It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US: If N. Korea Launches Missile Without Notice, Can't Assume it is Test

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
The Defense Department says in the absence of any statement by the North Korean government it will not be possible to know whether a widely expected missile launch is a test or an attack.

www.globalsecurity.org
Spokesman Bryan Whitman would not confirm reports that North Korea is preparing to launch a long-range missile, saying he could not discuss intelligence matters. But he says if there is a launch without any advance notice from the government in Pyongyang, there will be no basis on which to assume it is only a test.

"'Test' would, to me, indicate that you are doing something like an exercise," he said. "You are testing a missile. 'Test' has intent behind it, as opposed to launching a missile. When you are launching a missile, to me, you [others] do not know what the intent of the launch is, you [others] do not know if the launch is intended to be a test or something else."

The Pentagon spokesman hinted to reporters that if North Korea launches a missile the United States might use its new missile defense system.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

To me this an interesting story. Why would North Korea give notice to the US in advance of its missile strike(if it gives notice in advance it will appear weak to its own people and the outside world. However, by the US striking down this "test" missile the US will continue to look like the strong hand throughout the world.

Regardless of how this will make the US look to the outside world, it is important that we strike down any long range missile North Korea might possess that is capable of hitting the US. For any positive results of this test will no doubt embolden the North Korean's as to pursuing long range missiles even further.

[edit on 20/6/2006 by Mirthful Me]

[edit on 20-6-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I can not wait until we shoot this sucker down. Then the world can see our tax-dollars did not go to waste when we invested in thsi thing, and are going to feel pretty crunchy when we are the only ones on the block who have the capability to shoot down ICBM's.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
It will be interesting to see if the Interceptor's work, I know they have had several failed tests with them in the past.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Frankly, I'm not too confident in the interceptors yet.

What makes me even more unsettled is knowing that I live(California) in the potential path of one of these. Supposedly even the Mid West could be targetted by one of these North Korean Missiles.

join