It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Popular Science solves energy problems, USA exports oil?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I found a pretty good article in Popular Science about using existing technology to really help the energy problem. There were 10 possible energy solutions which may all contribute in the future to a better tomorrow. However I found the following quote interesting

says Daniel Kammen, director of the University of California at Berkeley’s Renewable and Appropriate Energy Laboratory. "If the current U.S. vehicle fleet were replaced overnight with PHEVs, oil consumption would decrease by 70 to 90 percent, eliminating the need for oil imports and leaving the U.S. self-sufficient in oil for many years to come."

quote from www.popsci.com...

Do you agree with this assessment? Even if it takes time to get there, the energy picture looks much brighter in my opinion.

For the full Popular Science articles which I believe are worth reading, here is the link. Just click on each item 1 through 10 to get the full story.
www.popsci.com...

In case someone is wondering PHEV is a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle as stated within the link above.

[edit on 20-6-2006 by orionthehunter]

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 12:15 AM
link   
The future can be bright, we've just got to take control of it and realize we are not contrained by the oil companies.

Troy

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I prefer the use of the solar collector for powering the battery.

Most of our cars sit out in the sun while we are at work quite literally baking.

Taking advantage of that energy effectively to charge the vehicle's battery
would save you a fortune on your electric and gasoline bills.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   
It would be nice if our government was doing more to promote and aid in the implementation of these useful alternative energy sources. Cutting our dependence on foreign oil seems like it would be a major benefit to our country but our country doesn't seem to be doing much to help wean us off of oil. I know many would like the market to drive everything but doing so risks major shortfalls on the energy supply side.

I believe major tax breaks for alternative energy producers and users along with help in implementing plug in cars with flexible fuel among other energy incentives would really help.

I would be for some government aid to companies trying to sell and implement alternative energy projects that benefit the majority of people and save us all money as well.

Just a feasible government plan or big industry plan similiar to what Popular Science has done in the previous links might help us all. Perhaps oil companies could spend their billions of profit to become new alternative energy companies and propel the US and other countries into a new bright energy future.

I believe we all want cheap energy but I believe it's better to have a plan rather than let the market fumble along and hope all the kinks get worked out. I know I would be ok if big oil became big alternative energy instead and we all saved money at the pump or electric meter.

The money going overseas would stay here in the US. I believe it would be really sad if our government, big oil, etc. and other industries don't promote and spend money to implement cheap alternative energy. The companies make money, the US consumer saves money, and the US becomes self sufficient as far as energy is concerned. Sorry if this turned into a rant, I just would like to see more being done quicker here in the US.

[edit on 20-6-2006 by orionthehunter]

MBF

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

Most of our cars sit out in the sun while we are at work quite literally baking.

Taking advantage of that energy effectively to charge the vehicle's battery
would save you a fortune on your electric and gasoline bills.

I have been saying this for years. If the body panels of the cars were solar cells, they could charge batteries or convert water to oxygen and hydrogen for fuel cells all day long.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I fail to understand why every bulding doesn't have a roofing material made from solar cells. Every home, office and warehouse could be feeding the power grid during the day while energy demands are at the highest, and then draw back from the power grid after the sun goes down.

In areas that have a reliable and steady wind flow could also add small wind turbines on the property to supplement energy production.

During times that your home is feeding power out you would be getting a credit for what you give back, and then when your home consumption increases in the evening you will be charged for the electricity you use. Sort of a two way hydro meter.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MBF

I have been saying this for years. If the body panels of the cars were solar cells, they could charge batteries or convert water to oxygen and hydrogen for fuel cells all day long.

Solar cells cost alot of money that could easily add tens even hundreds of thousands of dollars to cars cost. The solar races cars like the "American Solar Challenge race" those cars cost as much as $1,000,000 to make and most of that cost is solar cells and batteries and these are super light one seaters you wouldnt want to get into a crash with a geo in because you would get the worst of it.

link

[edit on 21-6-2006 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MBF

So you think solar cells, which are around 10% efficent, are going to charge batteries or make hydrogen to run through a fuel cell to make electricity, are going to move a 3500lbs family car?

Physics major, right?

MBF

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Number23

So you think solar cells, which are around 10% efficent, are going to charge batteries or make hydrogen to run through a fuel cell to make electricity, are going to move a 3500lbs family car?

Physics major, right?

No. Mechanical engineering. I was offered a full scolarship in physics though while I was in college.

I know that this configuration will NOT run a large car all day long, but could be used for short comutes to work or to the store in a small car. Most people don't drive their car all day long, most of the day it is sitting in a parking lot.

Your major?

Solar cells cost alot of money that could easily add tens even hundreds of thousands of dollars to cars cost. The solar races cars like the "American Solar Challenge race" those cars cost as much as $1,000,000 to make and most of that cost is solar cells and batteries and these are super light one seaters you wouldnt want to get into a crash with a geo in because you would get the worst of it.

I realize that the solar race cars have a lot of money tied up in them, but they are one of a kind speciality cars that may use the newest exotic solar cell to get just a little edge over the competitors. Large scale mass production would bring the price way down.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Solar is only one way to produce energy, but it can be part of the solution of clean power. Oil may have been "king," but I bet it can be de-throned.

Troy

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MBF

I realize that the solar race cars have a lot of money tied up in them, but they are one of a kind speciality cars that may use the newest exotic solar cell to get just a little edge over the competitors. Large scale mass production would bring the price way down.

Mass production would clearly lower the price but what you suggest is way more complex then a direct solar car. You suggested a Hydrogen fueled car that also produces its own hydrogen with solar energy. It takes alot of energy which = cost to make hydrogen with electrolysis something like $8-9 per kilogram and thats using normal and cheaper energy sources which solar energy really isnt right now in terms of cost per kilowatt-hour.

So your talking about a car thats not only going to cost way more then normal cars but run on fuel that cost something like $30 plus a gallon.

The cost on all this tech would have to come down a huge amount to have any chance of taking off.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   
As much as all of this is a good idea, you know it won't happen at least in the next 25 years.

The status quo will be maintained as long as Oil Lobbyists, and Big- Oil Republicans remain alive and in office. Maintaining the status quo, is all that concerns them.

Notice instead of embracing new ideas the Gubment, made a paltry gesture to learn new fuel alternatives, for our addiction to foreign oil. Hmm Mr. Bush, don't you think you and your family has helped that Oil along a little?"

Love yer Jesus, Love yer Rifle, Love yer Gas-Guzzlin SUV, as long as "I'm" making money on oil. The rich get richer, stay rich, and the poor are all obviously tree-hugging, green tie dyed flag waving beatnick hippies, with upstart wacko ideas which will shake-the big oil money, right off the tree.

(addendum) I have nothing against Christians, Nor Tree Hugging Hippies, lol.

I felt ranty...

-ADHD

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
People.. do you research. BMW has been doing this for years AND have 2 cars that are almost ready for production

www.bmwworld.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by scoobdude
People.. do you research. BMW has been doing this for years AND have 2 cars that are almost ready for production

www.bmwworld.com...

I dont know about almost ready for production 3 years atleast and then it will be only available in the 7 series BMW as a option that will allow it to run on gas or hydrogen. The BMW car also will not produce its own hydrogen it will be created at solar powered plants and cost a pretty penny compared to gas. They had to go the route because if they produced a "clean" hydrogen car and it got its hydrogen thanks to oil powerplants the whole concept is really pointless.

The 7 series cost over 100K without any fancy hydrogen engine. So I guess $30 a gallon fuel wont matter if you can drop 100k on a car.

So do some research yourself and see this tech is still way too expensive for the average person. Not to say it wont come down it very likely will but BMW and for that matter any car company havent had this tech at a competive price and they still dont.

[edit on 22-6-2006 by ShadowXIX]

MBF

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

Mass production would clearly lower the price but what you suggest is way more complex then a direct solar car. You suggested a Hydrogen fueled car that also produces its own hydrogen with solar energy. It takes alot of energy which = cost to make hydrogen with electrolysis something like $8-9 per kilogram and thats using normal and cheaper energy sources which solar energy really isnt right now in terms of cost per kilowatt-hour.

So your talking about a car thats not only going to cost way more then normal cars but run on fuel that cost something like $30 plus a gallon.

The cost on all this tech would have to come down a huge amount to have any chance of taking off.

The reason that I suggest a more complex car is the time factor for the car to operate. Let that sucker be storing up energy while it sits in the parking lot not doing anything else.

You are very correct about the high cost of producing hydrogen this way at the present technology, but our understanding of solar cells and how to make them more efficient will increase as we move forward with these projects. I remember a teacher of mine paid $300 for a calculator that would calculate square roots when I was in high school, you can get the same thing today for$3. I paid $2700 for my first computer(a top of the line 386) which you couldn't even think about loading even a small program now. I even keep a slide rule on my desk by my computer that I used in high school to remind me of how far technology has advanced in my lifetime.

ape

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
heh I love how people always state how we need to be dependent on foreign oil etc etc etc when they fail to realize that the oil market is key for the US economy, have you forgotten who's currency payment is the standard for oil? all of a sudden we stick our noses up at them giving thejm the finger they will switch petro currencies in a heatbeat to the euro which is already being pondered and watch the decline oh let me rephrase CRASH LANDING of the US dollar which is already happening. This is very delicate and with current spending we would have to ensure an industy and a monopoly on this industry if you ever want to see the kind of returns you see from oil.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 12:31 AM
link   
the hydrogen car. where i work we make parts for these cars. check it out, chaska, minnesota. the powerplant, a small engine was used to power a builing. the mayor was there and some officials. it ran on water. it powered the building. it was in the chaska newspapers and the tribune in minneapolis. we have cars and busses that run on this. the exhaust is water. it separates the hydrogen from the water. as we know the hydrogen is explosive , this runs the pistons. there is also the TESLA MOTORS.COM. a car that runs on a rechargeable battery. check it out, but the car is soooo exspensive. it goes from 0-60 in four seconds. no shiii, very nice, out of my budget tho. and it goes 130 miles per hour.

ape

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   
well i guess what the US has to do now is get a monopoly on all the oceans rivers and lakes !!!!!

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 12:44 AM
link   
i sure hope america gets onboard all this new technology, so we can get off the oil we are hooked on, besides it is a mess to the environment. we need this new tech so we can get off the dependence for oil.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 12:48 AM
link   
If I recall correctly Steam driven cars were pretty clean themselves. They ran on kerosine to heat the water. The Stanley Steamer (the car not the carpet company) could do about 130 miles an hour. I bet if we reviseted this consept we might find our answer is in the old steam engine with hydrogen fuel cells. the exhaust could suplement the boiler.

I know archaic but thats me

top topics

<<   2 >>

join