq War. This does not fufill the promises that were made to us before the invasion. These munitions are worthless. Not only are the sarin/mustard agents degraded, they require very specific equipment in order to use them. You can't just unscrew the top of a shell and pour the stuff on someone. You need a special kind of launcher, and you need extensive training on how to operate them, and they need special technicians for both the equipment and the munitions themselves. There is no mortar launcher that bin Laden is going to set up in the middle of Manhattan and fire into a crowd. Nor does any terrorist organization have ICBM capabilities to hit the US from the Middle East.

This information, though interesting, still has no relevance. It is unfortunate.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 02:45 AM
link   
wow.... talk about the supreme and utterly sickening anti climax of an average lifetime.... GUESS what guys we found WMD's we sold to iraq two decades ago....

What an amazing moral victory we have scored, thousands on both sides dead to recover already nearly inert bio weaps we handed out like trick or treat candy in the first place.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by astral_ice
wow.... talk about the supreme and utterly sickening anti climax of an average lifetime.... GUESS what guys we found WMD's we sold to iraq two decades ago....

What an amazing moral victory we have scored, thousands on both sides dead to recover already nearly inert bio weaps we handed out like trick or treat candy in the first place.

Amen Brother

Does anyone have any idea how moronic Hoekstra/Santorum look like?
Let's start with the obvious. Everyone is going to bash them in the head. And Alan Colmes tore Santorum a new one on Hannity and Colmes

He's scared out of his mind because he's 18 points behind. And you know why? Because Republicans are so naive and clueless to what Americans want in leadership on Washington. The Democrats aren't quite there yet. Let's put it this way

GOP is on Pluto
And Democrats are lost on the Moon

Closer distance to reality is with the Democrats.

ANYONE who tries to say this is the evidence for WMD's. You should be immediately slapped with a glove dowsed in babypowder repeatedly. But alas since that can't be a reality. I want you to do me a favor. Please get up from your recliner and take a tray out from your kitchen and just keep banging yourself in the forehead repeatedly. And repeat this with me like a mantra (Think Mel Brooks History of the World where the monks hit themselves in the head in Spanish Inquisition scene)

"Im sorry for voting for a war that has no zero sum gain for America"

Im sorry for supporting a war in which I allowed No Bid Contracts for all corporations
without any oversight or accountability and thus putting our soldiers in danger
with their presence being there in full view.

Im sorry for supporting a administration that has cut Veteran Benefits the most in history and I don't even flinch when I say that 3 word trite slogan bumper sticker "Support DAH TRUUUPS" and see the utter rank hypocrisy

Im sorry for supporting a war and all I can offer for a rebuttal is "We're fighting em over there so we don't have to fight em here"

Im sorry for continuing to bash a dead horse "Blame the Liberal Media"

Im sorry for not seeing that War Crimes are stacked to the gills for this administration and it's policies in Iraq.

Im sorry for not seeing the bigger picture of 20 million vets having their private information stolen

Im sorry for letting the 14 points of Fascism emerge right in front of our eyes.

Because right now you have to admit sooner or later to yourself you got duped hardcore on all levels for this debacle. And stop pretending like you think Cheney and Bush and Rumsfeld give a crap about Iraqi's. Look at their humanitarian record it's not that good.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 03:54 AM
link   
"GOP is on Pluto
And Democrats are lost on the Moon

Closer distance to reality is with the Democrats." == MRGERBIK

I believe you have the moons confused. They are both in the same
ballpark, thus it is Charon. Depending on orbital position, their
position in reality gets swapped.

[edit on 22-6-2006 by nightwing]

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 04:09 AM
link   
How is the title misleading!?!?!

Read the report mate it says that since 2003 the USA has found over 500 WMD's in Iraq. The title says pretty much the same thing (minus the 2003 date).

For crying out loud. Every time you anti-bush hippies get proven wrong you never argue back... all you do is TWIST the original story and argue against a story that you practically made up.

WMD's found in Iraq... you all said there wasn't, but there was. You = wrong. Live with it.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I'm just wondering if they were found in one of those sites that the UN had under lock and key until we invaded, then they were looted before we secured them. then when our troops went to investigate the looting, hey, these were the weapons that were rejected by the terrorists as worthless....
.....sorry, but well.....this story does seem to pose more questions than it attempts to answer. if they actually did find wmd's, no one is gonna convince me that they wouldn't be announcing it to the world!!! not, labeling it as top secret until election time is around the corner and they're all shaking in their boots worrying that their poll numbers could hit the single digits! I think there is more to this story that isn't being said. and it wouldn't surpise me one bit that it's that these weapons were originally held under lock and key to begin with....until we invaded.

by the way...can we sell mexico some nerve agent next, and invade them next month for having wmds?

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Again people these are just munitions (mortar bombs or artillery shells).

They contained mustard (blister agent) or sarin (nerve gas).

They're not missiles, and certainly not bio weapons.

Even the worst of these (sarin-filled artillery) shells would be a relatively minor inconvenience to a modern army.

Even if there were 500 of such shells (and there weren't) it's not an adequate amount to provide an effective barrage over a 1 mile front for more than half a day (mustard is persistent - sarin isn't)

In military terms this is piddling amount - as the guy from the DoD acknowledged

Key word is degraded

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I'd like to remind people of Powell's presentation in UN. That was shown as reason to go to war.

www.whitehouse.gov...

Found any real evidence abot that? Didn't think so.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 07:09 AM
link   
It amazes me that the President and CIA can hide this information for years, after printing a report that says something exactly opposite only 2 years ago, and nobody seems to care.

This isn't a partisan issue. The question here is how can unelected officials in the US federal government hide this information for years from our elected officials, and why is the president helping the coverup?

Do Bush haters not find it even the least bit strange this information was being concealed by the Bush administration? From the interviews of Rick Santorum, his biggest obsticle was the Bush administration. What are they covering up?

There must be some major details in that report, anything from reciepts from Rumsfeld to Russian involvement, the information must be pretty critical if the Bushys have gone this far for 2+ years to conceal information about WMD in Iraq.

What is even more amazing, no one in the US media seems to care, it is barely getting any play except by the partisans, who are too busy chest thumping thier agenda to ask any legitimate questions.

Virtually every good source so far has been TV, Radio, and Blogs. You can't even find the story on major news sites in the US. People act like the media is some big left wing liberal thing, but if that is true, why are they burying the story if that is exactly what Bush wants?

Something smells awefully fishy about this, and the rush to judgement partisans on both sides have become useless to the process of open government and democracy.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Plus, this 'news' was flagged up by Rick Santorum on Fox. Anyone seen Santorum's poll results recently? Oops, you can't, they're down a very deep hole. The man's way adrift in the polls and getting increasingly desperate.
Boo hoo.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join