It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NONE UK planes in RAF service?

page: 1

join
share:
RAB

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 01:39 AM
link   
HI guy's I'm back been away for a bit (work :-( )

How ever just found this link!

www.airliners.net...

Any other source I'd think it's all balls, but I'm just wondering if we operate any foriegn none acknowlegde aircarft??

RAB

Mod Edit: Cleaned Up Link.

[edit on 21/6/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 02:36 AM
link   
No RAB, it isn't all balls (
) but it is wierd seeing a Dornier in RAF markings isn't it.

That is one of 10 ex-Luftwaffe Alpha Jets acquired by QINETIQ, two of which are used by the ETPS, when the RAF needed all its Hawks back, the second hand Alpha Jets were much cheaper than buying new Hawks.

RAB

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Waynos, are there any other foreign bit's that we fly?

And as for that piccy just odd!!

RAB

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
The fortunes of war often throw up some unusual arrangements. The RAF flew at least one captured Argentine Pucara for evaluation purposes in the 1980s.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Well,

Dunno about fixed wings but I think you folks picked up a Gazelle and an AB-214 from the Argentinians, the latter of which ended up in SAR duties somewhere. I also recall rumours of a half wrecked Pucara getting 'tested' before donation to the WARM along with maybe a T-34C, both off Pebbles or GG. I know a fair bunch of their 35mm flak ended up in the RAF for awhile.

As to the Alphajet, it's always had tighter lines and more dartlike appealing aesthetics than the Hawk and while I think the shoulder wing layout would look better in the new tactical greys or even the old red-white-blue RAE layer cake schemes rather than this dated Centfront Gecko camouflage, 'it's all good' compared to the snouted sloth appearance of the new .127 LIFTs.

As to naf looking jets-

www.airliners.net...

THAT is just 'plane' weird.

KPl.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
No no, its Beautiful!!

Yes, a pair of Pucaras were flown for a while in RAF markings and wearing UK serials in the 'ZD' range.

An Argentine Chinook was registered ZA670 and added to teh RAF's existing fleet.

A couple of Agusta 109's were captured and operated for many years by the SAS, being only recently replaced by new build ones. (What we find, we keep
)

Thats what I know of anyway.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Not captured, but I know for years the RAF used Lockheed L1011s for tankers/airlift. Not sure where they are now though.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
They're still in service, for the time being, alongside the VC-10'S
I think they were all ex BA and Pan Am Tristar 500's.

www.raf.mod.uk...

[edit on 21-6-2006 by waynos]

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
You guys still have the 10s? I used to love seeing those things sitting out there at Hickam. They were so cool looking to me. I'm glad to see you guys are still flying them.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Here ya go then Zap, my treat

[edit on 21-6-2006 by waynos]

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Thanks man! I don't care how old they are, those are still some great looking planes.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I thought of a caption for the upper photo;

Captain to co-pilot in foreground - " Just go and give the engines a spin at full power Hoskins, theres a good chap, I'll get those bloody peasants off my aeroplane one way or another"

"Yes Captain"

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   
*laugh* I can just see that happening. Bloody peasents.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   
My answer for this thread is no.
The Harrier and Hawk100/200 has still being service in RAF

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 01:56 AM
link   
You misunderstood the question emile, but thats understandable as RAB meant 'non-UK' aircraft, as in planes that aren't British or with no UK content, but he spelt it wrong

new topics

top topics

join