It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This school in Mass. uses electro-shock punishment on it's students

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   
NY Report denounces shock use at school.

I can't begin to put into words how fd' up I think that is. Man, I am absolutely disgusted right now.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   
well it is a little extreme but im bettting the school board voted for it meaning that school has one bad bunch of kids

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Its a hard one, But i do think you have to read both pages of this artical fully before making your mind up,

When i first read a bit i was like "What!" but reading to the end kinda makes me feel like i would need to look in to the treatment a little more before making a judgement on this,

This school has saved my daughter's life," said Marcia Shear of Long Island, whose 13-year-old daughter, Samantha, used to punch herself in the head so often that she detached both retinas.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
yea shock treatment is a good fix for tourrettes (sp)

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Sorry it took a while to respond, been busy.

I don't know much at regarding shock therapy, so maybe my impressions are wrong on this and it just didn't sound right to me. What the article made it appear like is that this medical treatment which I believe is meant to be administered by professionals in a medical environment, is being used as a form of discipline by anyone in the institution who has interaction with these students.

Eh?

[edit on 23-6-2006 by vinrock]

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I don't know, it stinks of Psychiatry. Smells like something rotting. I was stunned when I first read of it. It may not be quite as psychotic as electroshock therapy, but it just seems like we are heading in a bad direction with this.

A** holes allready try to get your kids on Ritalin in school, now they want to zap them. WTF is going on? I'm not Pavlov's dog and you won't be experementing on me.

Troy

[edit on 24-6-2006 by cybertroy]

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 12:14 AM
link   
That facility does not sound like a school, it sounds like a lab.

Put wires on my daughter? It's time for a baseball bat.

NN

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Amen NN! What's the deal with the world sometimes?

Troy

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
A** holes allready try to get your kids on Ritalin in school, now they want to zap them. WTF is going on? I'm not Pavlov's dog and you won't be experementing on me.

Troy

Man, the people i've known... I feel lucky that i'd regularly refuse the Ritalin because I didn't like how it would make me feel stoned.

One buddy who's now 29 was on Ritalin for years... guy had a breakdown two years ago and went psychotic. Now he's on anti psychotic meds and it somewhat back to normal... until the anti-psychotic stuff whacks him out.

I had another buddy that was prescribed Prozac when he was only 18. Helluva guy... they shipped him off to live with his father right after he started Prozac. A couple of days later, he shot his father in the head and killed him.

Then there is the other kid who was being fed all sorts of 'straightening out' medications when we were younger. He went totally nuts when he was about 19 and got arrested in a child daycare center for claiming to be Jesus... I don't even know if he ever got fixed.

Sounds crazy, but I actually grew up with these guys.

I don't think anyone should mess with altering a child's mind through medication, no matter what. Wait for it to fully develop before you look for anything wrong to fix, geez...

(Even my own Sister, whos an RN in neo-natal, actually started freaking out because my nephew didn't begin talking RIGHT when she expected him to. It only took a little while longer than she expected, but not out of the norn. She was already calling all sorts of doctors and wondering if he was autistic and should start seeking help...AW GEEZ... the kid is probably a friggin Genius and just had nothing good to say.)

[edit on 24-6-2006 by vinrock]

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I hear ya, my sister in law's brother has been on Ritalin for a while. He seems to have become, well, emotionless. He says he is going to stop taking it, he's allmost old enough to be able to make his own decision about it. I just wait for people who take these things to just explode one day, because there emotions are just suppressed back and bottled up, then boom it comes out, and they kill somebody or themselves. He tried to get off of the stuff before, but from what I remember her saying, he was throwing up a lot. Must be some powerful sh*t. I'm just glad I never went to see the counselor when I was in school.

Troy

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Ok. I read that whole article and I'm at a loss for words... I just don't see how they are allowing people with only a high school education to shock anyone, let alone kids. I wouldn't care if it was my own son knocking his retinas loose, there's no way I'd let anyone shock him. Especially not someone who doesn't have a lot of education in it... That's just... wrong... on so many levels...

new topics

top topics

join