It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NK seeks talks with the US.

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   
North Korea have said they will halt the planned missile test if the US agrees to direst talks.

North Korea hinted Wednesday that it would halt any plans to test a long-range missile if the U.S. agreed to direct talks, as a former South Korean president scrapped plans to visit the North because of its apparent moves toward a launch.

Tensions in the region have soared following intelligence reports that the North has fueled a ballistic missile believed capable of reaching U.S. territory. The U.S. and Japan have said they could consider sanctions against the impoverished country if it goes ahead.
Source: www.foxnews.com...

What do you reckon? A good idea or not? Should the US talk or do you think the NK's are out of order demanding anything?

The US has refused in the past to hold bi-lateral talks with NK over it's nuclear developement, do you think this will be any different?

CX.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 06:07 AM
link   
NK is trying to blackmail the USA. I hope we don't fall for it, doing that will just make thing around the world bad for us(USA).

They(NK) were in a six nation talks and wouldn't let the talks go anywhere.

NK's Kim is a strange little man.

Roper

CX

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Haha suprise suprise, Fox News has just reported that the warships that just happened to be on an exercise over there, have now positioned themselves of the coast of NK ready to shoot down this missile! Thats apparently why the NK leader is now in a hurry to talk.

CX.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 08:59 AM
link   
"US rules out direct talks with North Korea " Yahoo news

They said no way dude.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
It seems we are close to finding out just how crazy the lead of NK is. I am glad we are holding firm and not allowing him to blackmail us. This country, like Iran are the true threats to the security of the United States. Our focus right now is too much on oil rich nations and too little on the crazies who think they are on missions from God (or are a God themselves).

Okay I realize Bush might think God put him in as president but by now I am sure he realized it was actually the supreme court...

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I believe, as mentioned in another thread, that the best course of action with NK is to simply ignore them. The whole premise behind the threat of a missile launch is a volley for attention. Kim Jong-il needs to feel like he's playing with the big boys so to speak. He's grown tired of sitting at the little kids table. We don't need talks with NK. What do they have to offer us? Extortion attempts are pointless, and threats are meaningless without the capability to carry them out, and NK doesn't appear to have the capability, especially with 3 battlegroups twiddling their thumbs off the coast. At this point in time, the biggest problem we face with NK seems to be the possibility that we may have to spend a few bucks shooting down one of the most expensive pieces of equipment Jim Jong has. Not that the message will be clear to the little troll in charge, but we can't keep flies out of the house by yelling at them either. We just swat 'em when they bug us.

Then, there's always the possibility that we are the ones who don't know what we're getting into. No matter what the cover of the book looks like, you don't know whats inside until you read it, and it's tough to read when most of the chapters are missing.

new topics

top topics

join