It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe Threatens no Visa for Americans

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Europeans have never liked Americans very much.

If you read their newspapers, you will find that in Europeans culture there is a lot of anti-Americanism. The society mocks US very often.

Now European Ministers have threatened the US citizens with sanctions.

Americans may no longer be welcomed in Europe.

I think Russians are making them turn hard against the US.

You can't trust the Ruskies.

Cold war was never over.

www.independent.co.uk...

news.independent.co.uk...

No Visas

[edit on 20-6-2006 by mr conspiracy]

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The Europeans need to know we're not all that crazy over them either.......
in fact, a good many Americans detest foreigners (I didn't say all).
There's alot of them we'd like to see leave our country......

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   
This is mearly a retalitory step against the ever greater amount of personal information the US govenment is requiring when traveling to the US. For example the US requires biometric passports yet most countries don't isssue them. I live in Europe and I don't hate Americans... people make so many broad genralisations just becuse the policys of the US govenment are so despised.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   
i went over to europe and i thought everyone was very kind. i do know that they do have issues with our government. but if you go over there and dont act like a total incomptitent pompous ass they wont be mean to you just because you are american...at least most of them wont. Too many americans try to act like they own everything though. i think that is their problem with us. its very similar to how americans have issues with the french. Mostly because we think they act stuffy and full of themselves. its all a matter of perspective really. but i think they have every right to tell us they dont want us coming over there. i mean, i think it would be really sad and immature if it came to that, but i mean, they shouldnt have to tolerate crap from us, just as me as an american shouldnt have to take crap from anyone else.

Digitalgrl

[edit on 10/01/2004 by DigitalGrl]

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Ahh... Articles like these are just feeding the divide. Just to lock in more Anti-Europe or Anti-US reactions like those posted earlier in this thread. Wake up people!!!

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I don't think the visas requirement would be a good idea. It would cut down on visits from America to Europe and Europe to America for vacations. Thus hurting businesses and airlines. The US would also make visas applicable to countries that now demand one that didn't previously.

I can see the EU's point on the recipicle agreement on some member nations needing a visa entering the US. While the US doesn't in some countries.

Maybe the US opening up and not requiring visas for the new EU members. But if those newer EU member countries tourists "over stay" and want to live in the US, then the US should go back to the way it is. I don't know if these countries have a higher over stay than other countries, as this was not discussed in the article.

Trying to imtimidate the US to change the visa situtation with a visa for Americans, then the EU better be ready to accept the consequences of less tourist money.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr conspiracy
Europeans have never liked Americans very much.

I never noticed that, and I am an 43 years old European.

If you read their newspapers, you will find that in Europeans culture there is a lot of anti-Americanism. The society mocks US very often.

I have always read European newspapers and I never found an anti-Americanism common to all newspapers, the anti-American sentiments that I have seen were always personal opinions stated by readers or opinions of the writers, even when the USA sent some war ships to Lisbon after the April revolution, maybe to see if they could scare the communists (they didn't, they are still here).

You do not need the Russians for that, the US is good enough at making people turning against them.

Cold war was never over.

And can we trust the Yankees?

I never understood, and even tried it with a thread created by me to asked just that, why do the US citizens always speak of hate.

If I was a psychologist I may had some ideas for the reason of these "hate complex".

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
To respond on why US citizens speak of hate. And this is my opinion.

If you are not from the US, why aren't you posting any conspiracies, problems, issues, etc about your country? If you look at most of the posts the US is far and away the leading subject. Probably most of the posters are from America, but many are not. The US is the biggest and easiest target, and probably most fun to talk about.

Can we hear of some of your problems. Will you share them. They are important too. Making things more balanced. Until many start questioning there own
countries, politicians, racism problems, religous problems, immigrant issuers, and social problems. (and not blaming an imperial USA for your problem for everything.)

Because of lack of discussion of some of their own country, but strong view of the US. We can not have a strong view of your country and this is not fair. Is your country perfect? If you do not have a favorable view of the US policies, people etc. You get to talk about and form a thoughtful opinion or bash, but we do not get examine your problems in your country or issues fairly or at times unfairly.

So to see many negative posts againt the United States seems like piling on at times to me , hateful, jealous and scared. Sometime it is warranted, but sometimes it isn't

Please open your culture up to examination more, so we can show you our view. Maybe the you will call me hateful or not, but at least we are opened up for examination and allegations.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Euopeans don't hate Americans. They hate American government policies.

And what has Russia got to do with what Euopeans think?

We Euro's can think for ourselves you know...

I had a funny experience, I moved to the States from UK. When I went back to visit, I guess my accent changed cause everyone thought I was American.
But I was treated just like any other person, they were genuingly interested in me.
I was asked questions like 'What's a Yank doing in Burton?' (my home town, don't get a lot of tourists...lol). But it wasn't asked in a nasty way, no diff than if they'd asked 'Whats a Londoner doing in Burton?' or whatever.

Why are American so insecure you have to worry all the time about who likes you
Like a child who constantly need reasurance that you're loved.
With the war in Iraq though, why would you be surprised if they did hate you?

I do find though that Americans seem to hate other countries far more than those countries hate you

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   

So what. Europe doesn't want our people spending
their vacations .. and their MONEY ... over there?

That's THEIR loss and our gain. Americans can stay at
home and vacation. Disney World, the Grand Canyon,
Hawaii, etc etc etc.

Who needs Americans to spend vacation $$ in Europe?
Only the Europeans. The USA is big enough for all of
us to vacation here and have a great time.

to the euros who don't want us!!!

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Yes! Some smart clear thinking people!!!

Europeans like Americans! They do not like the policies of our governments, especially this one. We make it a nightmare for them to come here---they are simply reciprocating! Who can blame them? I dont. Dont fall for the "they hate us" propaganda. This government would love you to be against every country so you feel this is the only place in the world we are accepted and we better deal with their crap because the world doesnt like "us"

That's B.S. In fact, the world is very concerned about us. I know people from outside the US and they do not have a problem with us. THEIR PROBLEM IS WITH THIS ADMINISTRATION. Of course, this government generalizes it to make themselves feel better and somehow competent.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Europe's big enough for us all to holiday here too, so
right back

Anyway its basically a response to the US governments increased restrictions.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The Europeans may not like us much. But they sure like american money and the like. So what if they don't like us. It will not sway me either way.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Why would we like your money any more than each others money?

Also

It adds: "It is becoming increasingly difficult for us to explain to citizens of 10 member states that they will require short-stay visas while US citizens can travel without a visa obligation to all 25 EU member states."

Thats a perfectly fair issue. If you don't like it, why the hell should we put up with it?
you're not special.

[edit on 20/6/06 by dawa]

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sbob
If you are not from the US, why aren't you posting any conspiracies, problems, issues, etc about your country? If you look at most of the posts the US is far and away the leading subject. Probably most of the posters are from America, but many are not. The US is the biggest and easiest target, and probably most fun to talk about.

I have posted some things about our (Portuguese) problems, but apparently these things do not catch the attention of most of the US citizens.

I may have been looking in other threads, maybe your favourite topics mean little or nothing to me and vice-versa, that is no reason to feel hated or angry.

Be cool, Summer is almost here, relax, I can assure you that I have never met a single person who hated the US.

As for the visas, that news piece says:

[ext]
It said: "The [European] Commission will be under increasing pressure to announce the prospect of reciprocal measures as enshrined in our visa law, possibly in respect of diplomatic and service passport holders."
[/ext]

They may announce reciprocal measures.

What would citizens from Iowa, for example, feel if they were asked visas to visit Europe but the citizens from other states had not that obligation? What would be the reaction of the US government.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Cold war was never over.

How do you tie in what is happening in EU and Russia? Since when does Russia dictate to the EU their policies. Most of EU is very anti-Russian and anti-Putin. They try to keep good relations because they depend on Russia for energy resources. EU has always been to some extent pro-US. This is a personal quarrel between EU and US. Trust the Russians? After the fall of the Soviet Union Russia did not interfere or even mind anyone's politics beyond a few countries on its border. Russians could not care less about American visas and EU policies.

Cold War is over, for Russia at least. Russia does not want to expand, it does not want communism, it does not want any type of war, and it does not want to isolate Europe from US for any reason what-so-ever. Alot of people in US and Europe are still paranoid of bad old Russkies. Maybe they should be more paranoid of each other.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   
ArMaP,

I don't quite think it is the same as Iowa analogy as you stated.

As Poland, France, Spain, Italy etc. all have individual olympic teams, UN membership etc. Oh, and World Cup Soccer teams. The EU should only have one football team in the tournament if the EU is to have one region specialized passport.

Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Texas and etc. We have membership in Walmarts stores , and no embassies around the world for each state.

The EU is more like the Southern states in the USA would have been after out civil war, a confederacy. States Rights.

The States have more power than the central government. IE. Germany and the Netherlands have more local power than the EU government. Like Germany has it's own army. Even though the EU central government exerts much power, it does not trump the local countries on most things. When Europe gets a unified military then I, to me, Europe will be a more central government entity. The Euro is a step. And some or all countries might want to keep from the total merging.

In the USA the federal government has the most power. Even though the states have lots of flexibility and power.

There is a huge difference in your analogy.

But I do agree with you in principle.

I'm just saying if you are in the EU, you are still an independent country too. I know all countries have to be on the same standards of allowing passports. But as a confederacy of countries some countries might still be lagging on tightness of security, as the countries are issueing the passports in there countries as a EU passport.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawa
Europe's big enough for us all to holiday here too, so
right back

Whatever. If Euros don't like Americans then THEY can stay home
and keep their money too. I'm sure the euros would be much happier
staying there then coming all the way here just to whine about us.

Point is ... if restrictions are put on Americans at the same time
Euros are saying they don't like Americans ... then screw 'em.
We can all vacation here just fine.

The american-hating euros should be happier without Americans
running around. Of course ... they'll miss the money we'd spend.
But that's the bed they created to sleep in ... nighty-night and
don't let the bed bugs bite.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Now European Ministers have threatened the US citizens with sanctions.

Well you don't make it easier for Europeans too to enter your country with these biometric passports. You are putting a lot of pressure on Europe to just arrange it.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
.... why do the US citizens always speak of hate. If I was a psychologist
I may had some ideas for the reason of these "hate complex".

You are kidding, right?

With all the threads floating around here by foreigners
saying that they hate America; hate our politics; hate
the administration; hate loud Americans; hate Americans
who are proud of our country; etc etc etc .... with all those
anti-Americans around here you are asking why AMERICANS
always speak of hate? Perhaps you should be looking
at all the non-Americans and THEIR hate. There is certainly
much more of that.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join