It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Activates Missile Defense System

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Which will cost us more? The 3 power plants or a crazy patchwork alleged so-called anti-missile missile system? You can't hit a bullet with a bullet. Get over it.

You guys would never have made in the the 14th century.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by donwhiteYou can't hit a bullet with a bullet. Get over it.

Next you're going to tell us you can't hit a plane with a SAM. It's proven technology man.

While the Patriot missile system did fail to live up to the hype surrounding the system, a good percentage of them did their job, and many scuds were snatched from the sky.

While the PMS (nice acronym isn't it) probably can't be considered cost effective, it's not really a fair comparison to an ICBM defense system, namely the us National Missile Defense system. Missile defense systems aimed at garding the US from intercontinental ballistic threats are much more advanced, with more effective methods employed, and yes, much more expensive.

Look at it this way, if there were tactical nukes inbound, would you rather do nothing but hope to survive the blasts, or take a shot at the inbound and hope for the best?

Another thing to remember, is that missile defense systems consist of much more than missile to missile pot shots. While catching the offending ICBM on immediately after launch is the best bet, remember, ICBM's spend a period of time basically in low orbit where they're incredibly vulnerable to satellite defense systems.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I'd put a LOT more faith in the Aegis system that the USS Lake Eerie has been testing in Hawaii insted of the Ground Based Interceptor. The Lake Eerie is 7 of 8 in testing, with one miss caused by the SM-3 failing. GBI is like 1 of 6 or so.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
Perhaps this missle launch is in fact Kim attempting to test the capabilites of our missle defense? Perhaps we are playing right into his hands? Either way I have full faith we can shoot it down.

That makes sense to me too...I reckon N.K. would be deliberately aiming to enter US airspace, so prompting an anti-missile launch, which would be a win-win situation for both NK and US, or a win-lose advantage to NK at worst.

win-win scenario:

NK would be able to boast that it could strike the west coast of the US if it launched a massed missile-offensive if the single NK test-rocket is shot down by US ABM batteries, any weakness in the defence network or delay in interception would preyed upon by NK seeking any future tactical advantage ...If the NK test-rocket is shot down, the US would be able to prove the reliabilty and worth of the ABM program to defend against inbound missiles and congress approve far more funding to the M.I. complex for further research into ABM technology

win-lose scenario:

NK launches its test-rocket and it lands as intended in shallow waters on the west coast of the US after ABM batteries fail to shoot it down...NK claims a military advantage, Chineses military observers take lots of notes and the Whitehouse push bills through congress to escalate military research spending...

Either way, you can guarantee that China will be taking a great deal of interest in the test flight

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I don't think North Korea has any grand scheme to use this missile to gather Intel on our ABM capability, however if we try to intercept and fail then it will be bad for us but I don't think that's North Koreas primary intention. Like Jim said its more political then military, North Korea is suffering badly from US imposed sanctions, they see Iran getting concessions to not develop a nuclear program, yet they have longer range missiles and a self proclaimed nuclear capability but no concessions. Perhaps Kim is playing his missile card?

Also, I doubt China strongly supports a North Korean missile launch, if launched, whether or not the missile is intercepted it will strengthen US-SK-Japan military ties and will increase military cooperation, development, and build up of ABM systems and of military forces in the region. And that is not in China’s interests. Long terms implications of this launch are not good, for North Korea and for China.

Link

top topics

<< 1   >>

join